Bye Bye Januzaj

SuperRash

Seen this morning that we've received a bid for Januzaj from Sociedad for about £10m. Certain reports saying we will have a priority buy back clause. What do people make of this? Personally I never quite joined the hype that was around him, sure he made a great start under Moyes but his attitude blows and he looks very blasé on the pitch when he does play. Probably a good thing to get him out and see how he does in the future. He may well suit the Spanish league but apparently we also have other offers from various clubs.

The hype got out of control because he was the shining light in a sh*t show of a season under Moyes and off the back of that he got a great contract an anyone who'd seen this kid in reserve games could see that he was a serious talent. There was all the national teams fighting over him and his profile grew and grew but while he was fun to watch he wasn't actually doing much in terms of scoring or creating chances, he was very good at going on a nice dribble then putting it just wide it was obvious what the next step was for him and that was to improve his final product.

Think the years since that season have just been a complete waste he never really fit in with LVG he had that pointless spell at Dortmund and he was obviously sent to Sunderland just to get him out the club. I think Utd have probably been looking to move him on for a while now.

There are suggestions the money and fame went to his head a bit which is understandable and Utd played their part reportedly giving him a £60k a week contract, plus the number 11 shirt after Giggs retired but it felt like they didn't really have anyone there keeping an eye on him making sure he kept his feet on the ground. I think it's safe to say the club and his advisors haven't looked after him properly over the last 3 seasons and as a result his career has taken a bit of a nosedive, there's still plenty of time to recover but it'll be very hard for him to make it back to the very very top now.

This seems like a great move for him, I think the Spanish league is better suited to him as it's less physical and more technical and he might get his career back on track but I don't see him ever coming back to Utd.

Yeah I don't see us activating any kind of clause to bring him back, he'll probably have a decent career at wherever he goes but nothing world defining. But hey if he buckles down then he does have some talent that you
can mould.

I was perplexed when we sent him off to Dortmund, he wasn't exactly gonna be first choice there, he may as well have just stayed here. And well Messi couldn't have made that Sunderland team anything better than horrific.

Didn't Dortmund panic late in the window as they needed a backup striker to play in Europa league and took a punt on Januzaj. He obviously didn't fit in there probably for the same reasons he didn't fit in here.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like this is finally on after weeks of speculation. We've probably inserted some kind of buy back clause just in case he rocks the show in Sociedad.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wants to thank 'some of the coaches' according to his own tweet (yes I am sad and follow him). Wonder who that is a dig at? Are any of his previous coaches still at the club what with the Farce that Moyes pulled, and then getting LVG in let alone JM!

My guess he wanted to thank guys like McGuinness, Joyce & Fergie who looked after him from 16 and also Moyes for giving him a chance in the first team at Utd & Sunderland. Maybe even coaches like Phelan or Muelensteen who might have worked with him.

I wouldn't read to much into it could easily be a bad translation as the message probably wasn't written by someone speaking in their first language.

Hope he does well but I can't help but feel that he will be an expensive mistake for Sociedad, although Spanish football will suit him better than England.

We've had some great wingers ability wise here in recent years (Di Maria, Depay, Januzaj, Zaha) but they just haven't cut it based purely on mentality. Huge shame.

Mentality is one part of it but I don't think the coaching helped.

Zaha signed to play under Fergie then rocked up to a club in turmoil under Moyes and wasn't even given a chance to fail. One day the truth will come out about what happened but it seems like Moyes just didn't click with him. I don't think he was ever really good enough he's got talent but he isn't consistent.
Di Maria was fine but he just couldn't work with LVG right player wrong time he'd be great in a Fergie or Mourinho side.
Depay just seemed to get swallowed up by it all and again felt like LVG destroyed his confidence, I personally think he moved to soon he wasn't ready to make that big a jump.
Januzaj see above.

Takes a lot to be a winger at Utd there's huge pressure on you to perform as you are what the fans come to see and if you don't entertain them they can quickly turn on you. Utd have been a tough side to play for until last season the atmosphere around the club didn't seem right.

That's all very true - circumstances certainly didn't help any of them. I do feel however that the best players would react to those situations with more resilience and mental toughness and all of the above players severely lack that.

That's all very true - circumstances certainly didn't help any of them. I do feel however that the best players would react to those situations with more resilience and mental toughness and all of the above players severely lack that.

I think Di Maria is tough he just never wanted to be here in the first place he wanted to go to PSG but couldn't as they had FFP restrictions so it was either bench at Madrid or do a year at Utd then go to PSG. Utd got well and truely played on that deal hopefully lessons were learned by Woodward and the rest of the board.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back