Debate: Daniel Sturridge

Red Warrior

I was just reading about Sturridge and how he isn't getting games due to the front 3 Klopp prefers.

Would it be the craziest idea in the world for Utd to take a punt on him? A proven goalscorer, he'd bag 20 goals a season easy. I could see him playing well with Lukaku in a 4-1-3-2 against the lesser teams.

Imagine:
Matic
Martial-Pogba-Sanchez
Lukaku-Sturridge

Thoughts??

Cons
He's reported to be on £150k a week at Liverpool.
Doesn't seem to want to play through the pain barrier.
Doesn't like to press from the front.
Doesn't like to run channels.
Doesn't really hold the ball up.

Pros
Probably the best English finisher around at the moment.
Scores all types of goals
Think he's got the right sort of attitude to be a top player nothing phases him.

All that said I wouldn't go anywhere near him he's not a Mourinho type player and he's bounced around all the top clubs and never really settled anywhere, he's ended up just dissapearing under Klopp and I think the best thing for Sturridge would be to go to a middle tier prem club and have them build around him. The issue with that is he gets a lot of injuries and when he's injured unless you've got a like for like replacement your team doesn't work it's like West Ham trying to play long ball with Hernandez up top instead of Carroll.

I actually like Sturridge think he's had to put up with a lot of needless flack in his time he rates himself which is what you want from strikers.

The big thing for him is could he take that dent to his status and go and be the main man at a smaller club.

At Liverpool he hasn't lost out to their front 3 for any other reason than Klopp just prefers Firmino over Sturridge. He wsa their main man for a good while so saying he bounced around and never settled is maybe a bit harsh. At Man City he wsa cutting his teeth a bit like what Rashford is doing now, at Chelsea he was a competing with Drogba. I'm sure if asked to press he could do the job as he is an intelligent footballer and I'm thinking of him more as a second striker. Would you take Hernandez over him? He is a good poacher in the box, Sturridge can, like you say, score all sorts of goals. And besides, he has a great goal celebration haha

He's 28 years old and he's played 273 games scoring 101 goals in 10 seasons so in all comps he's averaged 27 games a season and 10 goals a season in those 10 seasons he's hit double figures in all comps 3 times and had 1 season where he scored 24 goals his next best is 13 goals.

He lost his place under Klopp because he couldn't rely on him to stay fit so he changed the way the team played to suit others who were fit and now Sturridge seems to be fit he can't force his way in because he no longer suits the style and the 3 guys ahead of him are on fire.

Utd have Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford & Zlatan as centre foward options I don't see why we'd consider getting in Sturridge even with Zlatan going we'd still have 4 options at centre forward.

I quite liked Sturridge as a player and it's a shame for England he never fulfilled his potential but I think at 28 his time at the big clubs has gone it's fair to say injuries cut him down in him prime but there's always been a story with him that he's a player who won't play through the pain barrier. Players who have had a lot of injuries especially muscle ones like he's had naturally become cautious and will stop at the first sign of trouble.

Good debate and points! Can't even see us signing him but it's good arguing it out lol

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back