Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Surely will never happen. Such a mismatch that it shouldn't be granted a license.

Hasn't Mayweather already got his license to box in Nevada sorted? It's just a medical thing which he would pass easily.

It's not a sanctioned fight as neither man holds any titles so it's not like the WBA, WBO, WBC or IBF have to put their neck on the line it's basically a prize fight where the only thing on the line is money.

Mayweather should win comfortably as everything is stacked in his favour apart from age but if he's still physically fit enough to do 12 rounds I don't see how he can lose unless he walks onto a punch but he's never really let any of the actual boxers he's fought do that.

I just hope McGregor gets bored after a few rounds and starts unleashing a few kicks and puts him in a submission hold.

I meant McGregor boxing license. Regardless of belts on the line the fight has to be sanctioned by one of the boxing bodies.

It's a complete mismatch and McGregor has no fight getting in a boxing ring with someone of Mayweathers class. Though I'll enjoy watching him get taught a lesson.

I meant McGregor as well pretty sure he's sorted his license out.

It's stupid really it's not a level playing field it's just 2 guys and their promoters trying to make a load of money out of fans. Mayweather should be ashamed of coming out of retirement for this.

If McGregor loses he just goes back to UFC and fights there for loads of cash.

It's going to be criminally one sided. Sure Mayweather has been in retirement for 2 years but he's kept himself in shape and he won't have lost his class. McGregor hasn't even boxed as an amateur, he is going to get horrifically embarrassed. But hey they are both gonna make a stupid amount of $$$$$

Not to say McGregor hasn't got a massive punch in him because he will clearly have but one of Mayweather's best traits is his flawless defence so it's whether McGregor can pierce through that to even make a telling blow.

It'll purely come down to how good Mayweathers reflexes are after 2 years out of the ring if his skills are still there McGregor doesn't stand a chance unless he catches him with a lucky punch which is something that can happen to any boxer at any time.

McGregor might be able to hit hard and be quick but it's not like the guys Mayweather was fighting for the last decade were slow and couldn't throw a punch he wins these fights because he's very hard to hit as he anticipates your punch, moves then often hits with a quick counter which will score points with the refs he takes very few clean hits.

If they wanted to fight have a proper fight don't bring the sport of boxing into this my guess is they don't want anything to do with this circus.

All the good stuff that came out of Joshua vs Klitchko the level of respect shown between fighters before, during and after was so refreshing but that's all out the window this will be a race to the bottom to hype up the fight and sell it to casual fans.

It's gonna be a circus regardless. I've heard pundits say it should have been a no restriction fight, so McGregor can use his MMA kicks and anything he wants. Now that would have been an absolute farce.

I agree jsp that McGregor could well land a lucky punch and really hurt Mayweather but don't think he's even gonna get that close.

This isn't a fight. It'll be a 12 round clinic of Mayweather picking his punches for fun as and when he wants. Conor would lose in a boxing match to any of the top 100 currently active fighters at the weight of his choosing. He isn't a boxer and he's about to fight one of the greatest counter punches of all time.

Mayweather will be having fun Conor won't have the ability to cut the ring to punch him.

I wouldn't even say Conor has a massive punch in him. There is a big difference in the gloves they'll be using compared to what he is used to fighting with.

It's gonna be a circus regardless. I've heard pundits say it should have been a no restriction fight, so McGregor can use his MMA kicks and anything he wants. Now that would have been an absolute farce.

I agree jsp that McGregor could well land a lucky punch and really hurt Mayweather but don't think he's even gonna get that close.

This is the thing though where's the middle ground you can't expect Floyd to compete if it's an MMA fight as he's not trained in MMA fighting and it puts it to much in his favour for it to be a boxing match, because he's one of the best fighters in history even if he did peak 10 years ago. It's the whole who'd win a race between Usain Bolt & Mo Farah well it all depends on the distance the general consensus is up to 400m Bolt would win but above that things would move towards Farah.

The only thing McGregor has to his advantage is that Floyd can't prepare there's no footage of him boxing so tactically it'll be very hard for Floyd to prepare as a big part of boxing is watching the tapes of the previous fights to look for patterns and weaknesses that you can exploit and Floyd is great at spotting that sort of stuff. I mean you could use some MMA tapes but his stance for boxing will be different so you can't read to much into it. McGregor's best shot is the element of surprise early on can he catch Mayweather before Floyd has worked out how to beat him.

haha, this is a joke.

Might as well throw Rousey in the mix and make it a tag match.

This isn't a fight. It'll be a 12 round clinic of Mayweather picking his punches for fun as and when he wants. Conor would lose in a boxing match to any of the top 100 currently active fighters at the weight of his choosing. He isn't a boxer and he's about to fight one of the greatest counter punches of all time.

Yeah it could well turn into a charity bout with Mayweather in total control for as long as he wants. I am interested to see how McGregor approaches it, obviously he's gonna be in training from now on but he may well be too impetuous to make an impact and get floored early. No doubt it'll be on box office and I'm not paying for it but will be good to see it on highlights.

Will watch with intrigue, people will pay for it and they probably will enjoy it. McGregor good with both hands, quick, got a big punch in him and can take a punch too. Will be very naive to suggest he can out box one of the best there has ever been but there's potential for it to be closer than some suggest. He might be new to Boxing but Mayweather has little to no idea what to truly expect from him as a boxer and McGregor will probably be awkward to box against as an unorthodox southpaw.

I genuinely can't see someone with Mayweathers boxing experience and intelligence having any problems. He'll start slowly and have Conor worked out within a round. You're literally talking about possibly the greatest boxer of all time getting in a ring with someone whose never had a boxing match in his life.

The big question will be can McGregor punch with power from a boxers stance and will he be able to create openings in the notoriously tight Mayweather defence to actually land one of these shots.

McGregor is used to punching an opponent from distance obviously in MMA fighting you can't risk going in to close as you'll likely wrestled to the floor and be in a defensive position whereas a big part of boxing is getting in close and hitting big shots while you're tucked in tight to your opponent.

It'll be interesting to see if Mayweather has the power still to knock out a guy like McGregor who's used to taking punches from guys who are bigger than Floyd wearing gloves that have a lot less padding.

This whole thing just feels like some random show you see on TV late at night where they're comparing who'd win a fight between a Shark & a Crocodile.

This whole thing just feels like some random show you see on TV late at night where they're comparing who'd win a fight between a Shark & a Crocodile.

Pretty much sums up the fight neatly.

I'm very willing to be proved wrong because it would make a great spectacle but Mayweather is gonna school McGregor and I hope he does.

I guess we can all make assumptions about how prepared McGregor is gonna be and he is clearly a strong guy, however Mayweather is as shrewd as they come. It'll be good for Mayweather to round up his record to 50-0-0.

It's got a certain car crash TV quality to it you kind of don't want to watch it but you can't help but feel drawn to it as you want to know what will happen and that's what they want the PPV taking on this thing they're suggesting could top $1bn which is some serious numbers.

I just can't help but feel it'll be a let down unless McGregor snaps and hits Mayweather with a elbow to the face and puts him in some sort of submission hold.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have to admit I was a big fan of McGregor's F You pin stripes on his suit the other night haha

Don't know what it is but I can't stand that McGregor. I hope Mayweather (even though he is nearly as big a clown as McG) comes out and sticks him on his arse in the first round. Though I feel this will be as fixed as they come and it will be a very close points decision so McG can walk away with 50 billion or whatever and hold his head high that he went 12 rounds with the best and May keeps his unbeaten record. No way will he go into that fight at 49-0, fight someone who isn't even a proper boxer and have a even a slim chance of being beat, it would ruin his legacy.

I think they're both a bit annoying but McGregor at least does it in a funny way Mayweather just throws money around to make everyone hate him.

The whole thing is a joke the PPV price in America is $100 which is crazy.

Mayweather goes in at 49-0 and comes out 49-0 because this shouldn't be sanctioned as a boxing match it's an exhibition fight for 2 guys to make an absolute fortune.

Unless McGregor can land an absolute sucker punch on him and KO him I just don't see how he wins as there's no way he can beat Floyd on points

The PPV price is absurd, this could in truth be over in a couple of rounds. I honestly think it'll last for as long as Mayweather wants it to last.

All these McGregor fanboys who are saying he'll beat him because 'he's got a smashing punch on him' clearly don't know anything about boxing. I don't particularly like either of them but the fact McGregor thinks he's on a par with Mayweather makes me hope he gets his ass handed to him.

The McGregor "fanboys" also assume that he hits harder with boxing gloves on than the 49 others who've tried to knock Mayweather our over the last 20 years.

It's very hard to hit a clean shot on Floyd he's an expert at reading your punches and deflecting them away the only thing he might struggle with is McGregor is going to be unorthodox in the way he throws his punches so they may be harder to read and he won't have hours of video to watch to work out his style.

I don't think McGregor actually thinks he's on par they're both trying to sell a fight and the way McGregor does that is he runs his mouth and whips up the crowd into the frenzy it's all an act and a persona he's like a WWE wrestler he's basically the UFC version of Stone Cold Steve Austin from back in the day. McGregor isn't looking for a career in boxing he'll collect his pay cheque probably go and do a few more fights in UFC then he'll probably retire.

Isn't the $100 fairly normal for a PPV out there? Here it'll be the usual £16-18

I've seen both press conferences I honestly hope Mayweather can't be bothered to mess around and just knocks him out quickly. I liked him when he was fairly fresh on the scene but his 'personality' is just grinding now.

I think with the purse McGregor is going to earn for this fight he won't ever need to fight again.

I watched it. Thought that McGregor done well in surviving as long as he did and he looked like he could have been dangerous in rounds one and two.

However after that Mayweather became the only winner.

I watched the fight yesterday afternoon.

Mayweather took time to realise that Conors power couldn't hurt him once he knew that it was game over. He just walked Conor down letting Conor land on him. Very different from the usual Mayweather style but Conor had nothing that scared him. Conor going on about wanting to be knocked out and that he was still on his feet but he hadn't throw a punch in over a minute.

People assuming McGregor had the power to knock him out were clearly wrong it's not like boxers for the last decade who punch harder and faster in boxing gloves were hurting Mayweather.

Haven't seen it but the reports say that after a few rounds where Floyd worked him out and McGregor tired then it became very one sided as a fight, I know what McGregor is saying about carrying on until he's been put down but boxing doesn't work like that when a guy is clearly to tired to defend himself it's not right to let someone keep punching him in the head.

It was a non-entity of a fight. People saying that McGregor did well to get in so many punches is very well, however he never looked like hurting Mayweather in a million years. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, as soon as it started you knew it was a matter of when not if Mayweather would pick McGregor off.

If you listen to Floyd post fight he basically admits without actually saying it that at 40 years old and having been retired for 2 years he didn't have the energy to throw the combinations that would of probably floored McGregor, he even said McGregor would be taken apart by the younger fighters who'd be able to hit him with the combinations without getting tired. You also probably have to say that at 40 Floyd probably doesn't have the power he had in his prime to land a 1 punch knockout especially after the first few rounds of the fight.

He also said he hasn't bothered sparring for the last 6 weeks. Show's how little preperation he bothered putting in to the fight.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back