28 top-flight games unbeaten on the road

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure it really counts when you have all those games without fans.

Nice to have the record and the team can be proud of it even in the strange circumstances but trophies are what matter in the end.

We weren't the only team playing in empty stadiums. But no other team had managed it.

True but the record we broke was set by teams playing in front of fans.

It’s a great achievement over a whole season unbeaten away from home but these weren’t normal away games.

True but the record we broke was set by teams playing in front of fans.

It’s a great achievement over a whole season unbeaten away from home but these weren’t normal away games.
And I don't think it'll be too long until that away record is ended. But hey if United win more home games then that's the key to it. As De Gea said, it isn't about records, it is about titles.

PR and propaganda - this counts for very little when teams that haven't done it win trophies. I'm beginning to think we have the same PR team as the Tories... deflect and crow about irrelevancies

Next four away fixtures:

Leicester City(16th October)
Spurs(30th October)
Watford(20th November)
Chelsea(28th November)

Put money on the run ending against Watford, based on nothing.

next away is 16th Oct! is there another bloody international week coming up?

Yep 2nd weekend in October is internationals and then there's another one in November I think after that internationals stop until March time.

Before that we've got Villa and Everton at home and Villareal in Europe.

Why are so many playing the record down, historically we're poor on the road, hell when I first starting watching United if we went 3 or 4 games without losing away from home it felt like an achievement.

Why are so many playing the record down, historically we're poor on the road, hell when I first starting watching United if we went 3 or 4 games without losing away from home it felt like an achievement.
Well I think partly because it was mainly done without crowds? Also because this long run means nothing without ending in a title. And also because its being offset against their poor home form.

If it was so easy to do because there were no crowds why isn't every other club on an English top flight record breaking unbeaten run?

It seems easy for some to admonish Ole’s flaws but very hard to actually congratulate the achievements. Who really cares if it wasn’t in front or crowds, it’s a brilliant achievement.

Yes it would be nice to turn this run into trophies but that doesn’t downplay the fact that it is an achievement.

If it was so easy to do because there were no crowds why isn't every other club on an English top flight record breaking unbeaten run?
At what point did I say it was easy to do? Umm no I didn't. Read the post.

At what point did I say it was easy to do? Umm no I didn't. Read the post.

Someone asked why it was being downplayed. You said 'because it was without crowds'.

That implies that you think it was easy because the crowds weren't there. So again if it's because it was without crowds why isn't everyone on an unbeaten run. It's just looking for excuses to not give any credit.

As you say some are 'fan boys' others are the complete opposite and can't give any praise even where due.

Someone asked why it was being downplayed. You said 'because it was without crowds'.

That implies that you think it was easy because the crowds weren't there. So again if it's because it was without crowds why isn't everyone on an unbeaten run. It's just looking for excuses to not give any credit.
No. Someone asked why it was being downplayed and I gave possible reasons / explanations why. That's very different. I didn't say it was easy. I didn't say any team could do it. I wasn't taking credit away. I was merely giving explanations why people downplay the unbeaten streak.

Well I think partly because it was mainly done without crowds? Also because this long run means nothing without ending in a title. And also because its being offset against their poor home form.

If anything achieving it without crowds makes it even better for me. When United sign players they want those that don't cower when they get dogs abuse but are motivated by it so playing in front of partisan crowds isn't really a problem, and those that come through the Academy system are conditioned from an early age what to expect so it's not an issue for them either, and then there's United's away support which is by quite some distance the best in the Country and that's not even open to debate, and they weren't there to drive the team on the numerous timed we went behind.

It hasn't ended yet!

If anything achieving it without crowds makes it even better for me. When United sign players they want those that don't cower when they get dogs abuse but are motivated by it so playing in front of partisan crowds isn't really a problem, and those that come through the Academy system are conditioned from an early age what to expect so it's not an issue for them either, and then there's United's away support which is by quite some distance the best in the Country and that's not even open to debate, and they weren't there to drive the team on the numerous timed we went behind.

It hasn't ended yet!
Come again? United want players that don't cower when they get dogs abuse but are motivated by it... So tell me again how exactly does that relate to their unbeaten run when for the most part there's been no fans in the stadium? Sorry bud but your point makes no sense.

Come again? United want players that don't cower when they get dogs abuse but are motivated by it... So tell me again how exactly does that relate to their unbeaten run when for the most part there's been no fans in the stadium? Sorry bud but your point makes no sense.

If you don't believe they'd have got the same results away from home if the stadiums had been full it won't, I genuinely believe with the squad we have and the phenomenal away support that they would.

I maybe could probably have made a better fist of trying to explain it, but it's a sad state of affairs when some fans would rather downplay a great achievement because it would have meant having to give credit to Ole and the lads with reasons/excuses that can't be proven one way or the another.

I maybe could probably have made a better fist of trying to explain it, but it's a sad state of affairs when some fans would rather downplay a great achievement because it would have meant having to give credit to Ole and the lads with reasons/excuses that can't be proven one way or the another.
I think you're creating an agenda there. You asked the question why the record is being downplayed. I gave you so reasons why that may be.

Now look if you want to believe that United would have gone on the same run with fans in the stadium then good for you. We will never know.

I think you're creating an agenda there. You asked the question why the record is being downplayed. I gave you so reasons why that may be.

Now look if you want to believe that United would have gone on the same run with fans in the stadium then good for you. We will never know.

It's the same players, Manager and tactics, same League position pressure so no I don't believe for a second it would have made any difference.

I'm not sure why a fan of the club would suggest it would, rival fans and WUM's yes.

But as you say we'll never know, maybe time to move on.

It's the same players, Manager and tactics, same League position pressure so no I don't believe for a second it would have made any difference.

I'm not sure why a fan of the club would suggest it would, rival fans and WUM's yes.

But as you say we'll never know, maybe time to move on.
So home advantage counts for nothing?

How's the home record looking btw lads?

Look what Utd have done is great but it's resulted in zero trophies which is what really matters and a huge chunk of the games were played behind closed doors which does need to be factored in as the statistics showed last season we saw a lot more away wins than normal.

If Ole can match the home form to the away form he's on to a winner.

Huh? The home team have always got an advantage whether the stadium is full or empty. The fact that there were apparently more away wins than normal last season proves nothing.

Well I think it implies that a home crowd plays a role in the game certainly can provide the home team to have an extra bit of energy to find a goal or even sway a ref to give you marginal calls or perhaps wind up an opponent to put them of their game.

Huh? The home team have always got an advantage whether the stadium is full or empty. The fact that there were apparently more away wins than normal last season proves nothing.
So the home team has an advantage whether the stadium is full or empty? And it is just pure coincidence that last year, with empty stadiums there were more away wins? Interesting analysis.

I think the home team has an adavantage because they are used to the stadium. Used to the pitch, the changing rooms the feel of the ground empty or full. It's familiar, It comes with playing there 20+ times a season. When others only do it once or twice.

I know when I played, I much prefered playing at home, and they'd be no fans watching us haha

Its a fantastic record and not a fluke by any means
Still think Ole has reached his ceiling but must be congratulated on a excellent away run
Happy to give praise when he has done something well and happy to criticise when he does crap

Its a fantastic record and not a fluke by any means
Still think Ole has reached his ceiling but must be congratulated on a excellent away run
Happy to give praise when he has done something well and happy to criticise when he does crap
You're absolutely right. It is a fantastic record and it should be celebrated. It'll come to an end eventually and the record will take some beating by any team.

Well I think it implies that a home crowd plays a role in the game certainly can provide the home team to have an extra bit of energy to find a goal or even sway a ref to give you marginal calls or perhaps wind up an opponent to put them of their game.

Yeah but when Man Utd come to town that's not generally the case. The United section was strangely quiet yesterday but the Leicester fans were even worse, certainly the first half. I had to keep checking I didn't have mute on, and we got more 50/50 in our favour as well.

Home sides tend to attack more so are more likely to get penalties, or free-kicks in dangerous areas, and that would be the same if there was one man and his dog there, or 100,000.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back