Diogo Dalot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say we have been doing lots of scouting behind the scenes on Dalot. Jose must still have his contacts at Porto and within Portuguese football so like I mentioned before I don’t think this is an off the cuff type of signing ala Bebe.

I guess if we do get him then Valencia will probably be number one next season but Dalot will be nurtured to take over from him the season or two after. It makes a whole lot of sense instead of spending £50m on Sidibe or Hysaj. However, I really do hope he works out if he does arrive because Porto fans really rate him and say his potential is huge.

To be fair I think Pereira has proven he doesnt need to be handheld with the fact that he has shone in La Liga for two years on the bounce, I think if he can play CM and have a great game in the Bernabeu then he can defo do it in the Premier League. A lot of these boys have done their learning/hard work all about giving them some trust and a chance.

Don't want us turning into Chelsea where we have loans galore, great youth set up but a manager who won't give the young players the chance they need.

McTominey obviously being the only one to have broken through under Jose so far.
It would be stretching it to say he has shone in the laliga. He started out well enough but he has had a lot of sub appearances in the last few months. Also didn’t have enough impact in Valencia’s season to warrant a starting place in United’s first team straight away.

Yeah doing the research on him first would make a nice change as we seem to have gone from doing that, to just buying ready made stars who don't fit the requirements of the club, fingers crossed he fulfills his potential and is our right back for years to come, we really seem to struggle when it comes to developing young talent and helping them reach their potential.

I find this a hard thing to measure as potential is impossible to measure I mean how do you decide where to set the bar on what a player can achieve.

De Gea, Shaw, Smalling, Jones, lingard, Rashford & Martial are all players who’ve developed at Utd all have improved massively from where they started apart from Shaw. Smalling & Jones hit a bit of a ceiling and Shaw suffered a horrendous injury.

There’s just so many factors at play hopefully this lad stays fit which is the main one.

There’s so little time between games at Utd basically playing every 3 days so must be tough finding time to do one to one sessions with players you need to hope he’s got the attitude where he’s looking at doing that stuff in his own time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would say we have been doing lots of scouting behind the scenes on Dalot. Jose must still have his contacts at Porto and within Portuguese football so like I mentioned before I don’t think this is an off the cuff type of signing ala Bebe.

I guess if we do get him then Valencia will probably be number one next season but Dalot will be nurtured to take over from him the season or two after. It makes a whole lot of sense instead of spending £50m on Sidibe or Hysaj. However, I really do hope he works out if he does arrive because Porto fans really rate him and say his potential is huge.
I wouldn't be shocked if Jose uses him as a right sided attacker initially performing those defensive winger duties that he loves so much and give him a few starts against fodder over the next couple of years.

It would be stretching it to say he has shone in the laliga. He started out well enough but he has had a lot of sub appearances in the last few months. Also didn’t have enough impact in Valencia’s season to warrant a starting place in United’s first team straight away.

Don't think I have mentioned a starting spot at United, what I have said is that he deserves the chance to be a SQUAD MEMBER the likes of McTominey has enjoyed this year, he has improved hugely in his two years in Spain, Valencia have a very good squad and were pushing for 3rd for a large portion of the season, he deserves to be given a chance of a breakthrough season at United, not saying he will take it, but he deserves the chance to be given a crack, two years in Spain and doing well warrants that.

All of Lingards loans were not (starting every game smashing in goals and assists) he came back and was given a chance and has taken it, why not Pereira?

Don't think I have mentioned a starting spot at United, what I have said is that he deserves the chance to be a SQUAD MEMBER the likes of McTominey has enjoyed this year, he has improved hugely in his two years in Spain, Valencia have a very good squad and were pushing for 3rd for a large portion of the season, he deserves to be given a chance of a breakthrough season at United, not saying he will take it, but he deserves the chance to be given a crack, two years in Spain and doing well warrants that.

All of Lingards loans were not (starting every game smashing in goals and assists) he came back and was given a chance and has taken it, why not Pereira?

Utd are in a tricky spot with him as he's only got 1 year on his contract and I don't think he's going to sign another one unless he's a proper first team squad member next season.

I guess the question is would Periera be a better option that McTominay in midfield or Mata in the front 3 next season as these two are probably the lowest down the pecking order of current first team players in the sort of positions he could plays.

I think they'd probably be happy to cash in on him as he never really established himself in that Valencia side and if he'd stayed with the injuries we had he might have actually got a chance by going he possibly let McTominay jump ahead of him in the queue.

What I've seen of him, which isn't much, he didn't look like he quite had enough to make into the first squad

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Utd are in a tricky spot with him as he's only got 1 year on his contract and I don't think he's going to sign another one unless he's a proper first team squad member next season.

I guess the question is would Periera be a better option that McTominay in midfield or Mata in the front 3 next season as these two are probably the lowest down the pecking order of current first team players in the sort of positions he could plays.

I think they'd probably be happy to cash in on him as he never really established himself in that Valencia side and if he'd stayed with the injuries we had he might have actually got a chance by going he possibly let McTominay jump ahead of him in the queue.

Didn't realise he only has a year left on his deal, yeah we will probably cash in on him this summer, I think Mata might go and I can see a RW coming in so he won't get a look in there, only position really would be back up to Pogba as the more advanced midfielder of the three so think it will be make or break if he adds another midfielder to the ranks, only squad place up for grabs would be there as McTominey will be back up for say Fred, Herrera for Matic and then Pereira potentially for Pogba, if we don't buy another CM he may well have a chance but if we do his days are defo numbered.

Seen a few reports on Dalot basically confirming that he's coming in to learn from Valencia who is expected to start the season as the first choice RB and will be appointed as captain.

The suggestion is with the price of full backs being what they are now they couldn't find a suitable first choice solution so they've took a gamble on this lad and exploited his buyout clause, something the club is keen to do in all deals as they feel in negotiations they are constantly asked to pay over the odds.

The hope is to get one or two more seasons out of Valencia who's considered a good influence in the dressing room and slowly transition him out if Dalot really kicks on though and proves himself to be the stronger player he will take over as first choice as soon as Mourinho thinks he's ready.

@Edgy1968 I could be wrong but seem to remember reading his contract was up in 2019 I just feel that if this kid was really ready he'd be forcing his way into that Valencia team and having more than a couple of good games, I think the way he left last summer probably didn't do him many favours with the manager who wanted him to stick around.

Yeah don't think he impressed Jose to much going to Valencia, ah we will see mate, always liked Pereira always seemed like he would make it, if he does go hopefully he goes somewhere decent and does well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back