Coronavirus

I don't like his politics or him very much but I wish him well.

It was celar he was really poorly in his two video's and the fact he said he was fine for me really shows this gov for what it is. Liars.
Seems a bit harsh that to be honest

it's just honest. Rather than stiff upper lip and all is ok, he should have said he is poorly and taken the rest he needs. Then maybe the gen public might take it a bit more serioulsy. The health secretary has been on TV many times and either lied, or has been misfed info re: the PPE. Nurses and doctors should not be dying trying to save people, especially on their poor wage.

He's put himself in terrible danger by pretending all is ok and not resting.

My sister in law is terribly ill with this, it's horrible, he should have rested and he should have been honest. By all acounts, you shoud do nothing but rest. Although sister in law is struggling to rest with awful back pains.

I hope he recovers, he's got a new baby coming :-( and the last thing your country needs is yet another new PM.

I also hope, when he's fit again, he realises how awful cummings is and gets rid of him.

The guys around him have had the illness as well and they worked through it and are now back to chairing news conferences. I think it just happened to hit Boris harder in the last few days. Granted he should have taken the rest days but he wanted to fight through it. In hindsight maybe it wasn’t the best call but I just hope he can pull through it. Just heard he’s not on a ventilator so hopefully just getting some oxygen in his lungs and having treatment will do him good. I think he will take a rest period after this though and Raab will take charge.

I hope he's not on a ventilator! A doctor said at the weekend only 14% make it off them.

Are you sure he's not just on Oxygen?

I have got to say, the UK gov is sending fake news out, they printed a chart yesterday saying how their trajectory is the same as Italy, better than France etc.

The European figures include deaths from care homes, the UK is hosptal only. Our daily hospital deaths are umder half of the UK's. They say care home deaths account for 40% so you need to be adding that to the UK figures.

edit

weird, they just reported it on the news

‘They say’ - Also it’s stated everyday ‘these are just deaths in hospitals’ so not really fake news when they state it.

And doctors in Italy and China have said their death rates are much higher but don’t include everyone it’s only known cases from hospital and many will have died elsewhere that aren’t known to be from Covid. So surprised that’s the case for Italy.

But considering our hospitals haven’t surpassed capacity yet I’d be surprised if the number was as high as 40% currently. Seems alarming to think almost 1 in 2 are denied hospital treatment in those countries you’d think it would perhaps get that high when they were making decisions about saving people or it due to a lack of space.

but it's not stated the European figures include care homes.

Listen to R5 now, or even better relisten from the beginning, care home workers and owners phoning in now. Their patients don't get admitted to hospital, don't get tested, and die in the homes, and those figures are not added. My sister in law works in care, a few weeks ago they were losing 1 resident a day, it's probably gone up, she's been off with Covid for over 2 weeks now. She's not been tested either.

It's awful the way the gov are treating care homes.

I'm taking your "they say" in inverted comma's was a bit sarky.

I have no doubt people are dying at home. I just struggle to believe that these numbers are included in Italy or China’s numbers when I’ve seen doctors state they aren’t and surprised that number is anywhere near as high as 40%.

I didn't say China, I mentioned european countries, anyway, I added the news link for you

I’ll give the Radio a listen when I get a chance (so I’m the next hour) and the article says it’s extrapolated the data in Italy so not necessarily an accurate portrayal over there.

our figures are about that I would say, they release a daily figure and then state how many were in hospital, it's roughly half.

Be years before we know the full figures it’ll come out in the enquiry that is inevitable after this thing is over decisions that were made in January/February will have cost lives in March and beyond.

As for the numbers everyone knows they are low but everyone’s numbers has a lag to them they make this quite clear someone who dies today might not be included in the figures for a week if they’ve died away from a hospital.

What is scary is the forecasts suggest our total will exceed Italy, Spain or France.

I'm not surprised, your lockdown started about two weeks after us, I said at the time it was crazy.

I'm not surprised, your lockdown started about two weeks after us, I said at the time it was crazy.

Someone summed it up online when this all started emerging in China Germany started preparing for the what if scenario while the UK were trying to crowd fund to get Big Ben to bong for brexit.

We just didn’t seem to take this thing seriously until it was to late and it was here.

Mass gatherings like Cheltenham happened, pubs/restaurants closed a week later than they should have, construction sites and non essential factories/warehouses never actually forced to close.

We will never know the impact had we shutdown two weeks earlier no doubt lives would have been saved, we may have even been able to reduce the length of our lockdown but really that relies on testing.

I was watching something about small businesses in Rome they are pretty much resigned to the fact that all bars will be closed for at least a year and they think it’ll be the same for cafes/restaurants basically until we get a cure or a natural immunity to this virus which reduces the risk of death things won’t go back to normal.

I said the same to my wife this morning, I can't see any bars or restaurants opening for a while, I think our summer hols will be cancelled.

Yeah it’s going to be a very slow return to normality guided by science and how quick and reliable the testing regime you have allows you to function as a country.

I don’t see any foreign travel happening for a while business or pleasure unless you are going abroad for weeks or months for work but when you arrive you’ll be tested and quarantined.

My guess is they’ll want kids back to school in September for the new school year

Restaurants may re open but with strict rules in place regarding capacity and distancing which will probably make them unviable as businesses.

Thing is until they fully understand this virus and how it can be controlled very little can change because of how it spreads and the speed it spreads at.

One theory doing the rounds is they may allow young people back to work as they are less vulnerable to it keep the higher risk groups cocooned in a way that protects them but how long can you keep that up for.

I don’t see any foreign travel happening for a while business or pleasure unless you are going abroad for weeks or months for work but when you arrive you’ll be tested and quarantined.
Hopefully it will encourage folk to go see more of our own beautiful country's within the UK. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world if the effort is made to go find the gems. Who wants orange!

Hopefully it will encourage folk to go see more of our own beautiful country's within the UK. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world if the effort is made to go find the gems. Who wants orange!

Centre Parks will be charging about £10k a night once they re-open.

Could be a huge life line for the holiday parks and sea side towns days of cheap flights all over Europe could be gone to as these budget airlines rely on volume.

Yeah it’s going to be a very slow return to normality guided by science and how quick and reliable the testing regime you have allows you to function as a country.

My guess is they’ll want kids back to school in September for the new school year

Restaurants may re open but with strict rules in place regarding capacity and distancing which will probably make them unviable as businesses.

Thing is until they fully understand this virus and how it can be controlled very little can change because of how it spreads and the speed it spreads at.

One theory doing the rounds is they may allow young people back to work as they are less vulnerable to it keep the higher risk groups cocooned in a way that protects them but how long can you keep that up for.
Both of these are based on faulty assumptions. My wife is a school teacher, and there is no way in hell she or any of her colleagues are going back to teaching a classroom full of disease vectors. The online schooling is going to continue until there is a vaccine. Secondly, in the USA, over 1,000 people have already died from Covid19 who are younger than 25. Maybe that is technically less vulnerable, as you stated, but in practical terms young people are still going to be dying by the thousands if they push them to return to work.

Both of these are based on faulty assumptions. My wife is a school teacher, and there is no way in hell she or any of her colleagues are going back to teaching a classroom full of disease vectors. The online schooling is going to continue until there is a vaccine. Secondly, in the USA, over 1,000 people have already died from Covid19 who are younger than 25. Maybe that is technically less vulnerable, as you stated, but in practical terms young people are still going to be dying by the thousands if they push them to return to work.
Agreed, schools returning is very much high risk and would effectively allow the virus to run wild. There will need to be control measures in the work place for a long time to come once we start returning to work.
It will be very important that individuals demand and monitor the situation in work places to protect themselves while others main drivers is to kick start the economy and recover business interests.
I have said before and believe it would be correct that monitors (policemen if you like) are employed into workplaces to keep an eye on things, make recommendations and demand corrective actions where the control measures are found lacking or start to drop due to complacency. These monitors should be primarily concerned with the health and wellbeing of the workforce to balance things out.
Companies should presently be working to determine what the control measures should be within their workplaces, Government should be demanding they do so! and the control measures should be documented, reviewed and approved by pre determined individuals.
Businesses should presently be starting a recruitment drive for these monitors or identifying individuals already within their organisations who may agree to take up the role. Documentation could presently be being developed in preparation for this.

Agreed, schools returning is very much high risk and would effectively allow the virus to run wild. There will need to be control measures in the work place for a long time to come once we start returning to work.
It will be very important that individuals demand and monitor the situation in work places to protect themselves while others main drivers is to kick start the economy and recover business interests.
I have said before and believe it would be correct that monitors (policemen if you like) are employed into workplaces to keep an eye on things, make recommendations and demand corrective actions where the control measures are found lacking or start to drop due to complacency. These monitors should be primarily concerned with the health and wellbeing of the workforce to balance things out.
Companies should presently be working to determine what the control measures should be within their workplaces, Government should be demanding they do so! and the control measures should be documented, reviewed and approved by pre determined individuals.
Businesses should presently be starting a recruitment drive for these monitors or identifying individuals already within their organisations who may agree to take up the role. Documentation could presently be being developed in preparation for this.
I think I understand what you're advocating but it sounds very much like something China would do. I don't know anyone who would want policemen in their workplace, let alone who would want to be paying them. I still think it's going to be vaccine or bust.

My girlfriend is also a teacher I’m not saying they’ll be going back to exactly the way things were but it’s up to them to find a way as online teaching doesn’t work either. September will have to remain the target but if it can’t be done then there has to be a plan b.

There comes a point t where we have to accept there’s a risk of getting Covid just like any other virus once we know a bit more about it we have to hope that it’s something we develop immunity from once we’ve had it but so far there’s little to no science that supports that. We don’t even know what the long term effects of having had it are even mild cases there’s so much unknown which is why it’s vital we give the science community as much information as possible at a global level to study it.

When the lockdowns end we will be in a disruption phase this could last years Covid will change the ways many things are done and how lives are lived until we find a vaccine. That’s just a sad reality of life right now. Very slowly governments will remove restrictions and if they see sudden spikes they’ll put them back in place.

September isn't the target. Headteachers are being told they will be back in school after the half term break at the end of May.

Also China isn't really helping with the global studies. Yesterday they put further restrictions on research and publications of data. I do think they need to be hit with sanctions.

It does sound like they are trying to get schools back before the summer holidays. Whether it will happen is another thing.

In my industry we already have this you have non working supervisors who make sure things are being done right but also safely and done in the way it was planned above them This is fine it’s a good system and it’s kept people much safer on construction sites than they’ve ever been but this is an invisible threat and unless they are testing you every day how do they know you aren’t carrying it and spreading it. People have to travel together either in cars or in cities on public transport how do you deal with that contact issue. It sounds like we will be wearing masks in public places as part of any strategy to ease lockdown.

I think for companies to determine levels of control is dangerous the government needs to set the levels of control the companies need to demonstrate they meet those requirements. Legislation needs to dictate the thresholds it is safe to work in and how communal spaces are controlled you as a company make sure your work areas meet those recommendations.

September isn't the target. Headteachers are being told they will be back in school after the half term break at the end of May.

Also China isn't really helping with the global studies. Yesterday they put further restrictions on research and publications of data. I do think they need to be hit with sanctions.

It’s a realistic target might not be what they’re working to officially but I think they know deep down schools will not re-open this year. Part of the plan involves limiting class sizes to allow better distancing but how do you do that without some kids staying at home? Will it be week on week off schooling? With no exams year 11 and Year 13 won’t be going back so that will help reduce numbers but if you’re limiting class sizes you then need more teachers I just think they’ll quickly find the logistics don’t work. How do you get kids that rely on buses to school? You’d be giving them 6 weeks at school before the 6 week holiday.

I hadn’t seen that about China but it’s not really a surprise if they are doing what they’re doing they are a very secretive regime.

I see trump is handling it well saying he wants to cut funding to the WHO and shouting down any journalist that dare ask him a tough question. That country is not setup to deal with this sort of scenario.

I agree you need to ignore China. I don't see how it's spread throughout the world, everywhere, but China have managed to pretty much contain it to one area. I'm not 100% on their figures.

Our schools are starting back May 11th. But slowly starting with nursuries, and area's where there are social problems. Reading between the lines they are going to concentrate on professional education at higher level (trades, shop workers, hair dressers etc) because these are the students more likely to drop out and drain the system in the future.

I don't know where all of you currently reside, so I can't really speak to your specific situations. Mr C and JSP, where are you guys? I've seen that Shoot is in England. Where is everyone else?

Here in the US, though, school is done for this term. There is no talk of school starting back up before the next term starts in September, and even then there is some doubt.

Here is something to look out for, though: the warmer weather (especially here, today it is 78 °F) will see the virus knocked back and new cases will decline. That is to be expected and has nothing to do with herd immunity or the virus mutating itself out of existence. That is when decisions by lunkheads like Trump will be made to go back to how things were, with Republican congressmen here already saying people dying is preferable to the economy cratering.

So this summer we will be assured we've turned the corner and everyone will be urged to go back to work and then back to school. As Fall hits, the virus will come roaring back. My wife, (and I hope your girlfriend does the same JSP) is not returning to a normal classroom. The schools would need to disinfect everything in every classroom every day. Class sizes here hover around 30 students, but a typical classroom with even the minimum social distancing would require that number slashed to 10. So that would mean 3x as many classrooms and teachers are needed. That does not take into consideration the fact the air is all recirculated, so social distancing doesn't mean jack when those same 10 students are breathing and rebreathing the same air all day long.

Actual medical studies are showing that social distancing and some form of online schooling may be the norm as far as 2022. The article below was sent to me by a doctor. It's a little dry, but it's worth reading. Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period | Science

There’s no proof that the virus will subside under warmer conditions. Hence the cases in Spain when it’s been quite warm there.

JSP is in MK England and Carrot is in France.

Yeah I’m in England about 50 miles north of London.

The warmer weather killing off the virus remains an early assumption as far as I’m aware based on how similar coronaviruses have behaved in the past but as it’s a new virus they won’t know for sure how it reacts until they have the data and results.

Everyone needs to accept the world is a different place now as a result of this until we get a vaccine which will take time. Working conditions will have to change these big cramped offices may no longer be viable and you are right school may also need to change and go more online but that then creates another problem of most families rely on joint incomes to pay the bills each month.

I always felt once they started to reveal the truth of this situation to us and put us into lockdown that it was a minimum 12 month disruption to life as we knew it and that for me felt a bit best case. You don’t do what these countries have done unless shit gets real serious we’ve had these outbreaks before but they’ve never really hit the western world in my life time.

There’s no proof that the virus will subside under warmer conditions. Hence the cases in Spain when it’s been quite warm there.

JSP is in MK England and Carrot is in France.
What is MK, Milton Keynes?

I think we're talking more in terms of evidence than proof. Also talking about slowing the rate of infection, which I believe will be misconstrued as "flattening the curve" or whatever against the virus, when it's really just a natural effect.

This article is now a month old, which was a lifetime ago. I am trying to actually stop ingesting so much Covid19 news because I can't do anything about it.

I will offer a ray of hope, though, in that a friend is working in biotech at a company whose product has been shown to be effective against Covid19. He accidentally let the cat out of the bag on Facebook, but in private conversation he told me they are all really hopeful. I told him he is probably running afoul of all kinds of laws and NDAs by saying what he did, so the post came down stat. I know, it's random guy on the internet saying something. He didn't tell me the name of the treatment, but I know where he works, so there ya go.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back