Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishManc.

Seems a huge talent in the Gomes bracket. Player of the tournament or top goalscorer at most youth tournaments he plays at. His date of birth is 1.10.2001 (14) therefore we may not see him feature for the 18's until the season after next but certainly one to keep an eye on.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recently turned 15. Seemed to have had a big influence for the Under 16's in their Premier League International Tournament win at the weekend. The only Under 15 player selected for the Under 18's trip to Slovakia for their upcoming annual visit. They have a match on October 25th against MSK Zilina, which there should be at least extended highlights of, so should be a good opportunity to see more of Greenwood.

U18s: Manchester United 6-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 14th October 2017

Scored a hat-trick.

Seen a fair few videos of him now and he looks a really talented lad. Seems equally adept with either foot, I even read a story saying that he alternates between feet on free kicks because he’s so comfortable on both.

Definitely looks one of the very best youngsters we have here, although it’s way too early to hype him up but one to keep an eye on for sure.

Since his switch to playing as a number 9 he's starting to remind me more and more of Robin van Persie in style. That first goal yesterday certainly had a touch of van Persie about it. It will be interesting to see if number 9 is his long term position or number 10. Fantastic talent either way.

I was just about to say that. I would describe him as a nine and a half. Hugely talented footballer. Takes corners with either foot. Good size for his age. He turns brilliantly with the ball and has good vision. Really exciting prospect

I would go along with him looking like RVP. He really does look to have all the attributes to be a top player. He’s still only 16 as well so is going to get better and better.

I think we are blessed with some real talents in the youth teams with Chong, Gomes and Greenwood. Then you’ve got players like Traoré, O’Connor and Garner that look to have something about them.

That goal reminded me a lot of a Van Nistelrooy one vs Basle althouh his was from the other side of the goal.

I think we're really blessed with some great youth talents at the moment, been a while since we've won the U18 league I believe so to do it without a lot of the older lot from that age group who have moved up to U23s would be a great achievement. Likes of Gomes, O'Connor and Chong started the season with the 18s but got moved up pretty quickly. Laird has followed in recent weeks despite only being 16 and the youngest of this season's 1st years. And I think Greenwood is one that could be moved up during next season in his 1st year as he looks to have a bit about him physically for his age and already looks to good for this level.

Good little read that.

He’s such a talented lad and we have a few of them knocking about now. Really hope he can continue to kick on because he has endless abilities and the fact he is just as good on both feet makes him a special talent.

We need to sign him up as soon as he hits 17. Ed needs to lurk at his house the day before his birthday with the contract and pen to make sure he signs it the minute he hits 17.

I think you watch the youth team far more than most of us. All I know I what you post but at the moment every other post seems to be ‘Greenwood scores’. He sounds like one of the more exciting talents around at the moment.

Who currently plays in the U23s and is Greenwood physically ready?

I doubt the step up in quality is that huge so from the clubs point of view my guess is they’re happy with him staying at that level especially with the u23’s in the 2nd tier this season.

The rate he’s scoring at you’d hope he’s regularly being invited to train with the first team.

He is too good for the u18s already I think. He could probably play in the u23s now but certainly next season. He has a good physique about him.

Really cracking young player. He is showing all the potential in the world and I would say he can make the step up to the reserves right now. Every time he plays for the younger age groups he scores for fun. The most excited I have been about a young player for quite some time - probably since Pogba.

Better than Wilson? He was a scary scorer at youth level and looked destined for the top just like Rashford

It’s all about mentality he’s clearly got the talent but can he handle the mental pressure that comes as he moves up? Wilson couldn’t got to big for his boots and that along with injuries cost him a real shot at the big time.

I see no point in moving him up when the reserves are playing in the 2nd tier of U23 I doubt the standard is much higher than U18. Maybe give him some games later in the season if the U23s are short but I think the U18 is the place for him as that team will probably all come up to U23 together.

Wilson was superb at the youth levels and certainly knew how to put the ball in the net and I definitely had high hopes for him which I’m sure we all did but like you say certain factors got in the way for him and now he’s a loan deal warrior moving from one club to another.

In terms of technical ability and overall talent there is no real comparison between Greenwood and Wilson - Greenwood is technically assured, he’s quick, good with both feet and looks to have a real footballing brain already. Obviously I’m hyping him up but you never know how a young player is going to do. Morrison showed that talent can only get you so far, same with Johnson at City - now they are both in the doldrums somewhere.

If the likes of Chong, Greenwood and Gomes amongst a few others really push on then we do have some exciting times ahead with them.

Well Johnson isn't even in the game and hasn't been for a decade and Morrison I believe is back at Lazio after his loan spell in Mexico which I'm sure was great fun for him. Wilson's contract is up this summer so he'll leave for nothing is he up in Scotland this season? The stories were he just didn't fancy doing the hard work would rather sit in the jacuzzi at the training ground than do the gym work he needed to do basically thought he was gods gift.

I hope so it just feels impossible to judge these lads until they get involved with the first team as the standard of the U23 league is nothing compared to the prem it really doesn't prepare them and unless you're like Rashford and physically ready for mens football as a teenager you can get stuck in a bit of limbo.

In the case of Chong and Gomes you have to wonder if a loan move beckons for them in January but we may need them to stick around to get the U23 back up to the top division.

It's sad but I think it's going to be really hard for them to break through at Utd not because of who the manager is but because the way the club is now guess they'll just need a bit of luck like Rashford had injuries and pouncing on the chance.

Really, the only real way these kids will get a chance, unless they are exceptional, is if someone like Giggs was manager.

Actually Poch seems to use youth, but I do have my doubts about him.

an excellent loan spell might do the trick.

Yeah Wilson is up at Aberdeen this year, guess he’s kind of in the shop window. He is definitely one that didn’t knuckle down when the opportunity presented itself. It does go to show that talented young players can go either way. I read a story on BBC not too long ago about a young lad at Everton who was compared to Rooney but he got a good contract and was earning money beyond a young lads dream and he got into drugs and now he’s struggling to even make a living in football.

I agree that it’s going to be hard for these young lads to break through because its easier to go out and spend £30m on a youngster from overseas rather than nurture your own. I guess that is the problem really, youngsters get many more opportunities around Europe where as at the big clubs here youngsters tend to get left behind. I think this is why quite a few young players are looking overseas for playing time. I used to really love the League Cup in the days of Fergie because you knew you were gonna get an opportunity to see some young guys, obviously many youngsters were never seen again but they got that chance. Also say what you will about Wenger but he always stuck to his youth policy in the League Cup.

Loan moves are possibilities and would probably be a good idea to get them overseas. However, like jsp said we need them in the reserves because we are a bit average in the U23’s.

Really, the only real way these kids will get a chance, unless they are exceptional, is if someone like Giggs was manager.

Actually Poch seems to use youth, but I do have my doubts about him.

an excellent loan spell might do the trick.

To be fair to Jose he’s given chances to Periera & McTominay plus been patient with Shaw, Rashford and Martial.

He’s given youth a chance but his squad is so big it’s hard to bring them through.

Dalot signed for £20m rather than give Fosu-Mensah a chance kind of sums it up the chances can be limited at a club like Utd.

Who has Poch promoted from the Spurs academy? Harry Winks is the only one who gets a regular game Spurs have invested well in young players but they haven’t pushed many up from academy level. Kane only got his chance because Soldado was such a mega flop and they appointed Sherwood.

A Utd manager has to win I doubt Giggs would gamble on youth when he’s got so much experience to call on first it would be madness.

I honestly think the way forward for these kids is to be bold and walk away at 19/20 and then come back after a few years playing at a high level somewhere in Europe. To many barriers put in your way in the PL.

Greenwood has it all for me. For his age he already looks quite capable physically. Physically he looks more ready than Gomes and Chong even are to make the step up.On top of that, he's got pace, power, scores with left foot/right foot/head, can create for himself and others, can come deep and hold it, can run in behind, can run the channels. At the same age, he is better than Rashford who grew and really improved in his final year in the U18s when he was moved upfront.

I've seen Wilson mentioned but he was just pure pace and finish, more of a Hernandez. He didn't have the all round game of Greenwood or even Rashford, both these guys were playing in a number 10 role first before moving forward. Wilson if I remember correctly was a winger.

Greenwood turns 17 tomorrow and i'd expect him to move up to the U23s if we get knocked out of the Youth Cup which is what tends to happen, they prefer to keep that team playing together until they're knocked out but hopefully they can go all the way this year.

In a glum couple of weeks for the club, this is a bit of exciting news.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, this guy is going to be a star. He has very much the RVP look about him but he is more two footed. It’s obviously early to say but I think we should be excited about this lad.

So where do we think position wise Greenwood is going to end up? As he's played a number of attacking positions now.

I think the good thing about Greenwood is that he looks pretty flexible, I think he could well end up as a number 10 though. But he could easily be a top class number 9.

Like I have mentioned before he does have that RVP look about him so I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him continue to develop as a number 9.

Think the most important thing now is getting his loan moves right as he will need them they need to be carefully picked and get him in the right places under the right coaches who can introduce him to first team football.

Big european clubs are sniffing around the English talent now unlike before some of these kids are happy to make these moves as they don't want to get lost in the system.

Utd have a proven track record of bringing players through so hopefully he doesn't get to impatient but we need to really plan a route to the first team for him.

28 goals & 11 assists in 25 starts & 4 sub appearances for the u18s & 3 goals in 3 games for the u19s. Staggering numbers for someone who only turned 17 at the start of this month.

He's got everything we could possibly want in a striker. The Van Persie comment above I think is referring to him being a 9 & a 10 or a 9 and a half as Van Persie was described as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back