His chance might come in CL if we get some dead rubber group games or if we get an easy draw in league cup he might get a chance off the bench.

A lot may depend on what happens with Periera & Januzaj. If one of them stays then they will probably get these games ahead of Gomes.

I think he'd have to do a lot in training to get Mourinho to trust him as that's just the way he is with youngsters but an injury crisis might force him to pick kids just like it did with LVG.

As I said, i'm not expecting him to play much at all but as we saw with Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah earlier in this season, he can be involved in first team training without playing. Fosu-Mensah was strictly a first team player this season, didn't play any U23s football, Tuanzebe did as he hadn't played any first team football, would expect Tuanzebe to not be involved with the U23s next season having started a few first team games now if Mourinho stands by his comments. He doesn't see any benefit in players playing below their level.

U18s: Derby County 0-2 Manchester United - 9th September 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thought he'd already signed his deal to be honest so this rumour is slightly worrying.

However, hopefully it'll all be solved because we don't want to let a player of Gomes' talent get away. There are still kind of conflicting results whether Nani is Gomes' cousin but if he is then hope he has a word in the young mans ear.

In an Interview he referred to Nani as his Godfather

"Nani is my godfather. He's been amazing to me and gives me lots of advice. I am just lucky to have someone like that in my life. When I was younger, he used to be my idol. I used to watch him and even practice his backflips on the trampoline."

@IDFD aren't they related? Sure I read somewhere that they're cousins.

Be very disappointing if he left but youngsters are very eager to play these days plus he can see that it's worked for Pogba, while his mate Sancho has also left for abroad recently.

Sancho left because he couldn't see a route to the first team hopefully Utd can show him that path but if he isn't getting chances in 1-2 seasons time he may start getting itchy feet.

He still needs to develop physically before he's first team ready but he looks like the real deal, hopefully the fact he considers himself a Salford lad means he will be patient unlike Sanchez who relocated from Watford to City at 15.

UEFA Youth League: CSKA 1-2 Manchester United - 27th September 2017

Good to see him fit again will be interesting to see if he gets a chance in the first team at some point.

U17s World Cup: Chile 0-4 England - 8th October 2017

Not sure if anything is going on with angel atm. Is he carrying an injury? Barely a played for England in the recent competition. Came on toward the end of the midweek u19 game. Not in the squad for todays academy game. There are lots of rumours about him going to Barcelona and we haven't seen much of him playing recently.

Think the reason he didn’t feature with England was he lost his place when he was injured and the team was playing so well they couldn’t put him back in even though he remained as captain.

Hopefully it’s just a slow comeback from his injury and nothing more sinister but there were rumours a while back about his contract situation being a growing concern at the club. Going to Barca would be crazy but you could see why he’s keeping his options open with his mate Sancho going to Dortmund he might follow a similar route if he doesn’t think his chance will come at Utd.

Phew. I was getting really worried this would be a Pogba situation! Chuffed he is staying because he is a top talent and I hope he can continue to flourish and eventually make his way into the first team.

Great to see him sign, will be interesting to see if he can push himself into the first team next season.

With the youth team going out last night i would hope some u23s go out on loan and angel gets promoted to that team.

With the youth team going out last night i would hope some u23s go out on loan and angel gets promoted to that team.

I'd imagine he will move up to the U23 setup for the rest of the season to move him up a level but I think it's to early for a loan he's still got a lot of physical development to do and I think we need to keep him around the club because he will be able to train with the first team at Carrington on and off and possibly even force his way into the match day squads if we get injuries.

I think we need to be careful with where we send him on loan next season if he does go out because he's still very young and maybe not physically ready to be chucked in leagues, he might be one who'd benefit from a season abroad somewhere but it depends how he'd adapt to being away from home.

The most important thing is we show this kid what his route into the first team setup looks like because that's how we lost Pogba he saw his pathway blocked and it was the same with Sancho (who's Gomes mate) at City he forced his way out because he couldn't see a route into the first team. It's not a long contract so we need to show how he can progress because if he isn't getting near the first team I think these talented kids will walk away now they're not going to wait.

Yeah Sancho leaving made me think Gomes might have had ideas put in his head. I think if Sancho had been given more games at Dortmund already he may have had his head turned by the chance to play first team football now. Gomes has been struggling with injuries this season and struggled with England U17s in their World Cup win. Wise to be cautious with injuries at hi age, without them I'd like to think he'd be very close to the first team but can't see it in his current condition.

His instagram story shows Sancho scoring for Dortmund and the stars in my eyes emoticon. Sancho going abroad and getting minutes is going start putting thoughts in to the rest of this young generation coming through they’re not gonna wait around forever when they can play top class football elsewhere

I have been watching Angel for a couple of years. He has massive potential but he is nowhere near ready for the first team. It's a tough one bit I actually see three or four youth team players developing before Angel. Both club and player need to show patience

Yes he has. He is injured at the moment. He is a huge talent but I can see issues in working out how best to use him. A lot will depend I guess on how much he fills out and how strong he becomes.

Bit like Lingard he might need to wait a bit longer so he can develop physically whereas Sancho who is his mate doesn’t have to wait that long.

A few years abroad in a less physical league might actually be good for his development and Utd could be clever with some loan moves for him over the next few years.

Probably needs a full season in the U23s first with us next season hopefully he can stay injury free then they can come up with a plan for him.

Didn't Butt say the U23's was a waste of time really and United don't concentrate on it?

I don't think he was quite that blunt but he basically said results wise at U23 level it doesn't really matter as most top players in that age range are already playing in first teams and the next level down are out on loan so you get some teams who have a load of 21-23 year olds who just aren't going anywhere in their career and then you have Utd playing 18-20 year olds in it.

Relegation isn't good because the U18's who've just won the league and will step up to U23 in theory aren't playing against the best of the best at the next level but the reality is they wouldn't be doing that anyway because the loan system means the top talent isn't playing in that league.

The general point he was making is anyone judging an academy on results is wasting their time the job of the academy is to prepare players for first team football at Utd or at another club not to win trophies. In terms of getting players into first teams not just at Utd but also other clubs there aren't really many clubs doing it better than Utd right now. Chelsea & City are 100% producing better talent than Utd right now but so far they can't get them into their first teams so these players are leaving.

Patience needed but was clear at end of last season how much Mourinho likes him to bring him on for Rooney.

Hopefully Gomes himself can be as patient as Lingard was.

It'll be tough because offers will come in and people will want to tempt him because he's such a talent but it's important Utd look at a pathway for him for example would a loan move to a Portugese or Dutch team be good for him next season where the league isn't as physical but he would learn a lot of important technical and tactical information.

People now are so desperate to rush kids into the first teams some are ready at 17 others aren't ready until they're 21 for various reasons.

Been a few whispers that he might ask to leave despite signing that new contract as he feels ready to play first team football.

He’s removed all the Man Utd stuff from his social media which is odd and attention seeking but some saying he’s considering doing what a few other youngsters have done and moving abroad to start his first team career.

Utd May need to find him a good loan move because he’s to good for U23 football especially with Utd being in division 2 this season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back