Sergej Milinkovic-Savic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Di Marzio: United are also interested in Milinkovic-Savic, but right now they have no intention of spending €100 million on a potential reserve.

Di Marzio: United are also interested in Milinkovic-Savic, but right now they have no intention of spending €100 million on a potential reserve.

Basically he's the Pogba replacement if Pogba gets an offer to go elsewhere and we decide to let him go but there's no way we could have both.

Yeah I can see us getting two in but not two for huge money, talk about that Peretta from Roma, 21, Italian International, that would make more sense than 100m on another CM, you can see Matic, Pogba, Fred as the go to 3 with then McTominey, Herrera, and potentially Peretta as the back up to them.

Always said this summer we needed a Carrick replacement and a Herrera upgrade basically we need an alternative to Matic at the base of the 3 man midfield who's more of a playmaker and probably a better version of Herrera who's the go between with Fellaini gone Herrera can do that covering all bases role. This guy felt like a bit of a luxury that we couldn't really afford to bring in unless Pogba was sold which always felt unlikely.

That said signing him and keeping Pogba makes as much sense as signing Sanchez and playing him left wing and we did that so wouldn't rule anything out.

Interesting to see if he goes and gets a second CM, Fred can play either the Matic role (with the passing ability of Carrick) or the Herrera role where he basically does both.

Savic as @jsp says is more of a Pogba, will roam and get forward but is not to concerned with what goes on behind him, having them two play together would be like signing Yaya whereby Matic would just get left on his own as these two wander and try to find space but vacate all the space behind them.

That Seri seems like a very good player, who could do the box to box role very well, him and Fred would provide cover to Matic and be a massive upgrade on Herrera, who rather than being a pain to play against, not to sure what he really offers us.

Fred Matic Pogba though does seem to have everything you want from a midfield three.

I just want to see a squad that is balanced and players actually being played in their best position.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone else think this guy will come to Utd? I personally think the only way we would get him is if Pogba went. No room in a 3 man midfield for such similar players

Anyone else think this guy will come to Utd? I personally think the only way we would get him is if Pogba went. No room in a 3 man midfield for such similar players

On paper it makes little sense unless Mourinho is suddenly going to play his midfield 3 like Pep and have 1 holder and 2 guys pushed right up but we probably didn't need sanchez to play on the left and he still signed him for that role.

I think Utd are keen on him and probably want that to be known to him but they surely won't be doing anything while Pogba is here.

Would be surprised, I can see Fred Matic Pogba being the starting 3 next year, McTominey maybe Pereira if he stays and another CM (maybe like that young lad at Roma, Perretta or something is it), if Fellani goes that is.

If Pereira comes back I think McTominay might benefit from a season on loan Utd will be going hard at the title next season so I think chances for the youngsters might be limited so can't see him wanting to have 2 in the squad as midfield options at the same time.

Liverpool have done there business got 2 quality ones in for £80m which puts big pressure on Utd to get this right as they are going to be coming hard as well next season.

Interesting to see who he goes for, agree on the youngsters, unless they set the world alight they might have to take a back seat next year.

I think that Seri at Nice would be a good addition as well, bit of bite, box to box, defensively aware and not bad going forward.

Pogba really needs to get his act together this season, make or break for him big time.

If Pereira comes back I think McTominay might benefit from a season on loan Utd will be going hard at the title next season so I think chances for the youngsters might be limited so can't see him wanting to have 2 in the squad as midfield options at the same time.

Liverpool have done there business got 2 quality ones in for £80m which puts big pressure on Utd to get this right as they are going to be coming hard as well next season.
Assuming we will be playing a 4-3-3 we will have Pogba-Matic-Fred in midfield and we will need cover for them to keep them fresh. In my view McTominay and Herrera can cover for the defensive duo but we have probably only Lingard for Pogba's role in that trio so we need Pereira for that. I am certain that between cup appearances and covering in midfield he will have ample opportunity to show what he is about.
On SMS I think we will shelve this one and move for Bale given that Lazio are demanding outrageous figures for his signature.

Assuming we will be playing a 4-3-3 we will have Pogba-Matic-Fred in midfield and we will need cover for them to keep them fresh. In my view McTominay and Herrera can cover for the defensive duo but we have probably only Lingard for Pogba's role in that trio so we need Pereira for that. I am certain that between cup appearances and covering in midfield he will have ample opportunity to show what he is about.
On SMS I think we will shelve this one and move for Bale given that Lazio are demanding outrageous figures for his signature.

I think if you're playing 4-3-3 you want 5 first choice CMs 2 who can play the central position then 3 covering the 2 wide positions then I think you want your 6th choice being a developing player but I think you need 5 front line guys. United I think have become a club who over rotate we need a settled XI next season so I really want to see our squad trimmed down this summer as we've got way to many players.

I think it's decision time with Periera he either gets a chance to be the squad player and prove himself next season or he leaves, if he's going to stay then maybe there's a chance to send McTominay somewhere on loan where he can play more regularly next season to develop with things being so make or break for Mourinho I can't see him trusting youth unless we get a load of injuries that force him into it.

If 100m that outreagous now? Mbappe & Dembele who were top young talents have both gone for above that and for a club like Lazio he is the golden goose. I'm sure they'd prefer to keep him but I think they know it's inevitable he will move on, seems crazy that up until a few weeks ago he wasn't even in the national team because the coach didn't get on with him.

Said he will make a decision on his future after the World Cup.

My guess is he’s happy to move on from Lazio but going to be tough to get out with their asking price.

Looking forward to seeing him play at the World Cup as I’ve not seen him play before.

He looked good in the first game but the 2 games after that weren’t as eye catching.

Showed he can create chances with his passing but didn’t see much goal threat from him seemed like he’s happier outside the box rather than trying to burst into it.

Said all along we should of bought this lad instead of Fred, The fee mentioned was a little high - but for Man United noone comes cheap in this day and age - big and powerful lad with a bit of fight in him, would of been a much better option than Fred imo ...

Said all along we should of bought this lad instead of Fred, The fee mentioned was a little high - but for Man United noone comes cheap in this day and age - big and powerful lad with a bit of fight in him, would of been a much better option than Fred imo ...

Isn't the problem that he plays the same role as Pogba so you'd never get them both in the same team.

Fred was supposed to be an upgrade of Herrera but he hasn't settled in yet.

I think you should be able to fit 2 good midfield players into a 3 man midfield. You might argue the 2 silvasplay the same game for city but they fit them in ok.

Like jsp mentioned above he likes to play like Pogba does and I feel that they are too similar to play in the same side? I would love to be proven wrong because SMS looks a cracking player but I don’t think it will necessarily solve any of our problems. Matic needs replacing and Fred needs to adapt, if that happens I think our midfield will be much better.

Yes but City's playing style makes that possible as they want the ball 70% of the time in every game if not more our playing style under Mourinho doesn't want long spells of possession.

It works at City because the two Silva's don't mind doing the defensive work and they are switched on to it players like Pogba/SMS aren't.

@jsp , @SuperRash - Personally, I thought that they could of worked together - appreciate the comments about the similarity of them, but where PP lacks defensively - Sergej is far better at tracking back and being generally more defensively aware (not saying he isn't still a little raw into a tackle but I think we lack some passion and fight which I think he would of brought in.

Maybe Im looking at this with rose tinted glasses, but I have always been a fan of Sergej (watched him quite a bit) and alternatively I watched Fred when he was playing in the UCL for Shaktar - looked decent, but Im sorry im just not convinced by him, he looks like a spare part at the moment and he isn't exactly a kid - he's 25, it will obviously split opinions with who is to blame for why he isnt performing, hope he proves me and others wrong but our main midfielder in Pogba doesnt play in the derby and he doesnt even move off the bench ? ...

Think we have to give Fred some time to adapt we're 3 months into his first season in a new club with a new manager and playing style to adapt to.

Also, while Fred cost £50m this Savic lad was being quoted at £100m and it's obvious money was tight last summer if Pogba leaves in the summer then I think there's a case for Savic but if Pogba left I think Mourinho would go back to 4-2-3-1

He's going nowhere. They're losing Rabiot on a free this summer not going to let Verraiti go too.
Yeah PSG aren’t selling Verratti in a month of Sunday’s! We could offer ridiculous money and in the past it may have worked but they have an endless money pit so are under no pressure whatsoever, and they just bribe officials so no problem with FFP either! :p

Interesting thing on Verratti is he's only played 30+ league games once since he arrived at PSG now some of that will be rotation ahead of big CL games but still seems odd to me.

Talented player but picks up a lot of injuries.

The scouting department at Utd really needs a kick up the backside they've got to start seeing the players who are about to him the big time and invest in them not just sign the established names.

My fear this summer is Bayern Munich dump all their old players who are starting to creak on us as they start to rebuild.

How is Milinkovic-Savic playing this season? Last year seemed to be a bit of a break out year for him has he carried it on or has he gone the way of Felipe Anderson who had one great season before dropping off a bit?

Verratti just wasn't being picked for a while, can't remember with which manager, he was really unhappy and wanted to leave a while ago I thought. But yeah, probably difficult now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back