Status
Not open for further replies.

se7en

Ángel Di María match discussion thread for the 2014/15 season.

Eligible for Burnley?

Yep, will be in squad for Burnley. Presume he'll start given our injuries.

Burnley - 30/8/2014

A bright spark surrounded by a shower of shite

Thought he did well. Good vision and pace. I will be interested to see if he persists with this formation when everybody is fit.

Just a shame he couldn't do 90, which wasn't a surprise given he's only had about 20 mins since the World Cup.

Hope he hasn't picked up an injury. We seem to be having a rotten time with injuries this season.

Need to change formation to get the best out of him, even if we keep him CM in 4-3-3 it will give him so much more room

Yeah I think I agree. It means us going back to a back four which we are used to. One holding midfielder with di maria and obe other mobile midfield player either side.

Really good start.

On the formation, I'd be very surprised if he changed it, even if the case for 4-3-3 grows by the week, he has every level at the club playing the 5-3-2. He said all along that it's a process so we'll just have to ride the wave and hope it clicks sooner rather than later.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Germany - 3/9/2014

Absolutely incredible for Argentina vs Germany tonight. 3 assists and a goal in a 4-2 win. The 1st assist and the goal were especially good. Bit of a dilemma now, to play him in a midfield 3? or to play him as a winger? Could do with a clone to be honest!

He was so so good, was flicking between that and Ireland-Oman, no prizes for guessing which game was more entertaining. I think we have to use him in an attacking position, whether that's out wide or as a 10. Out wide in a 4-3-3 would best utilise him I think but I feel the Falcao signing indicates we're likely to stick with the current formation and two up top so in that case probably number 10 would be best.

Think a diamond might be likely with Di Maria on the left of the diamond, Herrera on right. Mata or Rooney at 10. Rooney or van Persie partnering Falcao. I'd prefer a 4-3-3 but it'd mean playing players out of position I feel.

I think a diamond ia most likely. It puts huge emphasis on your fullbacks to get forward.

What I liked about him so much against Burnley was how quick he got to the ball even though he looked like he may lose the foot race, he nips the ball away and holds the opposition off. He constantly puts in world class performances and I don't think we have anyone else who does that for us.

Qpr - 14/9/2014

What a complete performance by Di Maria. Had a hand in just about every goal. Real Madrid must be ruing selling him now. He is going to be a superstar for us.

He can be better too.

You mentioned the word "complete" there and I don't think people realised that he is very good in everything he does. He's more than just an attacking midfielder or a winger.

Still a bit hard to believe, having spent the last 18 months admiring his performances for Real, i'm now able to really love his performances.

That pass he made to set up van Persie was something we've not seen in a while. Same goes for that 50 yard run that led to Herrera's goal. And a lot of the other things he did. More to come still I think.

Leicester City - 21/9/2014

[vine]https://vine.co/v/O7ZIbmpzTKM[/vine]

Such a shame that goal was overshadowed in the end. Wonderful. My reaction was "OH MY DAYS!!!". Wasn't expecting him to score many for us, started very well though.

West Ham United - 27/9/2014

Everton - 5/10/2014

Goal and an assist. Fantastic player. Still think there's more to come though.

Brilliant again. Was the assist a shot or a pass?

[vine]https://vine.co/v/OKbFWmat6Iv[/vine]

It's the 2nd time he's done it now, when he did it against QPR(?) I thought "well that was a shot" but after today, maybe it's a disguised pass/cross?

Maybe the same with that free kick he scored against QPR too, I think it was a cross but maybe it's planned that the players miss the ball on purpose? I think it was said after that game that they'd been working on it in training.

And still getting described as "overpriced" and "overrated". Lots to work on as a team but I think the tools are there individually for us to be a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back