Luka Modric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Modric to United?

The question here is will he score goals? He will definitely provide more goals than Carrick did last season. Carrick had just 1 assist last season, very poor in my opinion. If Modric provides the goals, will he need to score 10-15 a season? 5-10 will be enough in my opinion because he'll probably create 5+ goals. Modric can also play on either wing. Would keep a lot of people happy as it would be that "big" money signing people have been after since Ronaldo went.

Re: Modric to United?

Modric has signed a new 6 year deal with Spurs. End of.

35 million jeez. Think i would rather we go after Sanchez instead.

I'd like us to go for De Rossi at Roma. 27 years old, would be a good if not great short term option while we wait for the likes of Pogba and Morrison to develop.

While that might be true, he's also a very good player and if we're looking short term, he's got to be high on the list.

Think we might try Sneijder again this summer but Modric would have to be high on the list to replace Scholesy. Sanchez is a winger/striker and De Rossi is a defensive midfielder so they won't be considered as a replacement for Scholesy.
Chances are we might sign a defensive midfielder, a winger and a creative midfielder like Modric. If the Quataris take over then who knows! But being realistic the Glazers will probably be our owners this summer so we should prioritise and spend big on a world class creative player... Sneijder or Modric would certainly fit the bill, can't think of many others though

I wasn't talking about replacing Scholesy when talking about De Rossi, and I think he's got more about him than a DM/Holding Mid, likes to get forward a lot too, especially for Italy. More Box To Box from what i've seen.

Moussa Sissoko could be another option and more of a long term option than De Rossi.

Would love Modric or Sneijder but their price tags could be off putting, both only signed new contracts last summer.

Would De Rossi even want to leave Roma? I cant see him wanting to go, Roma runs through him.

Doubt he would, he's been there since a very young age. Was just stating that I thought he might be a good option if he was to become available. Don't think Sneijder wants to leave Inter either, more likely to leave though as he hasn't been there for his whole career. The reason I don't think Fergie will go for Sneijder though is that he won't work in a 2 man midfield, so unless Fergie's planning on going back to 4-2-3-1 it's unlikely we'll go for an AM, box to box midfielders are more likely to be bought. I'd love Sneijder though and i'd love if we went back to 4-2-3-1.

Yh Sneijder is a great player, its not going to be easy to get the right player in. I have high hopes for Cleverley.

With Roma's ownership problems leaving the club incredibly unstable and looking like they might not even make Europa League, a re-building job at Roma is likely during the summer, freeing up De Rossi to leave with excuses. He has the physicality to deal with the Premiership and can cover the pitch from box to box with ease. A great player who needs a move to a club like Utd. This transfer could only work out well for both player and club.

Interesting. Montella became manager of Roma today. Odd decision?

Would be great if we could get de Rossi in my opinion. Could do with a bit of aggression and bite in midfield.

Montella has only coached the U14's for Roma, he's an easy fix for them while their new buyer finishes the paperwork. Roma can't do much worse for the rest of the season. A stop gap until Ancelotti can come in in the summer. (crosses fingers)

Don't forget that the Spurs board were unwilling to sell Berbatov and Daniel Levy most certainly didn't want to let him go. What happened? Berba left.

Money talks whatever Spurs and Modric's agent say but it's up to Modric really if he wants Champions League football this season or if he's willing to wait.

Redknapp: "We are not selling Luka, Gareth, or Sandro. We are looking to build a team at Tottenham, not dismantle one."

Redknapp: "We are not selling Luka, Gareth, or Sandro. We are looking to build a team at Tottenham, not dismantle one."
Par for the course.

They were building a team with Berbatov in it before we bought him. Redknapp and Levy will make these noises about keeping Modric- to be expected really.

I dont know how much Modric would ask for in wages... guesswork

Yes, fair point. I would assume Sneijder's wages to be double that of Modric's.

English players cost more because of the Homegrown ruling that has come in, clubs are now looking for the best homegrown talent around, other clubs are taking advantage of this and hiking prices up for homegrown players. Probably why we've got Jones, we're in for Ashley Young and have kept Michael Owen.

I can't see it either. I also think we'll sign someone we've not been linked with constantly. De Rossi, Schweinsteiger etc.

And they tell us torres was ancelotti's signing ? Abramovic will have a spending spree on his favourite players before a new manager can have a say, not that a new manager would have much input anyway.... Joke of a club.

And they tell us torres was ancelotti's signing ? Abramovic will have a spending spree on his favourite players before a new manager can have a say, not that a new manager would have much input anyway.... Joke of a club.
Agreed. It's ridiculous.

I've said it on here more than once- Ambramovich buying players is not going to translate into a happy camp at Chelsea whoever their manager is. He did buy Torres and we can see that has turned into a disaster from day one.

An Ambramovich type ownership could happen to us if the Qater group takeover.

We will probably struggle when Fergie retires.

Without success the Glazers will sack a manager as they need success to keep the money coming in.

If the Qataris took over, they'd spend a lot of money and would require success also because they wouldn't so much and not expect something back.

Either of these owners being at the club would put a new manager under pressure. And both wouldn't be able to wait for a new manager to build a side for a few years without success like Fergie has had time to do so over the years.

What we don't want is a situation where the owners are bigger than the manager a la Chelsea and most other clubs nowadays for this I think the Glazers are probably the best owners, I believe they'd leave it to a manager.

Anyway...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/16/luca-modric-tottenham-manchester-united

Back on to Modric.

Do you guys think we've any chance of landing him?

City aren't interested in him according to Daniel Taylor of The Guardian so that's a good thing.

I think it's going to be very tough to get him with Redknapp and Levy so adamant on keeping him but then... Levy and Jol were the same in 06 with Carrick, so there's hope. Fergie's friends with 'arry too so that might help.

Try not to get too worried with the lack of us being linked with CM's, obviously something that is being taken seriously and will take time, replacing Scholes has got to be one of the hardest things in Football. Hopefully we can get our man in by the Pre-Season tour.

Spurs have to make all the usual noises.

We had the same thing with Berba- he was going nowhere. We could get Modric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back