Nemanja Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

There has been an increase in speculation that United are close to signing Nemanja Matic. Thoughts?

Uninspired, underwhelmed... Just a few words to sum up my thoughts.

I've said it before in another thread that it would be a meh signing for me. I've got nothing wholly against Matic but just a personal preference that I've never really rated him. I wouldn't be crying into a bottle if we did get him but I wouldn't be jumping for joy.

If we were to get Fabinho however, then it would be different matter...

Improves the squad maybe not the best XI.

However, having him in the middle of a 3 might allow Pogba & Herrera more freedom to go forward if he is a starter but he also would allow us to rest Pogba or Herrera without massively weakening the side.

He's a bit of a 7/10 at everything player not brilliant but not bad either.

I feel he's an upgrade on Fellaini for the midfield positions.

Still feels strange that Chelsea are willing to sell they must have at least 2 midfielders coming in to be happy to let him go as he had a good partnership with Kante.

Your definitely right no ones gonna go down the pub and brag we've got Matic at all. However I think it's fair to say he will improve our squad. Look at what that idiot fellaini did last year at Everton. You'd like to think Matic wouldn't do that and this will take minutes away from Fellaini so that's a positive in itself.

Just can't see how when Jose drew his list up for Ed, how Matic's name would have been on it. He must have thought it's unlikely they would sell to both us or him anyway. So how far down was he in the original pecking order must Matic have been really? Feels like a frustrating window already and it's not even open yet!

Might be that his list had 2 midfielders on it one is Matic the other might be a bit more of a playmaker or attacking option.

3 1/2 seasons at Chelsea won the title twice playing an important role so he must be doing something right. Jose worked with him for 2 of those seasons so he knows exactly what he offers and he must feel that he can play a role that makes us better.

It looks like DDG is staying there's no talk about LBs so maybe he wants a CB, 2 x CM, a winger and a CF.

I'd be happy with Matic. My only issue with signing him is that he's coming to the end of his peak, he's not a long term replacement for Carrick so could well mean that another younger midfielder gets signed also. Matic would provide us with more experience and I think would allow others around him to play better.

I'm not saying his a bad player. Not at all. His very good at what he does. Which is break up attacks and give the ball. His big and powerful and will dominate the midfield. Next to Pogba we have 2 units in midfield. Just feel uneasy about all the players we got linked with before and how they are more dynamic. Plus how easily Chelsea are letting him go. Plus how we are paving the way for bakayoko to go to the bridge. Bothers me. Maybe bakayoko will flop and we will end up with a 2 time premier league champion. But still

He would definitely give us a physical presence in the midfield and some extra height which could be useful in both defence and offence. The one thing he has going for him is the experience in the EPL, who knows if the likes of Fabinho or Bakayoko would settle. Also Jose knows him well so will utilise him fully. Still unsure about the potential signing but I'm warming slightly to the idea.

As has been said, I think I would be a bit disappointed with Matic. Not what I was hoping for really. Thing is, can you really see Chelski selling us one of their players? I'm not convinced on that. And the cost has been touted at 35-40mil!!
Obviously he has just won the league and played most games. On the other hand Kante got all the praise.

To be honest I wish whoever we are going to buy we just get on with it as I'm sick of the bull**it gossip. I get excited that it's gonna be Fabinho, then read its Matic, then Nainggolan gets mentioned and I get excited again then its Matic is defo gonna sign this week aggghhhhh!

Matic's height advantage may mean less Fellaini so i'm all for it. Plus he's capable of scoring an absolute ripper from time to time and I love that.

I think Matic is a better player than a lot of people are giving him credit for. I think we were all hoping for someone a bit better on the ball but although he's no Carrick, he can be quite a dominant in terms of dictating play albeit in a more physical, less graceful manner. Matic-Herrera-Pogba is a very solid midfield trio. Lindelof looks a good ball playing centre half which should improve distribution to the attacking players too and lessen the emphasis on Matic .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking likely that Matic is on his way but I don't think we are the only ones interested. It looks like he is the one we want so hope we go and get him and I would rather him to Dier in all fairness. Obviously Fabinho was the ideal summer outcome but Matic isn't a bad backup even though I haven't been his biggest fan.

Can someone tell me what Matic will bring to Utd?
He's not especially mobile, he will be 29 by the time the season starts and I've seen figures of £50m which is a joke. If Jose wasn't gonna be held to ransom by Inter he surely won't by Chelsea. If we got him for £25m as a back up cdm I'd say fair enough but we can't honestly build a team around him cam we?

Can someone tell me what Matic will bring to Utd?
He's not especially mobile, he will be 29 by the time the season starts and I've seen figures of £50m which is a joke. If Jose wasn't gonna be held to ransom by Inter he surely won't by Chelsea. If we got him for £25m as a back up cdm I'd say fair enough but we can't honestly build a team around him cam we?

1) he's better than Fellaini
2) he's a double league winner in 3 1/2 seasons in England playing a starting role in both sides.
3) strong, good in the air, reasonable good with the ball, good long range shot. All things Jose likes in a player
4) manager has worked with him before so knows exactly what he's getting.
5) Mourinho doesn't set the prices and doesn't make the bids that is what Woodward does so if he decides to pay 30,40 or 50m who cares the club can afford it.
6) even at 29 he's 6 years younger than Carrick, I think this side needs a bit of proven experience.

I doubt we will pay £50m but if we do who actually cares he gives us much better options in midfield.

We aren't building a team around him we are hoping that he can help release Pogba by taking some defensive responsibility from him.

I'm not over the moon by his signing but give the guy a chance he might help make the little differences that allow others to shine.

His role and performances for Chelsea last season were understated. Pivotal in Jose's last title winning team. Wouldn't be my first choice and i'd be surprised to see us pay that much but as mentioned this squad could do with some experience added to it.

50m seems a little ott I think. For that money I'd look elsewhere

50m is just a figure a particular newspaper has chucked out there I very much doubt it would be that much certainly as a fixed fee can see it being more like £30m with maybe £5-10m of add ons similar to what they've paid out for Bakayoko.

If he is the one would be nice to get it concluded quickly so he can meet up with the team whe they get back from the pre season tour.

I don't care what the price is - if we want players in this market then we have got to pay up. We need a defensive midfielder badly and Matic would be a great fit so pay up.

On the topic of spending, City are getting stick for what they are spending but I say fair play to them - they are getting the players in early which will make a huge difference. The money being spent isn't that shocking either considering revenues nowadays. Getting it right on a number of positions this summer, even if spending a bit more than expected, would save money in the long run too instead of constantly trying to plug the same holes year after year on cheaper alternatives.

Could be real, could be fake.

20431415_1469526889750765_7029932754131542422_n.jpg

Good signing I feel. Price is on the high side but he frees up Herrera and Pogba

Hopefully get 3-4 good years out of him but he's a short term solution to our problem which is fine you don't always need to buy young.

Think this side needs guys who've been there and done it not many medals in the side right now especially league winners ones.

Good signing I feel. Price is on the high side but he frees up Herrera and Pogba

Prices are what they are.

Won the league twice in 3 seasons playing a starting role in both title winning campaigns and he's at his peak we've signed enough youth I think the team needs some experience and this guy has it.

I think it's best to just ignore prices these days, I think most transfers are gonna be a little inflated.

It's not the most exciting of signings but he could be one of our most crucial. He's never a player that's gonna look aesthetically pleasing but he's effective and adds some physicality into our side. I'm pretty happy with the move.

Mourinho: "I'm waiting for news. I know that he wants the move very very much. Number 31 is a free number. It was Schweinsteiger. It’s a free jersey, we have a few free and 31 is one of them."

I don't like the price, but he is what we need.

It's a strange pic. It looks like a selfie but all the text and numbers on his shirt would read backwards if it was. Who would take a pic from below like that? Why would anyone take a pic of themselves at their medical and publish it if the deal hadn't been released yet? Something fishy about all this but it does seem like JM has confirmed the deal will be happening. Unless that's made up too?

Yet again it is a waiting game!

All the reports seem to suggest that it's a done deal and will probably get confirmed today as he's on his way to carrington to do the final bits of the medical.

£40m is the fee being talked about how much of that is guaranteed and how much is bonuses we don't really know but Mourinho obviously sees him as an important piece and it would be great if we got a 3rd player in before the season starts.

Realistically we shouldn't care how much we pay for players, it doesn't come out of our pockets! There haven't been too many at CDM options to be fair, if we have tried to get other players we have obviously failed and JM knows Matic well, Matic will hit the ground running (not very fast knowing him lol) and he wont take half a season figuring the PL out which is really important. He is a PL winner, hard as nails and can hit a ball. He will sit and protect the cb's and free Pogs and Hererra up to do their thing. I am not excited about signing him but he may just be the signing that unlocks all the potential in our side. Here's hoping....

Jose has talked about him wanting to come, I don't think he would do that unless it's a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back