2 Questions

Shoot

Banned
1. Was Fergie the architect behind the appointment of Solskjaer and the return of Mike Phelan?
I would say yes, I cannot think of who else would have thought of Olly as our next manager.

2. What's your present thoughts on Olly being successful and the job he has done to date?

1) I think in the situation it was probably Fergie who chucked Ole’s name in the hat as it was quiet clear Mourinho had to go right away and there weren’t any obvious out of work managers. Utd only took him on loan I don’t think the plan was ever to give him the job permanently but the decision makers got swept up in the hype of that early run. I really think their plan for the permanent job was Poch but when Ole did so well they changed the plan something our board seem to do constantly.

2) can’t knock any of the off field decisions he’s getting rid of the right players and so far bringing in the right players but we don’t know how hands on he is here. I think overall he’s left himself a bit to short up top this season but he’s handled not having his best CM all season and also losing Rashford when we did.

I’m not convinced he’s the man to put us back on the very top but I think he is the man to change the culture and rebuild things for the right man to then take us to the top again.

I just don’t think that tactically he’s ever going to be at the cutting edge of the game and build a team that is unstoppable.

Utd only took him on loan I don’t think the plan was ever to give him the job permanently
I think it was clear to most that the loan period was also a trial period. The short term thinking that made the trial period successful clearly could not carry on. Long term planning was now required and the whole mindset had to change.

1. he likely had Fergie's support, but Fergie alone probably wouldn't sway
2. If Ole gets his players he will make United competitive again. Look at what Bruno has done to transform the team. Give Ole any of these fantasy signings like Sancho and a top striker and we're back with a bang.

2. If Ole gets his players he will make United competitive again. Look at what Bruno has done to transform the team. Give Ole any of these fantasy signings like Sancho and a top striker and we're back with a bang.
Im not sure I would describe these as fantasy signings, they are prudent signings just as every one to date have been.
Fantasy signings were:

de Maria
Falcao
Depay
Pogba
Sanchez

I agree, Ole will lead us back to being competitive across all competitions and bring back success. People questioned some of his media musings but in fairness, when it was all going wrong he refused to buckle, refused to introduce negativity, refused to publicly denounce his players and amazingly never overly commented on the horrific injury list as a means of finding excuse.
He has steadfastly stuck to the long term plan and with a successful summer window we could very well be challenging at the very top again next season. In only his second full season, given what he has had to overcome and bringing about solidarity within the club he will have done a fabulous job.

I think it was clear to most that the loan period was also a trial period. The short term thinking that made the trial period successful clearly could not carry on. Long term planning was now required and the whole mindset had to change.

I do think some reality hit home that they couldn’t keep appointing the big name guys and not giving them everything they needed someone they could work with who wasn’t going to fight them every step of the way.

I always felt they should have stuck to the plan instead of rushing in with Ole I think they jumped early giving him the job in March thy should have given it a bit more time.

It was a shame the season stopped when it did as Utd ha really started building some momentum and it looked like things were coming together.

1. SAF probably had an input, but at the time, we didn't have many other options.

2. He needs to show a growing tactical nous and remove the shockers; top teams rarely have shockingly inept performances in them. We've had a few this season.

He's done very well on the rebuilding the general atmosphere, utilising the academy and integrating new signings. All promising signs.

I don't think Ole was Fergie prompted thing. In my opinion Woodward was floundering and need someone to put a smile back on faces and restore some of the sunshine that had faded from around the place. Probably any former player would have filled the void to be honest, but OGS was available and got the call.
I agree with some of the other lads on here that he is tactically out of his depth, as are those who sit beside him and again, to be honest, would like to see someone with a bit more Premiership/European experience in his place. He is riding along on his past experience as a player and has come out with some really silly things. Like those before him, he is also playing the 'youth card'. This is all very well, but you cannot beat experience and quality.
The main problem is at the top, but the club needs a figure head if they are to attract real top quality players, someone you would want to play for.
There are a couple of managers out there looking for their next job and United have to consider this and look to the future, or they could fall even further behind.

Is Ole completely out of his depth? Sure there are times when we have looked short of ideas but in the big games I think more often than not he has been tactically spot on. I’m not completely sold on him and I don’t think anyone should be until he really proves he can take us back to the top. However, I think we are moving in the right direction. He’s bringing in the right guys and his signings have been absolutely on. He got Fred looking like a £50m signing, he has coped without Pogba basically all season, losing Rashford and McTominay.

Yes, I think he is, but then so is Woodward.
United, the club as a whole, are now in where I might class as no mans land. They have got themselves into a situation where there is so much to do and improve on and they haven't got the people on board to carry everything forward.

Managers that are tactically out of their depth don’t beat Pep 3 time’s in 2 months with an inferior side.

I don't think Ole was Fergie prompted thing. In my opinion Woodward was floundering and need someone to put a smile back on faces and restore some of the sunshine that had faded from around the place. Probably any former player would have filled the void to be honest, but OGS was available and got the call.
Available? he was fully contracted to another club. His move was totally dependent on goodwill.

Available? he was fully contracted to another club. His move was totally dependent on goodwill.
Well he was contracted but the Norwegian football season had ended so while he wasn’t ‘available’, he was accessible.

There are a couple of managers out there looking for their next job and United have to consider this and look to the future, or they could fall even further behind.
Ole is the future, in his first full season with so much disruption, injury's and the shit show he inherited the signs are all there that he has made good inroads to turning us around.

I agree with some of the other lads on here that he is tactically out of his depth, as are those who sit beside him and again, to be honest, would like to see someone with a bit more Premiership/European experience in his place.
Louis Van Gaal. Jose Mourinho? Ole is busy sorting their shit out

Managers that are tactically out of their depth don’t beat Pep 3 time’s in 2 months with an inferior side.

Raheem Sterling turning into Obertan every time he plays us certainly helps in these games vs City swear the bloke should be banging a hat trick every time we play him but fluffs every one

Im not sure I would describe these as fantasy signings, they are prudent signings just as every one to date have been.
Fantasy signings were:

de Maria
Falcao
Depay
Pogba
Sanchez

I agree, Ole will lead us back to being competitive across all competitions and bring back success. People questioned some of his media musings but in fairness, when it was all going wrong he refused to buckle, refused to introduce negativity, refused to publicly denounce his players and amazingly never overly commented on the horrific injury list as a means of finding excuse.
He has steadfastly stuck to the long term plan and with a successful summer window we could very well be challenging at the very top again next season. In only his second full season, given what he has had to overcome and bringing about solidarity within the club he will have done a fabulous job.

Falcao was Depay and Di Maria but the player did improve was Rooney!

1. Was Fergie the architect behind the appointment of Solskjaer and the return of Mike Phelan?
I would say yes, I cannot think of who else would have thought of Olly as our next manager.

2. What's your present thoughts on Olly being successful and the job he has done to date?

I do think Jaap Stam are our next manager in december or april ..

Amazing how quickly things seem to have changed. Do we still need that top striker?

Amazing how quickly things seem to have changed. Do we still need that top striker?
I think we should remain alert for a player like an Aguero who wants to switch clubs. Or a Sheringham, Cantona, Berbatov, Van Nistelrooy et al., were available, we'd have to get them. The striker would have to be a clear and obvious upgrade. Martial is not in the same bracket as the forwards in Real Madrid or Barcelona or even Bayern. If we want to beat them, we need the best.

The new-look front three of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood is scoring for fun, but it's the dog end of a chaotic season. When all teams are charged up and ready to go it remains to be seen if they will be enough. Martial is still an enigma. I want to believe in him, because when he's in form he looks unstoppable. I don't know why he has such frequent drop offs in quality though. For me, Martial is the question mark.

Martial is better than the forwards at Madrid. Never rated Benzema and Sergio Ramos is their second top goalscorer with 11.

Not having Martial as being better than Benzema.

You don't stick around as the centre forward at Madrid for over a decade without being very, very good at what you do. He's not a relentless scorer because they didn't need him to be when they had Ronaldo. He's there when you need him to be there and his all round game is brilliant similar to the job Firmino does for Liverpool.

Martial has had a good season but it's 1 season he's done enough to earn another season lets see if he can go again and score another 20 goals next season and the season after that and keep improving his game.

I don't think he scores enough from crosses, the simple goals. I think he's getting better but his movement to find space in the box is pretty average, one vs one he's deadly and cutting in from the wing he's also pretty ridiculous. If he can add that anticipation and movement in the box to find space he'd score lots of easy goals. He spend to much time when the ball is wide standing still he's not moving into space like the top strikers do so when the ball comes in he's normally marked.

My view is we add Sancho that gives us 4 quality young attacking players for 3 positions all of them can play in any of those positions and you put the pressure on them if you're in the team and your standards drop there's a quality guy waiting to take your spot. That's the standard at the top clubs now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back