Mata's ruled out goal against Huddersfield

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ridiculous stuff. How they’ve overturned it is a joke. Thought it had to be a clear and obvious error?

The line wasn’t even freaking straight! This VAR system is pretty farcical at times and takes an age to come to a decision!!

Ridiculous stuff. How they’ve overturned it is a joke. Thought it had to be a clear and obvious error?

This is the problem that logic doesn’t seem to apply when it’s offside calls with VAR.

Surely like cricket they need a margin for error VAR would work if they went back to the daylight method on offside. If they flagged as offside and Mata puts it in the goal but keeper stops do they review it?

Why have technology that can only take goals away.

Graham Poll has said on BT that in cases of offside it’s not clear and obvious it is right or wrong so if you are 1mm offside then you are off and decision will be changed if necessary.

I’m still not sure if they’ve got this one right it looks like his knee is just offside.

This is awful for fans in the ground, players on the pitch and even people watching at home takes 2-3 minutes to decide.

I hope they ditch it just accept mistakes will be made by the ref because VAR will still have mistakes.

That was a horrible decision. The line they used to decide itself is crooked. There should be something called the linesman’s call like there is in cricket for decisions which are too close to call.

That was a horrible decision. The line they used to decide itself is crooked. There should be something called the linesman’s call like there is in cricket for decisions which are too close to call.

That’s what I think to it needs to be daylight to disallow a goal marginal calls like this drawing lines on the pitch can be deceiving with camera angles as it’s unlikely you have a camera dead level with the line.

I think the crooked line was misleading as they’re claiming it wasn’t used and that was why the decision took a while as they needed to sort the lines out.

The idea was to correct obvious errors not marginal calls this is where I think VAR might have grown out of control.

They guessed the actual decision. The correct line and angle used to get it right wasn’t available for 9 minutes Poll said

They guessed the actual decision. The correct line and angle used to get it right wasn’t available for 9 minutes Poll said

I think he said it took BT 9 minutes to produce their version but VAR generates it much quicker and they were given the footage used to make the decision during HT.

I thought when VAR is being used the TV audience could see the replays he was reviewing? That didn’t happen tonight but I’ve not watched many games with it being used.

If it’s disallowing goals like that why have linesman giving offside calls? Just check everything afterwards because now if the flag goes up and you’re through on goal and the ref blows his whistle VAR can’t give you your chance back.

Fans in the ground and watching on TV need to be able to see and hear what is being discussed or we can’t bring it in.

The trials I think have shown why it doesn’t work everyone hates it whereas other sports who’ve introduced it seem to have loved it from the start.

I suppose this is why they have a trial first, some big flaws to iron out though. In rugby, we've got questions from the ref to the video ref like "is there a clear and obvious reason why I can't award a try?" which indicates the ref thinks it's a try but is not sure or simply "try yes or no" where the ref has next to no idea and wants the TMO to review it. For me tonight that was a "is there a clear and obvious reason why I can't award a goal?", it wasn't clear and thus the ref's decision should have stood. I suppose same goes in cricket, they go to hawkeye for LBW decisions and if it's been given not out by the umpire but the hawkeye shows it clipping a stump, the umpires decision stands as it's too close to call or not "clear and obvious".

I think a bigger issue for most fans is not being happy with celebrating a goal only for there to then be a doubt over that for 2 minutes.

Here's another scenario. Let's go back to May 1999, "Giggs with the shot... SHERINGHAM.... *Bayern appeal for offside* NAME ON THE TROPHY... hang on no wait lets go to the video ref first" the goal is rightly given but momentum has been completely lost and Bayern have had time to regroup and see out normal time and the game goes to extra time.

I've been mostly for technology but maybe it just doesn't work in football, goal line technology is perhaps enough. It's simple, quick and it's correct.

I suppose this is why they have a trial first, some big flaws to iron out though. In rugby, we've got questions from the ref to the video ref like "is there a clear and obvious reason why I can't award a try?" which indicates the ref thinks it's a try but is not sure or simply "try yes or no" where the ref has next to no idea and wants the TMO to review it. For me tonight that was a "is there a clear and obvious reason why I can't award a goal?", it wasn't clear and thus the ref's decision should have stood. I suppose same goes in cricket, they go to hawkeye for LBW decisions and if it's been given not out by the umpire but the hawkeye shows it clipping a stump, the umpires decision stands as it's too close to call or not "clear and obvious".

I think a bigger issue for most fans is not being happy with celebrating a goal only for there to then be a doubt over that for 2 minutes.

Here's another scenario. Let's go back to May 1999, "Giggs with the shot... SHERINGHAM.... *Bayern appeal for offside* NAME ON THE TROPHY... hang on no wait lets go to the video ref first" the goal is rightly given but momentum has been completely lost and Bayern have had time to regroup and see out normal time and the game goes to extra time.

I've been mostly for technology but maybe it just doesn't work in football, goal line technology is perhaps enough. It's simple, quick and it's correct.

The issue is with VAR they want offside to be fact they trust the replay so if the tip of your toe is offside then it’s offside.

The other items they are looking for a 2nd opinion based on addition replays so penalty, straight red card and foul in build up to a goal they’re all subjective decisions but offside is black and white it either is or isn’t.

Thing is they’ve trialled it for years and it still doesn’t seem to work and until you give the people operating it real. Life practise mistakes will still be made.

Tonight the VAR got the decision correct but the way it’s presented is sloppy and I’ve always maintained just leave it as it is and accept bad decisions as part of the game.

Like you say in Rugby the refs use it as a crutch and check everything and it does effect the celebration of a try because you know you probably need to wait for TMO unless the guy has run clear to touch down.

I just feel sorry for fans in the ground those who’ve paid the most to see this event have no idea what is actually going on when the refs step in.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back