5 years of Fellaini

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
How do you judge five years of Fellaini at Man United? - Football365

I've never hidden my feelings on the guy but how do you judge him?

According to Wikipedia he has made 151 appearences in all competitions for Utd over his 5 seasons with us scoring 19 goals. This season has been tough for him as he's been struggling with a recurring injury that has limited him to just 18 appearences. Leaves the club with 1 League Cup, 1 FA Cup & 1 Europa League and possibly a runners up medal and another FA Cup depending on how this season plays out. He's also played 3 seasons in the CL something I don't think he'd done before.

His biggest moment in a Utd shirt was probably his goal vs Everton in the FA Cup semi final under LVG.

The way I'd describe it is rather than raising his own performance level to that of a Man Utd player Man Utd players level dropped to his level. That is not because of him by the way it was just years of bad investments basically turned us from a team that could win the league in to a team that was struggling to make the top 4. I don't think Fellaini is a midfielder you can win titles with as the skills he has are not effective on a consistent enough basis.

Had other investments worked out as planned he probably would have been gone sooner but it was clear the centre mids signed under LVG (Herrera, Blind, Schweinstieger & Schniederlin) were no better than Fellaini so he was kept around.

So I think the way I see it is he was never good enough and shouldn't have been signed but he's worked backside off and done everything that was asked of him to the best of his ability. He's had some highs and lows on the pitch all while getting a tough time from fans so I think he can hold his head up high.

I can't be bothered to read an article about him. My opinion is he is one lucky lad, should never have been signed and has no qualities required of a Man Utd player. I can't think of anyone of the top of my head who played for us with a poorer touch. Can trap a ball further than I kick it, to quote Big Ron

The word I would use is underwhelming for sure.

He was never good enough for us but he was a player that Moyes trusted so we got stuck with him. I think he’s done okay at times and has played to the best of his abilities. He’s won us some games when we employ the launch the ball to Fellaini tactic but similarly he’s lost us some games with his clumsiness in his tackling.

He’s come to the end of the road here now, he needs to go find somewhere that is more his level. Some of the criticism he received from fans has been deplorable - you just don’t boo your own player when he’s about to come on as a sub. Not a great signing but not a god awful one either.

What was interesting was when I had a bit of a look Moyes signed him but then didn't play him very often can't recall if he had injury probelems that season but I'd say his worst season was the Moyes season when he was often asked to play in a midfield 2 alongside someone like Carrick and it really didn't work. When we changed to playing more of a 3 under LVG he was much better and similarly under Jose used in a 3 he was a useful if not spectacular player.

I think this easiest way to sum up my feelings on the guy is it’s rumoured he may go to Liverpool. And I couldn’t care if he did.

Imagine playing for Everton, United and Liverpool in your career. Never going to happen!

He's been alright at times and has been useful. Poor first season, laughable at home to Bayern but the only good performance I remember was under Giggs when he played alongside James Wilson upfront against Hull. The end of Van Gaal's first season where he implemented that 4-3-3 and had Fellaini on the left of the 3 working with Ashley Young, he was really good. Did very well in helping us win the FA Cup the season after and helped win the Europa League. His performance off the bench against Real Madrid in the Super Cup at the start of the season showed he can make a big difference against teams that don't like dealing with him. He made a difference in our latest win against Liverpool too, we were stuck in our own half an he gave us an extra way out along with Lukaku. And I do think that if he'd been fit all season we might be in a better place because he's a right pain in the arse for big games and we've not been able to rotate much in midfield due to injuries for Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini, while it sounds like Matic has played most of the season with a problem.

That said, he's not the sort of player we really want and will hopefully be replaced with real quality and not with a similar player, i'm not sure there is another Fellaini mind, I hope not anyway!

Imagine when the dust settles in 20-30 years and he tells his grandkids he played 5 years for United and turned down a new deal to start longer. They will think he was some sort of god. Collectively we need to try and erase the last 5 years of him out of our lives. If there's any therapists you could be needed.

I know there has been a contract on the table for him for months, is it still available to him?

Do we think it's gone past the point where he will re-sign? I'm kinda hoping he has a move open to him and it's just not public knowledge yet. It would be crazy of his agent not to have something lined up and rebuff Utd surely. I have horror thoughts of him signing again at the last minute.

I wonder if JM is not playing him as he has said he wont be here next season?

To me he will always typify the Moyes era. He was never good enough to be signed and the way he was signed was one big mess up. But still he came in and he gave it his all. He's not a talented player and he's certainly not a United player. But sadly he forged a way in to this team because of the kind of player he is, the manager we brought in and the fact that this club has not been the same since Fergie left.

He made the most of what he has. He made the most of limited ability. He had a few high points and a lot of bad moments and games. I won't be sad to see him go but I also won't be cheering and whooping about it. And I guess ultimately that's probably the biggest compliment I can pay him. He did enough to not make me celebrate his eventual Departure.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back