Gary Neville: United don't play well enough as a team to win title

Sideshow Bob

Neville’s comments in the video are spot on. It’s pretty much the crux of the issue for me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We do lack cohesion as a team and sometimes we look like we’ve just been thrown together on the team bus.

We still rely heavily on individual brilliance, but I guess to a degree a lot of games are won on this brilliance by most sides. However if you look at City they play as a team for 90 mins and the individual brilliance will always come because of their quality.

Neville is absolutely spot on. Also his analogy that we are an odd bunch continues to be apt. We are a very strange team, one week we can be brilliant and produce a world class performance, then we have the performance against Villa. An odd bunch indeed!

It's not even game to game it happens in games for long periods we can look really poor/average then all of a sudden in 15 minutes we come alive and blow a team away. While that is all great fun it can't be sustainable as you eventually have periods where these 15 minute spells don't come which is how it's felt vs West Ham and Villa. There never felt like we had a period in those two games where the opponent is on the ropes and a goal is surely coming 30 shots in each game and I don't recall either teams keeper actually making anything other than a routine save.

They work hard for each other and have those sort of team aspects I think but in terms of organisation on the pitch they aren't anywhere near the top sides at the moment he's got to find a way of getting them into a team quickly.

We do lack cohesion as a team and sometimes we look like we’ve just been thrown together on the team bus.

We still rely heavily on individual brilliance, but I guess to a degree a lot of games are won on this brilliance by most sides. However if you look at City they play as a team for 90 mins and the individual brilliance will always come because of their quality.

Neville is absolutely spot on. Also his analogy that we are an odd bunch continues to be apt. We are a very strange team, one week we can be brilliant and produce a world class performance, then we have the performance against Villa. An odd bunch indeed!
How many world class performances have u seen this season?

They haven't really played as a team at any point for the last few years let's be honest. They've gotten by on individual brilliance mainly since Fernandes was signed. If you watch the other top teams they all look in control in most games. United don't in any game really. Even their impressive win over Leeds I wouldn't say they were in command the whole time. Leeds had chances.

I wish Gary especially, but Rio and Scholesy as well, would keep their thoughts on United to themselves at times. It doesn't help anybody.

I wish Gary especially, but Rio and Scholesy as well, would keep their thoughts on United to themselves at times. It doesn't help anybody.

They're paid to offer their opinion and it's vital they are honest about how they see it.

They've all given Ole plenty of support in the early days but now they have to start being as tough on him as they were on the other managers.

Gotta disagree comrade. They have a far more invested interest in MUFC than the rest of us. They've been out there and spilled blood, sweated and teared for the club we love.
They have far more right than anyone to let their feelings be known!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They're paid to offer their opinion and it's vital they are honest about how they see it.

They've all given Ole plenty of support in the early days but now they have to start being as tough on him as they were on the other managers.

Other Managers in Moyes, van Gaal et al, or Managers in general??

Gotta disagree comrade. They have a far more invested interest in MUFC than the rest of us. They've been out there and spilled blood, sweated and teared for the club we love.
They have far more right than anyone to let their feelings be known!

Be interesting if Twitter/24hr news had been around when they were first breaking into the team and some of the over top criticism players/Managers get now, if they'd be so keen to being so critical now if that had been the case.

There's enough out there in the ABU/Liverpool Mafia in the press to be critical of everything/anything United without guys who became very wealthy playing for the club and knowing how it is to be joining in.

Not saying they should all be saying everything is tickety-boo when it so obviously isn't, just tone the criticism down a bit, occasionally.

Other Managers in Moyes, van Gaal et al, or Managers in general??

Both they're pundits they're paid to offer their opinion on how things are going they're all very careful about calling for a managers head but they have to be critical when things aren't going well. The thing that often comes through more Scholes/Rio is their passion/bias from the club (I think Neville has learned to keep that under control) they hate watching Utd lose and look poor so when they are watching games that Utd are bad in they let it out.

They will probably go bigger on opinions about Utd than they would other clubs that they didn't play for equally they lavish them with praise when they are good it goes both ways with these guys.

If they're just going to say nice things when Utd are being rubbish then no one will want to listen to what they are saying anyway we want them to offer something we either don't know or can't see when we are watching the match.

Both they're pundits they're paid to offer their opinion on how things are going they're all very careful about calling for a managers head but they have to be critical when things aren't going well. The thing that often comes through more Scholes/Rio is their passion/bias from the club (I think Neville has learned to keep that under control) they hate watching Utd lose and look poor so when they are watching games that Utd are bad in they let it out.

They will probably go bigger on opinions about Utd than they would other clubs that they didn't play for equally they lavish them with praise when they are good it goes both ways with these guys.

If they're just going to say nice things when Utd are being rubbish then no one will want to listen to what they are saying anyway we want them to offer something we either don't know or can't see when we are watching the match.

To be honest I listen to very little pre/post match comments from the so called experts when it comes to United matches and it's easy to take comments out of context when it's flagged up later on the various forums/twitter, but at times it feels like oh ffs here we go again, almost as though they are protecting their legacy by suggesting things need to change and as we all know it's easier to change the Manager than a raft of players. For Ole with friends like Nev, Rio and Scholesy who needs enemies.

To be honest I listen to very little pre/post match comments from the so called experts when it comes to United matches and it's easy to take comments out of context when it's flagged up later on the various forums/twitter, but at times it feels like oh ffs here we go again, almost as though they are protecting their legacy by suggesting things need to change and as we all know it's easier to change the Manager than a raft of players. For Ole with friends like Nev, Rio and Scholesy who needs enemies.

So called experts with how many games and trophies between them? Who is more qualified to judge than those who’ve actually done it and know what it takes.

They’ve been very kind to him because of who he is but like the fans they now want to see results and performances that suggest we are title contenders.

So called experts with how many games and trophies between them? Who is more qualified to judge than those who’ve actually done it and know what it takes.

They’ve been very kind to him because of who he is but like the fans they now want to see results and performances that suggest we are title contenders.
Here here comrade

Between them they've suggested player A, C, E, G, H, J, N, Q and V aren't up to Manchester United standard, the Manager is a nice lad but out of his depth and tactically naïve yet expect us to be challenging for the Title, interesting. And we wonder why the fan base is divided.

Between them they've suggested player A, C, E, G, H, J, N, Q and V aren't up to Manchester United standard, the Manager is a nice lad but out of his depth and tactically naïve yet expect us to be challenging for the Title, interesting. And we wonder why the fan base is divided.
The fan base is not divided, yes it is, no it's not

I can't get on board that being a great player makes you an expert analyst. As evidence for this argument I'm going to put forward Michael Owen.

Paul Scholes is terrible.

I like Rio he's animated about everything. We are either gonna do the treble or get relegated he doesn't have any middle ground.

Also in the terrible, Jamie Redknapp, keown is awful, Murphy

Mind you, it would be easier for me to name the ones I do like.

I can't get on board that being a great player makes you an expert analyst. As evidence for this argument I'm going to put forward Michael Owen.

Paul Scholes is terrible.

I like Rio he's animated about everything. We are either gonna do the treble or get relegated he doesn't have any middle ground.

The point is what qualifies you to be an expert in this field when it's a game of opinions? These lads know the club and they know what it takes to win so I think you have to respect their opinion they aren't dealing in some sort of science it's a game of football. The only thing I'd say is these lads don't know what it's like to be in the club in the position it is now which is clawing back to the top they never fell this far as Utd players and had to make it back.

To be fair to Owen I caught his comments in the post game bits on BT and couldn't really argue with any of it he was an awful pundit when he started but I think he's got a lot better at it.

Rio is just like he was as a player heart on his sleeve he's super competitive I'd hate to be around him when he loses.

Also in the terrible, Jamie Redknapp, keown is awful, Murphy

Mind you, it would be easier for me to name the ones I do like.

How dare you mention these names alongside the Utd legends of Neville, Scholes and Rio.

I like them all when they say nice things about Utd and hate them all when they say mean and nasty things :)

The point is what qualifies you to be an expert in this field when it's a game of opinions? These lads know the club and they know what it takes to win so I think you have to respect their opinion they aren't dealing in some sort of science it's a game of football. The only thing I'd say is these lads don't know what it's like to be in the club in the position it is now which is clawing back to the top they never fell this far as Utd players and had to make it back.

To be fair to Owen I caught his comments in the post game bits on BT and couldn't really argue with any of it he was an awful pundit when he started but I think he's got a lot better at it.

Rio is just like he was as a player heart on his sleeve he's super competitive I'd hate to be around him when he loses.

I like Neville, Henry, Carragher who actually analyse the game and tactics. With Scholes it's more 'well we would have done better, this is rubbish' whereas Neville analyses where it's going wrong and what it is they aren't doing right.

I like Jenas who no one else seems to like.

Oh and Dublin.

Don't know if anyone listens to R5, but if you want an anti united pundit look no further than Chris Sutton.

I like Neville, Henry, Carragher who actually analyse the game and tactics. With Scholes it's more 'well we would have done better, this is rubbish' whereas Neville analyses where it's going wrong and what it is they aren't doing right.

Think you need a bit of a balance on your punditry team you need people that bounce off each other.

Those 3 are great at what they do but I don't think you want every pundit to be like that and it works well on Monday Night Football because they have a day to prepare it all. Doing the stuff straight after the game you can't really go into that level of detail as you don't have the time to pull together all the stats, graphics and clips to get your point across.

Scholes isn't the best but he's not wrong in a lot of what he says he's just miserable he's probably getting a bit fed up of watching Utd in European matches on BT Sport as they're normally pretty dull games that we struggle in.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back