2021 - Potentially The Best Year Since 1314

Shoot

Banned
For all the present hardship with the virus, people losing loved ones to the virus and people losing their businesses, jobs and income, we need to look at the positives, potential positives and all that could make 2021 a year in which we can find room to celebrate and look forward to our future LIVING, FREEDOM and hopeful PROSPERITY as the country looks to fight it's way out of the economic damage that has been done.

Brexit - I'm loving it, I have been a long time Brexiteer and I think the UK will prosper for it. That said, I believe in a strong UK and that is vital in my opinion. Times have changed since the bad old Thatcher days that I remember only too well. Devolution was very welcome and has brought some balance. Westminster now needs to further drive initiative to bring all the home countries together and make a truly United Kingdom. Wealth needs to be shared around the UK and not confined to the South East of the UK. The world is a much smaller place than it used to be and so is the UK, were not on horse and carts anymore!! The SNP need to wind their necks in.

Covid 19 - As the vaccination roll out increases the control measured shall likely slowly begin to ease around end of April, the hospitality industry shall begin to recover and indeed those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford to will be eager to get out and spread some wealth to help such businesses recover. We will by this time probably be free to travel around the UK again and visit family etc. By summer we will probably be welcomed abroad again and booking up sunshine holiday's abroad as well as welcoming tourists again (well Scotland anyway). By Autumn life will be getting close to back to normal, the arts will recover with the opening od theatres and concert halls, sports arena's will have spectators back, with the added bonus that for a time (possibly a short one) we will have a heightened sense of appreciation for it, and hopefully better respect for each other and a better sense of empathy for others.

Peoples Future Prospects - I do believe the UK will build their way out of the financial crisis, there is no reason why that should not be the case. We shall all be public spirited and spend in other industries and entertainment. We will support others, support our high streets etc, that said, you may want to consider supporting your local Cafe over McD's etc.

Football - The only way is up - God Bless Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Think big industry is here to stay but a better balance has to be found to support local business but the big players have so much buying power to keep prices low and attract customers and they offer consistency and quality that reflects that price. A cafe can’t knock out a half decent burger meal for under £5 like McDonalds can. I hope retail and hospitality can recover quickly once Covid is out the way and gaps in retail markets will emerge with collapses of big brands.

Brexit time will tell on that one the timing with Covid probably means we will never know it’s true impact as it happened at a time with such unique pressures and conditions. I didn’t support it felt it’s divided us more than united us and left us exposed as a service based economy what can we offer that other nations can’t do themselves.

With Covid hopefully out the way it’s time for Boris to deliver on his “levelling up” of the midlands and northern cities to distribute wealth and jobs away from the south east. Feel his work might be cut out keeping the Scots in the union.

I hope Brexit doesn't have a negative effect. It's still unknown. Farmers are worried that the country will be flooded with low quality food from the US killing their business in a race to the bottom. A fisherman has just said on BBC 2 he may have to move his factory to France as his entire staff are EU nationals.
And Covid has really blown things. Taxes here are definitely going to go up.

But there are always opportunities, I'm hopeful everything will be ok everywhere and things will even themselves out.

There was a piece on Radio 5 today, a bit odd. A geezer can take a cell from a chicken, and create the meat in a lab. At the moment it's only mince, and the only place to clear it is Singapore, but he wants to produce steaks and all cuts of meat, even Wagyu steaks. Meaning all the negative impact of the animal farming on the climate can be negated.
Creating business related to this and environmental work. This could be the big thing over the next few years the UK could take advantage of. Climate not lab meat :)

Also what that geezer is doing could stop all the cheap chlorinated chicken etc arriving in the UK

Weird though innit

Not really sure on the logic of importing food on mass from America surely distance is a major problem with anything perishable. Think the worry was more to do with us lowering our quality standards to reduce production costs but I never got the logic in that argument either just because we could doesn’t mean we would and the trade deal kind of stops that.

There are obviously opportunities that come with the control over labour force but it will require a big culture change with people travelling more and needing to train the skills to plug the gaps.

The food quality stuff is just fear mongering. Don't see why we'd lower the quality of our food.

However we import a lot of meat from New Zealand so don't see the distance being an issue.

I'm excited for the year ahead once we can get the next few months out of the way. From a personal stand point I really hope we have a championship at Wimbledon this year.

I can't see 2021 being any better than last year. 2016 - 2021: the worst five years in peacetime. Really set our country back.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back