Chelsea Discussion 2021/22

you could say the same about united, their results haven't exactly told the full story.

Indeed. That'd why 5 games in I'm not deviating from City even though they've dropped most points so far.

They've been missing the best player in the league so far.

If Chelsea had signed Haaland I'd say they'd win the league. I just don't believe Lukaku will be the man that takes them there. His bad touch was on full display again yesterday.

For me that City side last season I didn't think was that special certainly not compared to the team they had a few seasons back but what they could always do was just grind out win after win.

There's a few obvious weaknesses in it they don't have a left back and they don't really have a centre forward so I think teams can get much closer to them this season as I don't really see them being better than they were last season.

I would argue it’s more impressive that they are top of the table and not particularly been playing that well. They showed at the back end of last season what they can do under Tuchel - so they are not at full pelt yet this season but if they do notch it up a level then they will be very tough to beat this season.
Without doubt. They won the CL and they really got it together once Tuchel took over. I really think if anyone finishes above them that team will be champions. I can't see them finishing lower than 2nd.

They didn't really get it together league wise though. They took it down to the last day and only achieved top 4 because Leicester bottled it against Spurs.

Since the day Tuchel took over to today. They've gained 3 more points than us and Liverpool. 4 points less than City. I just feel there's a massive Tuchel love in at the moment which goes over the top. If the squad is that great and he's doing that great then the above isn't that great unless the other managers of the other 3 clubs are also doing very well.

Since the day Tuchel took over to today. They've gained 3 more points than us and Liverpool. 4 points less than City. I just feel there's a massive Tuchel love in at the moment which goes over the top. If the squad is that great and he's doing that great then the above isn't that great unless the other managers of the other 3 clubs are also doing very well.
And how long have Ole, Pep and Poch been in position? A couple of years and more. So there's no allowance there for time to settle in and build the team around his philosophy etc no?

I think the Tuchel love in to be honest is well deserved he's made a huge difference to them in a very short period of time replaced a legendary ex player and turned them from a bit of a mess into a very well drilled side that should be capable of challenging for both domestic and european honours.

As your stats show since he took over he's pretty much matching the pace of the top sides in England last season and he also won the european cup so it's not crazy to give him a bit of praise for that.

This isn't some Tuchel vs Ole debate not everything needs to be measured against Solskjear and the fact Tuchel won a European Cup and has got off to a good start in the league means he is going to get a lot of praise.

The money they've spent on that squad they should be a bloody good team now they seem to have got themselves a very good manager to go with it.

Yeah, he's done really well there, from being well out of the top 4 race, he made it and won the CL. And they've started this season in similar fashion.
The football might not be pretty, but Chelsea fans don't care about that.

I just can't put them above the reigning holders as favourites. I didn't compare him to Ole, I compared him to the other three managers in the conversation. Chelsea had a good side that's why Lampard was sacked for under achieving.

I think Kante is a massive player for them and if you were to put him in ours or City's side it wouldn't even be a conversation we'd both be big favourites. Yesterday without them they looked half the side and I think an injury to him will see how strong they really are.

Yeah, he's done really well there, from being well out of the top 4 race, he made it

They wern't well out of the race. They were 6 points off of West Ham with a game in hand. It's what I mean. His league story is being rewritten because the media love him at the moment. The Chelsea fans thought the sacking of Lampard was harsh at the time because he was very much still in the top 4 race and in both cups and protested against it.

The bookies basically make Chelsea and City joint favourites.

As it stand:

City between 13/8 - 15/8
Chelsea between 15/8 - 2/1
Liverpool between 10/3 - 7/2
Man Utd between 5/1 - 6/1

Using oddschecker.

The true test of Chelsea will be after a wobble so far we've only really seen one wobble under Tuchel which was that crazy game last season where they lost 5-2 at home to West Brom. Went down to 10 men early and fell apart but it didn't spiral into chaos they seemed to put it behind them pretty quickly and start moving forward again.

They wern't well out of the race. They were 6 points off of West Ham with a game in hand. It's what I mean. His league story is being rewritten because the media love him at the moment. The Chelsea fans thought the sacking of Lampard was harsh at the time because he was very much still in the top 4 race and in both cups and protested against it.
From what I just checked, they were 9th, 7 points behind Spurs in 4th. Thats after 19 games, if it was 20 games they were 7 behind Liverpool

But they were going the wrong. He certainly turned them around. No way were they finisihing top 4 under Lampard if results continued as they were.

I'm not blowing Tuchel, but you can't deny what he's done there, they are a difficult team to beat.

Tuchel was appointed on the 26th of January.

They were 5 behind Liverpool and 4 behind Spurs.

But as I said since he's been in charge they've got 3 more points than us and Liverpool and 4 less than City. It's hardly this amazing form making them impossible to beat this season considering many call it the best and most complete squad in the league.

That's not the same as the table I found, which I can no longer find! so I won't use the table in this discussion further as there seems to be some dispute. The one I found had everyone on equal games which did seem odd.

As for the results, I can't check that either, but even if that is fact, he came in and took over side that was struggling, and has had 1 transfer window, comapred to all the others who are well into their tenures, so if anything that stat makes his achievements even better. I don't like his football, I imagine the wheels will come off at some point, but there can't be much of an argument against them being favourites at the moment.

I look at United, and they are a moment away from defeat every game :-D, I don't get that with Chelsea

It's far to early to be crowning anyone champions Chelsea were about 20 points off the pace in the end last season I think we can all say we'd be shocked if the gap was anywhere near as big this season.

No one is crowning anyone champions @jsp, you only need to look at City last season.

But we are a forum to talk football, and currently, they look to be deserving favourites.

United and City have been a bit edgy, Liverpool do look good again, if they stay fit then they will be favourites for me.

We've got a soft core, that's our problem. We desperately need upgrades in central midfield, maybe a hero will parachute in during the January window. I think our attack is better than anyone's. Luck and injuries will play a part for all the top sides, but based on the way everyone has started, why aren't we favorites? Chelsea has Lukaku, who does not turn up for the big games. He never turned up against us, never turned up for us. So far his goals have come against the worst Arsenal side I've ever seen, and 2 against Aston Villa. He was a ghost against Liverpool and Spurs. If their attack is going through him, it will falter. Chelsea are a good side but they will not go the distance.

City proved they're favourites today. That was dominant. Chelsea didn't have a single shot.

Absolutely battered them didn’t give them a sniff 1-0 flattered Chelsea

Another game where they only have 1 shot on target. That's 1 shot in target in their last two games combined.

Maybe we are seeing the importance of Mount to them?

He's missed the last two games through injury and they don't really have a like for like alternative for him as he's the guy who link the midfield to the attack a lot of the time.

As IDFD keeps pointing out, 20 mins in, one shot, which was a free kick.

Not very attacking

Just gone 1-0 up on half time.

I might eat my words second half but the difference is they aren’t gifting the opponent goals they’ve risen their luck a little bit but that’s football.

How are they still winning this game Vs Brentford. Twice Brentford have smashed the post now and that time they're 2 on 1 Vs the keeper.

And now escape a pen. Linesman raised his flag but looks onside. Chilwell played him on.

Yeah they’ve been on the ropes pretty much all of the second half but they’re hanging on.

Started without 2 of their regular back 3 and no Jorginho.

I've only watched the second half. Mendy has been sensational.

This should go on til the 100th minute though. The time wasting from Chelsea has been ridiculous. +4 was criminal.

Shocking he's blown up so quickly. Ball was in play for about 3 mins of the last 10 mins.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back