Chris Smalling to leave United?

Sideshow Bob

Keane's likely arrival would raise fresh doubts over the future of another England defender, Chris Smalling, for whom United are willing to listen to offers. Mourinho has questioned Smalling's mental toughness and apparent reluctance to play through the pain barrier this season and is also thought to harbour concerns about the centre-half’s positional sense.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's easy to forget sometimes how big a jump this kid made.

He went from non-league to Fulham then Fulham to Utd in the space of about 18 months.

12 months ago it really looked like he'd got his game together but this season he's regressed back to the frustrating player he was up to that point. Interesting that the most hands on manager we've had in a long time actually managed to improve him but you wonder if that 12 month spell of good form was just a good season rather actual progression.

I think the turmoil of high management turnover plus a lack of a director of football has probably seen him hang on to his Utd career a little longer than he should've.

In terms of where he could go. Everton is probably the best he could aim for as he wouldn't be going to a top 6 club but he should be good enough for the mid table clubs maybe a promoted club like Newcastle potentially being interested in him.

In terms of what Utd get for him he's an England international so we shouldn't be taking peanuts to a PL club in that middle tier he must be worth £10-15m at least.

A lot of people last season suggested he was greatly helped by having Blind next to him, and without him this season he has struggled. I think Bailly this season has even looked better next to Blind but he's also done well at times without Blind next to him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Smalling go, for years i've watched him and thought "he's young and will hopefully improve", at 27 now you expect more and someone that can be trusted. Injuries not helped him this season but injuries nothing new for him and it might be that we can't carry these players anymore. We need players we can rely on to be available, obviously injuries can happen to anyone but for some it happens more often.

I think Bailly & Jones both looked at their best when partnered with Rojo who was excellent at CB this season.

Smelling seems to bring the worst out in both of them as he brings panic as he's so nervous on the ball.

I think he's been given long enough, he's been a decent servant and if he wants to stay and fight I have no problem with that but I feel the club needs to move on from both him & Jones this summer. It was a good plan at the time but it just hasn't worked out and we can't keep hoping that a) they both stay injury free & b) cut out the mistakes that cost us goals.

Personally I'd keep Smalling and I'd let Jones go. I think he's a better player than Jones and he also isn't quite as injury prone as Jones.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think he may be on his way, he has never really pushed on. To be honest Tuanzebe looks like he has something about him and I think Jose will look to get in another defender too.

If someone offered £15-20m then Jose should snap their hand off.

I think he may be on his way, he has never really pushed on. To be honest Tuanzebe looks like he has something about him and I think Jose will look to get in another defender too.

If someone offered £15-20m then Jose should snap their hand off.

After getting the nod in the final and having a really really good game I think he's bought himself another year and it might be Jones that's moved on... Which would be the right move I think.

Not sure he was that great in the final and I think Jose knows better than judging players on one game.

Hopefully a decent final performance gets a few extra £ on his transfer fee.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back