The Battle to Keep Fellaini | Fellaini signs new contract until 2020

Moving on from the embarrassment that was the last page. Let us rejoice.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You send McTominey to any of these sides and I am sure the same thing would happen

Serious question, what do people think of McTominay? I think he's been over rated. He's not really had a performance where he's really stood out. He's been neat and tidy but he needs to add more to his game if he's ever going to actually be a regular fixture here.

I think Mourinho has used him politically as much as anything else. And getting the Manager Player of The Year award created just to say 'Eh look I gave a youngster a chance' who'd started 5 games prior to getting that award and one of them he was subbed off at 2-0 down at HT and we went on to win 3-2. I've got nothing against the kid and wish him well coming through I just don't see any star potential in him that makes me think he'll cut it here.

It's hard to really judge him on 5 or 6 games but so far I'd say he looks like more of a Gibson than a Fletcher I think he'll be around for a few seasons getting fairly regular appeareance but can't see him having much of a career here. Him winning managers player of the year was a disgrace you can't give your player of the year award to a guy who's appeared in 10% of the games.

Mourinho has clearly marked him as "his guy" from the academy he wants to develop and he obviously sees a lot more than we do of him but he doesn't look anything particularly special right now just a neat and tidy centre mid.

I have watched him throughout the levels and hasn't overly impressed me. He is neat and tidy. He plays a fairly safe game. Doesn't let anybody down but doesn't really have big impact on games. Happy to have him in the squad but truth be told had we brought him into the club on a big transfer he would be getting the Fellaini treatment.

I think all you can expect to see from a young player is progress the challenge for him now is to start taking control of games at times as a central midfield player there are times where you will need to be dominating the game and looking the best player on the pitch there is no hiding. Now obviously expecting him to do that straight away is a bit mad but next season you will want to start seeing signs that he has that in him because if he doesn't he probably won't last long.

That was the issue with Fellaini as a midfield player he never really run the game he was a useful attacking player at times when we just went direct to him but he never really had any control of the midfield either from an attacking point of view pulling the opposition apart with his passing or defensively stopping them every time they tried to come up the middle or taking their best player out of the game by constantly taking the ball off him. He was basically a target man centre forward who you could go direct to and play off rather than a centre mid and if we just used him that way he probably wouldn't get as much grief as he did the problem was when he was played in midfield he just wasn't good enough he couldn't win the ball without fouling and his passing was safe and sideways so he really offered nothing.

to be honest, I don't think he's a stayer. He's useful, and I think Jose used him a little to gee Pogba on and that kind of worked.

But with Carrick on the training ground, you never know, he could be like Carrick but at that age Carrick was more advanced.

United released/retained list says Marouane Fellaini still has an offer on the table.

Rumour is that he won't decide until after the World Cup as he feels his stock may rise during the World Cup.

Marouane Fellaini has issued a four-word response with regards to his immediate future.

Fellaini’s contract with Manchester United expires at the end of the month, with the club eager to keep him on.

The Belgian has remained secretive over his future, with AC Milan one of those credited with an interest.

Arsenal also emerged as possible frontrunners for his signature last month, and were described as a ‘more likely’ destination than Italy.

Unai Emery is eager to add midfield reinforcements to his squad, and the experience of Fellaini could tempt him into a move.

The 30-year-old gamely stoked the fires of speculation when asked about his future.

He told the media that “you will know soon” when quizzed over the rumours.

Cocktease.

Be nuts if he ends up at Arsenal but I can see why Emery would want him to give them more power in midfield and allow them to play more direct but you wouldn't think he'd be a starter for them.

The title to this thread always makes me giggle. I think 'The Battle To Get Rid Of Fellaini' would have been appropriate :cool:

I really hope he buggers off. Surely he wont resign now he's run the contract right down to the last day, he'd have done it weeks ago.

Wonder if he will do a Griezmann and have 'La Decision' TV documentary made for for the big announcement hahahah

Fellaini is a good squad player and can be very useful in certain situations. However, it's the cost efficiency of keeping such a player in the team that bothers me. Surely, a new contract would imply a hefty pay rise, given the outrageous contracts we offered Pogba and Sanchez. So, the questions is, does it make economic sense to keep a player that is useful in a limited number of matches per season at an increased financial cost? I'm not so sure.

Fellaini is not a Man Utd player if we want to win leagues and compete in CL then there's no role for him in the squad he's just not good enough never was and never will be. If we need a target man I'd rather we buy a striker who can do that role in the absence of Lukaku but I don't really see what Fellaini brings to a midfield other than a physical presence. Even the hoof it to Fellaini tactic for me is over rated and not that effective I'd rather we perfect our plan A so we don't need this kitchen sink approach as often as we have done in recent years.

That said given what other business that needs to be done if he was prepared to accept a 2 year deal on similar wages to what he's currently on then you could keep him as your 5th choice CM but I get the impression he's looking for a big contract to setup his retirement and assurances about playing time if he wants that then he can't really stay here. Also, would it make more sense for McTominay to have that role and give him a chance to develop and maybe establish himself as a first team player.

I think there's an issue with lack of top quality players in the squad we know we've got limited players in defence, midfield and to some extent attack if we keep giving these guys new contracts they'll never leave so tough decisions have to be made and I don't think we should be keeping players who just aren't up to it.

For me Fellaini is on the list of players who've proven over many years now that they're just not really up to the standard Utd players should be at.

I'd rip the contract offer up and be done with him. There's a reason that even on a free there aren't many clubs after him. We've got Pogba Matic Herrera Fred add to that McTominay we don't really need him unless 3 of them are injured at the same time.

Say three of them were injured we could still just revert to a 4-2-3-1

I'm assuming we're going to play a 4-3-3 next season now we've signed Fred.

Fred Matic Pogba

Rashford Lukaku Sanchez

And change to a 4-2-3-1 if we had 3 injuries. Even if it was those 3 injured.

Herrera McTominay

Rashford Mata Sanchez

Lukaku

So he really is surplus to requirements

I think to play 4-3-3 you want 5 good options plus a youngster as your 6th choice as you're going to get injuries/suspensions as the season goes on and you'll also need to rotate during the busy weeks of the season so I think 5 is the minimum you can go forward with.

If we were to suffer some injuries then we could change the system but it kind of depends on who gets injured and who we are up against.

Lingard or Mata could easily drop back into a midfield 3 if Pogba was injured and play that more attacking free role he enjoys.

I can't see him staying with Fred coming in and apparently another "young box to box midfielder" being wanted.

Manchester United's Marouane Fellaini to announce decision on his future on July 1

He's doing an announcement haha!

My guess is he's signed for Arsenal or another English club because if he was staying at Utd it would already be announced, if he was going abroad they could announce it but due to a weird quirke in the law in England & Bosman he can't announce he's signed for another club in England until his current contract has expired.

Plot twist:

“Fellaini announces United stay after being assured he will be the first name on the team sheet next season...”

Imagine the uproar in here... :p

I smell a rat with this.

Surely it would have been agreed by now if it has been? Also why is he waiting until July 1st?

It’s time for him to move on, imagine him still here until 2020. Sheesh.

if we start with Valencia, Young, Smalling, Jones and Fellaini I'm joining the Jose out club :)

Seriously no!!

Why is he waiting until his contract runs out to do this? I smell a rat too.

I wonder if he knows the extent that the Utd fans want him out and he's taking the pi** and stringing out out to annoy us, then sign again to really annoy us bigtime.

I think him even being offered a new contact just shows how far Jose has fallen from grace. What is the guy even thinking?

Fellaini is a squad player. Would we prefer part of the remaining budget used on buying a replacement for a squad player or the remaining budget on player(s) who will improve the first team? Fellaini is a far better option than McTominay, who is an underwhelming option as fifth choice. I didn't see enough of Pereira at Valencia to give an opinion.

What your missing is the fact that it means more route 1 foootball. That's ok if your Stoke, or in the Championship but not for Manchester United. We need more quality and we will NEVER win anything with him playing for us, esp when Jose thinks the sun shines out of his arse!

He's cumbersome, slow, gives fouls away in places where you really don't want him too. Leon Osman said of him at Everton, 'we wanted him as far away from our own box as possible'.

I actually prefer him as far as way from Old Trafford as possible.

I agree Pereira and Mctominay aren't the solution.

We have

Pogba
Matic
Fred
Herrera

To play probably a 3. I would rather a top quality player to come in and put pressure on those 3 picked. Matic can't do a whole season again, Pogba is inconsistent, Fred is unknown.

I would much rather we bought Verratti/Savic or some other quality midfielder to really push the players.

If we leave the back up as

Mctominay
Pereira
Fellaini

then there isn't enough pressure on the starting 3 to be consistent.

I would sell/lose Fellaini and Pereira, loan out Mctominay and buy some quality.

What your missing is the fact that it means more route 1 foootball. That's ok if your Stoke, or in the Championship but not for Manchester United. We need more quality and we will NEVER win anything with him playing for us, esp when Jose thinks the sun shines out of his arse!

He's cumbersome, slow, gives fouls away in places where you really don't want him too. Leon Osman said of him at Everton, 'we wanted him as far away from our own box as possible'.

I actually prefer him as far as way from Old Trafford as possible.

Fellaini isn't going to be first choice.

No you're right but he will get plenty of game time throughout the season and will be the go to player if we are struggling for a goal or defending for our lives. I'd bet he will get 20/25 starts at least, including cup games played. I'd rather, like Mr C says, buy some quality so we dont have to be in these situations in the first place.

Just my opinion though

For the club to be where we want it to be, playing the football we want to see, Fellaini should not be at the club. We should always be looking to play football on the ground.

We've won three cups with Fellaini playing for us thus far.

Yeah but 5 seasons he's been here and we've sustained 0 title challenges, not putting that all on him I'm saying having players of his quality in the squad and playing regularly is not a title winning remedy. You can make a case for any of these average guys staying but it feels like these sort of players always end up staying rather than just let them go.

This summer as it stands Utd lose 2 centre mids for nothing personally I think the club should invest in 2 new centre mids as replacements if we don't have the budget to do that I'd rather they give McTominay or Periera a chance or even just get an experienced guy in on loan for a season as a bit of cover.

He reflects what I think has been a compete abortion of a transfer policy over 5 seasons now where we've continued to make bad signing who haven't settling into the squad for one reason or another which has meant buying 2 or 3 players before we finally get what we want. Fellaini was Moyes signing as a DM, LVG then signed Schniederlin for that role now Mourinho has signed Matic who's actually solved the problem that existed for 5 years.

That's just in central midfield in defence and attack it's been largely the same problem where signings have been complete disaster.

Anyway the fact he's said he's got to wait until the 1st July to make the announcement to me says he's off to another PL club as why drag it out any longer than is needed if he's agreed to stay they could announce it at any point if he's agreed to join another club in PL he has to wait until his contract has expired to make any announcement.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back