United open contract talks with Michael Carrick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Not keen on the idea. He's been a great player for United, but time to move on, me thinks.

Manchester United open contract talks with Michael Carrick - sources

Manchester United have opened talks with Michael Carrick about extending his stay at Old Trafford, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC.

Carrick, set to celebrate his testimonial at the end of the season, is happy to stay and if he signs a deal until 2018 that could see him end his career at Old Trafford.

Happy for him to stay as backup for the new guy he's a reliable comfy pair of slippers that are there when you need them but they're not something you want to rely on every day

Not for me either but we have so little midfield options currently that maybe we can't afford to lose CM's. I'm surprised but fine as long as we buy in the position too. Think we need 2 mids regardless.

Well if he's finally going to get rid of the giant bog brush this summer (I doubt he will) I agree even if Carrick stays we probably need 2 more as we are short.

I'd give him another year. He's earned the right to go out on his terms and he's a solid back up to come in.

I'd give him another year. He's earned the right to go out on his terms and he's a solid back up to come in.

I concur. Experience counts for a lot and Carrick has abundance of it. He shouldn't be a number one starter but as a back up? There wouldn't be many better.

Has there been any further talk of contract extension for Carrick? I would only keep if there is a big turnaround of players.

The silence on talk of a new deal, he's not being linked to other clubs, plus the focus on his end of season testimonial to me suggests he's decided to retire at the end of the season.

He's started doing a bit of press to promote his testimonial and there doesn't seem to be any questions about next season in there.

I thnk it's probably the right time as well his powers are diminishing it's better to go out when you're still somewhere near your best rather than try and slug it out for one more year.

Would love the guy to stay another year. It would be good for United and for Jose. A born winner and someone who knows what's required to be a United player, in the dressing room. His influence will be felt more off the pitch as well as on it. Elite player mentality.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Given the amount of business that needs to be done if we have him around as backup next season I wouldn't be unhappy but he should only be playing 20-25 games.

If going to be involved in a coaching role, i'd expect his playing time in the first team to be limited to emergencies and league cup games where he's maybe playing alongside a lot of the players he's coaching in the reserves.

Yep. Assuming we are going for a 2 man midfield next season having him as the 5th choice would be good.

If he does stay and Rooney goes he's my choice for club captain even if he's not playing he's the man who sets the standards every day. He'd be longest serving player, won loads of trophies plus he's a brilliant professional.

I don't think in the modern game it's vital that your captain is on the pitch.

I think that last comment is a fair point, I'm not sure who has captained Chelsea with Terry not starting. I personally prefer the captain to be playing week in week out or you have your club captain like a Carrick and then have a playing captain who plays every week. I don't like how it's been passed around this season.

I think the captain sets the standards 24/7. The attitude in training and off the pitch needs to be spot on plus at Utd he needs to be able to speak on behalf of the club in front of sponsors and all that basically you want someone who sets a good example which is Carrick. I don't think players probably take much to the captains anymore that's all gone now as soon as players have a problem it's straight to the agents these days they wouldn't go to the captain if he wants a new contract or has a personal problem.

As for on the pitch you don't need 1 leader you need multiple leaders who know what to do and take responsibility, if someone's not doing their job it's not the captain who speaks up it's the person who notices that he isn't doing his job. I think the most important role for the captain on the pitch is managing the referee making sure that you keep him on your teams side as best you can.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back