US Open 2020

I have to admit I have found day one a bit boring. I know the first few rounds of a grand slam are pretty predictable but this tournament is missing the buzz and excitement of the crowds, the start of the tournament usually has.

Norrie came back from two sets down to win his first round. Patchy play from both to be fair.

Murray through after being down two sets and a break.

Konta beat Watson.

Better matches today.

For me it’s a joke of a call but by the rules it’s the right call he’s hit a ball recklessly

Just watched it, it was totally accidental and highly unfortunate. Seems very harsh to me.

I think it's a fair call the judges shouldn't have to worry about you letting off some frustration and smacking a ball in their direction.

Was a total accident though he obviously didn't mean to hit the line judge.

Out of interest if he'd missed the judge would he still have been pulled up by the umpires?

I think it's a fair call the judges shouldn't have to worry about you letting off some frustration and smacking a ball in their direction.

Was a total accident though he obviously didn't mean to hit the line judge.

Out of interest if he'd missed the judge would he still have been pulled up by the umpires?
Dont know the answer to that and I guess we never will. What has to be said though is, he accepted the decision in true gentlemanly fashion, by no means a disgrace to his sport.

Dont know the answer to that and I guess we never will. What has to be said though is, he accepted the decision in true gentlemanly fashion, by no means a disgrace to his sport.

Didn't know if it was in the rules about how you are supposed to knock away an unwanted ball normally you see players just tap them off to the side along the floor to be collected rather than hit them into the boards like that.

What has to be said though is, he accepted the decision in true gentlemanly fashion, by no means a disgrace to his sport.

I assume this is sarcasm?

He refused to do the TV interview incurring more fines and when he finally did speak he said ‘it’s not like she had to go to hospital’.

It was also the second time in the game he’d hit a ball like that. Should have been warned about that one and then the second might not happen.

Didn't know if it was in the rules about how you are supposed to knock away an unwanted ball normally you see players just tap them off to the side along the floor to be collected rather than hit them into the boards like that.

It’s in the rules. Poor consistency in applying it is the problem. Djokovic had earlier broke this rule and should have been warned.

It’s in the rules. Poor consistency in applying it is the problem. Djokovic had earlier broke this rule and should have been warned.

I did read that one of the reporters even suggested had he been given the warning the first time he did it then this incident probably wouldn't have happened.

Assumed it would be in the rules with tennis being what it is.

You can't really allow the players to just smash a ball into something when you've got judges and ball boys/girls dotted around the cost who might not be paying attention at that point.

Well what a final between Thiem and Zeverev last night. More for the drama than the quality of the match. I switched it off when Thiem was down a set and down 5-1 in the second and at 30-40. I was shocked when I woke up this morning to see Thiem had won in five sets. Both served for the match before it went to a tie break.

Thiem deserved the win on his fourth grand slam final. I don’t think he would have been given that chance to come back from the traditional top three.

I assume this is sarcasm?

He refused to do the TV interview incurring more fines and when he finally did speak he said ‘it’s not like she had to go to hospital’.

It was also the second time in the game he’d hit a ball like that. Should have been warned about that one and then the second might not happen.
Wasnt sarcasm no, just based on what i watched, he appeared to take the decision well and seemed apologetic

Fair enough. Maybe upon reflection he changed his mind then because he was a prized idiot afterwards with his comments.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back