Ozil on a free?

I think Martial has pretty much cemented that left hand side and will be amazed if he has bought Sanchez to replace one of our best players, I can see, from the start of next season, Sanchez maybe playing behind Lukaku as a second striker, I think for this year he will play mainly from the right hand side but can see a top class RW coming in this summer, not sure who.

Not sure what games he is watching if he thinks the left hand side is a problem, nearly every attack/goal come from down there lol

All depends on where he see's Sanchez playing long term, if he is going to play as a second striker then he will probably go for a top class right winger this summer, but if he plays him out on the right, then Ozil or maybe Dybala will be the targets.

Interesting to see where he plays over the next few weeks.

I think Ozil could be an option because I think Mata will leave this summer as will Zlatan so in theory that number 10 spot is up for grabs and Ozil is the guy in world football who defines the position in my opinion. However, it's not a position Utd always use because it seems obvious that in bigger games we want to be going more 4-3-3 but with 2 defensive players and Pogba rather than the way City play it with 2 attacking players and Fernandino.

Considering the money that needs to be spent in midfield and possible even more getting spent on the defence still don't think he's convinced by his centre backs Ozil on a free could be a solution but he would be looking for big wages, I think he'd also have to accept that he wouldn't always strart big games because he doesn't do the defensive work Mourinho wants from his players.

If we signed Ozil on a free and sold Mata even for £15m potentially we've replaced Mata/Mhiki with Ozil & Sanchez and came out in profit on transfers even if our wage bill goes up.

Yeah interesting to see where he strengthens and whereabouts, he will want hard working midfielders who can also play a ball, the lad at nice, saul at madrid, jorginho fall into this category for me.

I would love to see Isco but he might be a little to forward thinking for that third midfielder role.

As long as Sanchez is happy on the right, Ozil would be an awesome signing.

The reports are that Mourinho is targetting a left footed forward for the summer I assume to give him that option on the right, we've kind of put ourselves in a bit of a corner because we've currently got 5 wide players who are all right footed and a centre forward who I believe is left footed. Of the 5 right footers I don't think any of them are confident shooting on their left foot to the point where you'd say they were two footed players Sanchez/Mata are probably the most comfortable on either foot.

Ozil would be another right footer what I think Mourinho wants is a Robben or a Salah a guy who's perfected that skill of cutting in on to his left foot and getting shots off at the keeper the last player we had who did that was probably Nani.

Ozil I think would be an upgrade on Mata but I don't think either are the player Mourinho really wants as his number 10 I think he'd love a player like Delle Alli because of the phyiscal side of things he brings or a Dybala/Griezmann type basically a much better version of Lingard who will play quickly but also press the opposition into mistakes. I really like Ozil but he's the classic great when it's going well player rather than a guy who can just give you something out of nowhere which is what I think he's looking for going forward.

I honestly can't think of many left foot right wingers? anyone think of any?

Have to admit I'm a massive fan of Dybala

I think Griezmann could be an excellent left footed right forward... unfortunately he's been playing as a support striker in a 442 so not got much evidence to support that.

I honestly can't think of many left foot right wingers? anyone think of any?

Have to admit I'm a massive fan of Dybala

Robben
Bale
Salah

Errrr that’s all I’ve got off the top of my head probably loads I haven’t thought about.

For years everyone needed a left footer to play left wing now we all need one to play on the right ;)

Haha I know mate, remember those wingers, hugging the touchline, beating a player, whipping a ball in? Ah memories lol

I know, the fact that Robben is still one of the first you think off tells you that its a struggle to think of any haha

I think Griezmann could be an excellent left footed right forward... unfortunately he's been playing as a support striker in a 442 so not got much evidence to support that.

Yeah he played from the right when at Sociedad and i think maybe his first year in Madrid but obviously moved to the middle after that, now that would be scary, Martial Sanchez Griezmann behind Lukaku lol

Yeah he played from the right when at Sociedad and i think maybe his first year in Madrid but obviously moved to the middle after that, now that would be scary, Martial Sanchez Griezmann behind Lukaku lol

Never understood the idea of signing a guy who's made his name playing in the middle and putting him out wide, the reason is once these boys go in the middle they never want to go back on the wing and also you pay a massive premium for a central player over a wide player.

I'm a square blocks for square holes kind of thinker especially when buying premium talent if you need a right winger who's left footed you should be searched for the best player in that position who currently plays that position and does what you want to do, if you can't find one who is available then you look to comprimise.

If we buy Griezmann it has to be to play as a centre forward either as the main striker or just off the main striker as that is the role that's made him a house hold name forget the fact he started as a wide player with Socieded. Van Persie started on the wing but he became a superstar when they moved to the middle.

Sometimes when a top guy is available you've just got to go for him like we've done with Sanchez but you can't do that all the time otherwise you end up like Madrid with that Galactico policy first time around.

Griezmann played as a wide man mate for years before Athletic moved him to the centre, thats what am saying, he was a right winger until about 2/3 years ago

What he means is much like Henry RVP yes they were wingers once upon a time but it's since moving through the middle that he's really become a superstar

Yeah I know mate, ask any attacker and his dog and they all wanna play in the hole as a 10 or the main striker, last thing the likes of Griezmann want to do is track back, the reason why there are hardly any world class right wingers because everyone wants to play in the middle.

Before we sold Miki we had 5 No. 10s/strikers playing as wingers, traditional wingers don't seem to exist anymore so pretty much everyone who plays out there these days is a CF turned winger/inside forward.

Griezmann played as a wide man mate for years before Athletic moved him to the centre, thats what am saying, he was a right winger until about 2/3 years ago

Yeah but he was a kid coming through and young kids often get shunted out wide while they learn the ropes pretty sure Luis Suarez played wide when he was at Ajax when it comes to developing young talent it's very rare for a player to come straight in as a centre back, centre mid of centre forward most of the time they start wide while they learn.

Griezmann WAS a wide player but he isn't anymore since he joined Atletico he's always been in the middle in a front 2 as he was signed to replace Diego Costa, for France at Euro 2016 they played him wide and he was rubbish moved him central after 1 game and ended up being top scorer. My point is you don't pay £100m for a guy who used to be a winger your paying £100m because he's a top class striker. I'm pretty sure in his last season with Sociedad he moved from his wide role into a central position which is what attracted Atletico to him as a Costa replacement (Diego Costa was another who started as a wide player then moved central).

Cleverley, Wilshere and Fletcher all started their careers in first team football playing out wide then moved into the centre over time once they'd adjusted.

The way I'd see it is he did his apprenticeship out on the wing but now he's a qualified central player and there's no going back.

Even look at the top top players in world football, Neymar was a striker got punted out wide to be accommodated, there are very few natural wide men anymore, most of them are centre forwards who have to play out wide to get into the side, if and when Griezmann signs for Barca in the summer, I can bet you £100 right now he won't be playing up front and taking Suarez's place, so where do they fit him in? My guess is out wide, so he can do it for Barca but he can't for us?

Saying that if he does it at Barca its a "masterstroke" and they have found a position for him to let him express himself, if Jose dares do it the place goes into meltdown haha

I think people get to hung up on formations with attacking players anyway a formation is a defensive shape not an attacking one the formation displays where you should be when the team doesn't have the ball. When a team attacks some coaches like Pep demand the team stays in shape he doesn't want his winger coming inside all the time he often has them hugging the touch lines and stretching the pitch, people forget Guardiola football is like LVG football it's all systematic. It's just done a lot lot better than LVG managed to do it at Utd because he has way better players who are suited to it.

Mourinho & Wenger allow certain players much more freedom to go where they want when the team has the ball players like Ozil can go where he wants but when the team lose the ball he's expected to get back into a certain position or more likely cover a certain player.

Where the two managers above might have been left behind is I think modern managers are coaching attacking shapes and patterns almost like American Sports teams are running set plays in games because they know where their team mate either is or should be rather than making it up and reacting as you go along which is sort of how Arsenal & Utd play.

Yeah agree with that, think it was on MNF ages ago they were going through Peps attacking plays etc, triangles, one touch, where to move and when, very clever when you sit and watch it broken down.

A lot of our width comes from our full backs so suppose they can just come inside and cause trouble.

Henry said Pep's main tactic was for the wide players to hug the touchline, first two thirds team stay in formation, last third do what you want.

I think we can miss Ozil and go for a wide player.

I think on a free you can take him as a luxury given wages for Utd really aren’t a problem for us but if we got him we’d still probably need a top draw left footed wide player to give us a full deck in terms of attacking options.

Probably spells the end for Mata if he came but I guess it will depend on what him and his agent want from the deal, I think he will stay at Arsenal though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Obviously getting paid more at Arsenal than he would anywhere else, gets more freedom to play how he wants to play than he would anywhere else, there's almost no penalty for failure at Arsenal unlike other clubs and he might like living in London.

£350,000 per week is a lot of money for anyone to turn down. At least that’s what I read somewhere.

£350,000 per week is a lot of money for anyone to turn down. At least that’s what I read somewhere.

Yep that's probably similar to what we're actually paying Sanchez and no club in the world other than Arsenal will offer Ozil that sort of money.

Ozil, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan could be a pretty deadly front 3 especially if those two who can get the sort of link up they had in Dortmund going again.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back