Jesse Lingard | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
I know it was an England game but watching him yesterday in the games where Bruno is injured/banned/rested this season I think he'll be the go to number 10 ahead of Donny.

I think Pogba will get the more advanced central role if Bruno is out.

It's tricky with Pogba his best stuff has been in this new position they've made for him on the left I think that's basically where he plays now but it's going to be tough fitting everyone in and keeping everyone happy.

I just think league cup games surely Lingard will start as the number 10 with Bruno having a rest.

I guess that's probably why Ole wanted to keep Lingard at United? He's a player who's capable of producing and is a solid option for the team. Those are absolutely the kind of squad players you need to compete on all fronts

Turned down contract offer, can leave for free next summer

Think it makes sense for everyone to review it in January and see where things are.

If he’s not playing try and sell him and wish him all the best if he is getting regular games and doing well offer him a new deal that hopefully he signs.

A new contract now could be bad news for everyone if he’s only playing 10 games a season on good wages for the next 4 years.

Personally I think the club should have told him to go in the summer and pushed him out but they decided to keep him so deserves a chance to perform

he wont leave in Jan when he will be able to command better wages 4 months later

Lingard I think know he needs to get back to playing regularly yes there's obviously a financial incentive to run down his deal but if he signs and doesn't play he's stuck at a club that will price him out of moves.

Utd don't exactly have money invested in him he was an academy player so if we can only get £10m for him in January because he's 6 months from being a free then so be it.

Lingard will want to be in next year's world cup squad so if he's not regularly playing come January (he won't be) he'll be off. He'll be 29 at next years would cup and his last chance to play in one.

Exactly he knows he lost 2 years of his career in his prime because he went off the rails a bit now he's back to his best and wants to play football and I don't think he's money mad either. He really didn't capitalise on that world cup in 2018 he even refers to this being Lingard version 2.0 he's admitted he got a bit lost as a person made a few mistakes and didn't react well to off field problems but that's behind him now.

That World Cup has to be his target he's on the fringes of the England squad but there's loads of competition for his place in that squad. He pushed for the loan move last January when the club wanted to stay my guess is if he's not playing enough he will push to go again this January.

However, I think he feels he can still prove himself as good enough to be a Utd player.

Great goal on Saturday.

I think this is his role in the squad coming on in games for Bruno or starting when he needs to be rested I don't think he can play wide he needs to be central and he's a very clever player who's always been a great finisher.

Glad he got a goal in front of the home fans I imagine he was buzzing.

Young Boys 2-1 Man Utd

What a difference a few days makes.

Did ok when he came on but cost us a point at the end with an absolute howler.

Think the pass backwards was the correct decision just horrible execution gifted their striker a goal.

He will be gutted and it will be a test of his mental toughness how he responds to this set back after getting his career back on track.

I actually have a soft spot for Lingard, and would love to see another academy graduate come good, but he just can't seem to help himself. We should save him for times when we're comfortably ahead so he can add some gloss and pad his stats, or Wembley which he seems to own. When we're chasing the game, he's the wrong choice.

Also, wonder why Greenwood didn't come on instead?

He’s had a few niggling injuries you wonder if the pitch was a concern the whole squad was on the bench so it might be a case that he was named as a sub but he was never getting on.

Premier League: West Ham United 1-2 Manchester United - 19th September 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great to see him bounce back like that.

Won us the game today and hopefully everyone moves on from midweek.

I actually have a soft spot for Lingard, and would love to see another academy graduate come good, but he just can't seem to help himself. We should save him for times when we're comfortably ahead so he can add some gloss and pad his stats, or Wembley which he seems to own. When we're chasing the game, he's the wrong choice.
Well, this aged well. Couldn't be happier to be proven wrong so quickly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Absolutely chuffed for him. Quality finish.

He has those little moments of sheer class that make him invaluable for the squad in my opinion. He just needed that little bit of confidence back in his game.

He never goes missing on the big stage. Scored a lot of big goals

Champions League: Man United 1-1 Young Boys

Really looked like he couldn’t be arsed tonight. I know it was a disjointed performance all round with all the changes but he was truly awful.

Don’t think Ralf will be giving him too many more chances based on tonight.

Was a totally different position to what he normally would play centre mid alongside Mata.

He struggled but he's barely been playing so isn't going to look sharp.

He should be out the door in January if he's not signing a new contract get him out the door.

Got a rare start think they said his first league start for 2 years yesterday.

Struggled to get into the game playing out of position put a shift in but was done on 60 minutes and rightfully subbed.

Yep what are we thinking even putting him in squads? He clearly doesn’t want to be there, I would rather we had put Mata on or the kid Hannibal. Yes it was a hiding to nothing in the end but Lingard couldn’t be less interested when you see him waiting to come on.

He should not have been allowed to stay in the summer should have been shipped out.

Squad is down to the bones but at least he can be arsed to show up seems like a few others can’t be.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back