The race to finish in the top four 2019/20

Sheffield United continue to smash it with another win today. 5th now, 2 points behind Chelsea.

I know Liverpool have been awesome this season but Wilder has to be right up there as manager of the season. Unfashionable players, unfashionable manager but they are killing it!
I actually think what Wilder has done is more impressive. I mean don't get me wrong liverpool have been incredible but I think that's been made to look even better by the pathetic defence of their title by City.

If Liverpool go unbeaten and smash the 100 point barrier it’s going nowhere but to Klopps mantelpiece.

Every game weekend now is about them losing a match because with Arsenals invincibles at least you can talk about their poor point total and the games they should have lost. (The big one being against Portsmouth and the shocking Pérez dive). There is currently very little argument against how good this Liverpool team is. Hopefully they can throw in a couple of defeats!

If Liverpool go unbeaten and smash the 100 point barrier it’s going nowhere but to Klopps mantelpiece.

Every game weekend now is about them losing a match because with Arsenals invincibles at least you can talk about their poor point total and the games they should have lost. (The big one being against Portsmouth and the shocking Pérez dive). There is currently very little argument against how good this Liverpool team is. Hopefully they can throw in a couple of defeats!
The thought of them going all season without a loss doesn't bear thinking about we'll never hear the end of it.

Europa league makes the prem difficult when you don't have a big squad or a decent one at that,take a look at us!

It's having players and managers who are used to that 2 game a week grind as the travel means you have limited time to train on tactics during the season as it's basically play a game 2 days recovery sessions, 1 tactical session then game again and it's basically that on repeat all season.

I know a few Wolves fans and they were saying this season they're nowhere near as good because the team is shattered as they haven't rotated that much in Europe but they don't play a particularly draining style whereas Sheff Utd are surprisingly front foot for a defensive team they don't just sit back and absorb pressure. The Wolves fan was saying until they played us in the league when they'd finally had a rest after about 60 minutes in every game they were dead.

Think part of our problem is the two seasons of Europa League football we've had from the start we also got through in the league cup to the semi finals. Think in his first season under Mourinho we had some ridiculous spell where we only had one week between Xmas and the end of the season where we didn't have a midweek game (apart from international breaks). That side was dead by the end of the season they were dropping like flies every game as we just had to patch players up and get them back out on the pitch.

We will have chance if we beat Chelsea. If we lose then we will be out of the race and that won’t be good for ole at end of season.

It's having players and managers who are used to that 2 game a week grind as the travel means you have limited time to train on tactics during the season as it's basically play a game 2 days recovery sessions, 1 tactical session then game again and it's basically that on repeat all season.

I know a few Wolves fans and they were saying this season they're nowhere near as good because the team is shattered as they haven't rotated that much in Europe but they don't play a particularly draining style whereas Sheff Utd are surprisingly front foot for a defensive team they don't just sit back and absorb pressure. The Wolves fan was saying until they played us in the league when they'd finally had a rest after about 60 minutes in every game they were dead.

Think part of our problem is the two seasons of Europa League football we've had from the start we also got through in the league cup to the semi finals. Think in his first season under Mourinho we had some ridiculous spell where we only had one week between Xmas and the end of the season where we didn't have a midweek game (apart from international breaks). That side was dead by the end of the season they were dropping like flies every game as we just had to patch players up and get them back out on the pitch.
Now I don't have much knowledge about other teams maybe someone on here does, I was wondering how many teams in the past few years who have gone on to win the Europa league have actually done well in there respective league's i.e top 2 or 3? Thanks guys/ girls

Now I don't have much knowledge about other teams maybe someone on here does, I was wondering how many teams in the past few years who have gone on to win the Europa league have actually done well in there respective league's i.e top 2 or 3? Thanks guys/ girls

Chelsea won it last season and finished 4th
Sevilla used to do pretty well in the league and win europa but don’t think they got above 4th in those runs
Atletico Madrid won it and I think finished 3rd

If you are in the europa league it’s probably because you aren’t good enough to win your league.

In recent years not been many sides who’ve won the Champions League and their domestic title fighting on two fronts is very tough

Chelsea won it last season and finished 4th
Sevilla used to do pretty well in the league and win europa but don’t think they got above 4th in those runs
Atletico Madrid won it and I think finished 3rd

If you are in the europa league it’s probably because you aren’t good enough to win your league.

In recent years not been many sides who’ve won the Champions League and their domestic title fighting on two fronts is very tough
Forgot about Chelsea, yeah its pretty hard to do well on two fronts especially in the latter stages of the season and it's a good point about winning the Europa in general your probably not good enough to win your league. Let's hope we can win it again I do think that's our best chance of champions league football next season

Premier League: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester United - 17th February 2020

Three points off fourth.

we've some tough games coming, Everton, City, Spurs, Sheff utd.

Get through those and still be 5th I'd be well chuffed.

Well we’re 3 games in to the start of the tough run. Starting with Wolves and Chelsea (A) and we’ve got 4 points.

Yesterday was the easy game in the middle of the sandwich that we had to put aside. With the clean sheets coming and Fernandes in the side. McTominay returning. I fancy us to get 4th now.

Everton, City and Spurs the next three games so it’s a tough little run. I think if we are still in 5th after those three games then we have done well. Funnily enough I think the hardest game out of the three maybe Everton away - they are a bit of our bogey side these days especially at Goodison Park.

It’s so open in the race for 4th, think it’s great for the league with the title a foregone conclusion now.

We have a very nice run in though and with Fernandes in the side against the weaker teams I feel a lot more confident

We have a very nice run in though and with Fernandes in the side against the weaker teams I feel a lot more confident
Oh yeah without a doubt. Obviously it’s no guarantee but if we had Fernandes from the start of the season then those games away to Newcastle, West Ham etc we could have had that extra spark from midfield to lead us to wins.

I missed that Spurs game out of my list doh! They look like they are really going to struggle though.

They are 4 really tough games for us. I think if Rashford was fit I'd be a bit more comfortable with it. Makes it exciting though.

Yeah Spurs are pretty low in my worries about games upcoming, they’ve lost Kane and Son, sold Eriksen and Alli/Lucas have gone off the boil.

It’s all about consistency I honestly think if two teams can finish strong Leicester could be reeled in they’re totally run out of steam after a great start. That said can’t see two teams suddenly finding consistency.

These last 3 games were big was a shame we couldn’t get a win vs Wolves but that’s 7 points from 9 keeps us in the hunt.

Next 3 Everton (a), City (h) & Spurs (a) if we can take 6 points from them games we should still be there but my concern is if we get past Brugge the games load up again and I think the team will suffer further injuries.

I think we’ll do Spurs I might be wrong of course but spurs away suits Oles tactics especially spurs have to win for there top 4 hopes same as us obviously but they will attack a little more , if Mourinho day back like he wants the draw then we’re in trouble!

I think United will actually do enough to get CL. And unfortunately that's going to have a negative impact on them in the medium term.

I think United will actually do enough to get CL. And unfortunately that's going to have a negative impact on them in the medium term.

If you've seen the financial results you'll know that if we don't get CL football the chances of changing that playing squad sufficiently are zilch, I know what you're getting at that it might/probably keeps Ole in a job but every year not in the CL makes a rebuild harder as it will restrict the money available to any manager. It will also encourage the players we want to stay and build around to look elsewhere.

If you've seen the financial results you'll know that if we don't get CL football the chances of changing that playing squad sufficiently are zilch, I know what you're getting at that it might/probably keeps Ole in a job but every year not in the CL makes a rebuild harder as it will restrict the money available to any manager. It will also encourage the players we want to stay and build around to look elsewhere.

There's pros and cons I absolutely agree with you on that one. I guess it all depends where you stand with Ole as to which side you come down on. I think Ole is a really bad choice to take United forwards so I think anything that keeps him in a job is bad for United. But hey that's my view as an outsider.

I’m confident about top 4 one minute and not the next Everyone has there own view and shouldn’t be abused because of it , I think sticking with Ole will slow us down in terms of success but I think once he gets the team he wants playing at full strength I think he can be successful here at the moment there’s no rite or wrong answer I also think there’s no one who would like him to succeed more then himself , Fergie had time now got to give it to Ole. Start with Top 4 then next season we must get higher I want a season that it’s not are we going to get top 4 I want that to be the minimum guarantee.

for the squad and teh injuies I don't think we can complain too much about Ole. But as I always say, I'm not 100% convinced but I want to allow time. Certainly players have improved and seem to want to play for him. I see positive signs and I put teh bad signs down to the level of the squad...for now.

If I'm being honest I think top 4 will be tough for us, if he gets it that will be a big positive tick. The next 4 prem games are huge, and I'm hoping Bruno will lift the team and get us through those tough moments.

There's pros and cons I absolutely agree with you on that one. I guess it all depends where you stand with Ole as to which side you come down on. I think Ole is a really bad choice to take United forwards so I think anything that keeps him in a job is bad for United. But hey that's my view as an outsider.

For me if he gets top 4 you can't really sack him I personally still would I think he's a man well out of his depth but if he meets his target can you sack him?

Every year you are out of the CL club the harder it becomes to get back in that's just a fact just look at Arsenal you don't want to fall into that trap. Just being at the party is a lot better than not getting invited even if you're just making up the numbers.

If Ole stays the bar has to raise again next season 4th is no longer the target you need to raise the bar now the target is 3rd or you look at it slightly different and say this season we finish 30 points behind Liverpool the target next season is to be within 15 points of first place and finish top 4.

I've just accepted no matter who you put in charge unless the muppets at the very top change you just won't get anywhere until the priority goes back to being the best football team in the world not just the richest you'll never get back on top to achieve a goal as ambitious as that you need everyone pushing that message. You can't be run by bean counters like we are.

We've got a great chance of getting top 4 but I think if Ole tries to keep spinning all plates League, Cup and Europa League the squad will collapse under the pressure, I think he has to prioritise now and before anyone gets on his back Sir Alex would do the same. For me the FA Cup now becomes lowest priority unless we are knocked out by Brugge if we beat Brugge he needs to be going full kids team vs Derby. If they get through then the kids play the next round.

For me if he gets top 4 you can't really sack him I personally still would I think he's a man well out of his depth but if he meets his target can you sack him
Oh United wouldn't sack him if he makes top 4 no way. I'm not sure they sack him regardless at this point but certainly not if they make top 4. They should and they'll regret not, in my opinion, but they won't.

Oh United wouldn't sack him if he makes top 4 no way. I'm not sure they sack him regardless at this point but certainly not if they make top 4. They should and they'll regret not, in my opinion, but they won't.

They might and they should if they feel they can get a better manager top clubs are ruthless like that it's a slightly different scenario but Chelsea didn't hesitate sacking Sarri despite getting 4th and winning EL and getting to league cup final all in his first season.

The important thing is if Utd really believe in the plan that Ole has put in place they have to deem it to be the Utd plan so if they feel there's a man who can work to that plan but get more out of the players then you have to make a change.

They might and they should if they feel they can get a better manager top clubs are ruthless like that it's a slightly different scenario but Chelsea didn't hesitate sacking Sarri despite getting 4th and winning EL and getting to league cup final all in his first season.

The important thing is if Utd really believe in the plan that Ole has put in place they have to deem it to be the Utd plan so if they feel there's a man who can work to that plan but get more out of the players then you have to make a change.
I think he will still be here next season at the start of it anyway asking as we don’t go on a big losing streak not saying this is what I want or not just saying I can see it happening.

Leicester lose at Norwich.

Could they get dragged back in?

Utd win this weekend and the gap to them is only 6 points they’ve hit a real wall after that great start.

They might and they should if they feel they can get a better manager top clubs are ruthless like that it's a slightly different scenario but Chelsea didn't hesitate sacking Sarri despite getting 4th and winning EL and getting to league cup final all in his first season
They won't. If they make top 4 Ed will stick with him because that's the precedence they've set.

I feel very confident about top 4 now. We are a better team then Chelsea and should take the spot.
I wouldnt rule a trophy out now either. Bruno could be our new Cantona
You can be sure of one thing, our competitors will be starting to worry about us!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back