The Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly if I was drinking as normal it wouldn't just be on a Friday. However as mentioned before I've not been drinking properly since November. Hence being awake at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.

Maybe do your digging a bit further than Wikipedia. It's a term that many find offensive and there are many other words you could use but you knew you'd go with one to push the boundaries. It's typical shoot behaviour.
Maybe you could suggest what you consider to be a suitable word then instead of just shooting. All you are doing is trying to suppress free speech.

Anyhow, the question I think should be asked in the Census is: Are you or is anybody else in your household a Goth?

Oh here we go. As usual it's Friday night and the head honcho's lackey's lackey has a had a shandy and gets his head of high authority on, talking about banning and the like..
You, @jsp and @SuperRash are all talking out your diherria hi ho's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the term I used. it is offensive to no one.
Have a read

I respectfully suggest you put a tad more lemonade in yer shandy and stop being a drama queen. People are tree's indeed! yer talking out your ash.
I don’t believe I had one comment on the subject. Although the term is offensive and out dated - do you still use AOL by any chance or write letters on a type writer?

I don’t believe I had one comment on the subject. Although the term is offensive and out dated - do you still use AOL by any chance or write letters on a type writer?
You didnt but your liking of IDFD's post spoke volume's.
If you were to read the link I sent to IDFD you would see that it was actually used as a form of social activism by said people. It was how they self identified, so I dont know why you are banging on about it at all. Especially when you choose not to offer up what you consider to be an acceptable description.

It is a phrase that is now regularly used to cause offence I would imagine very few transgender people would identify themselves as Gender Bender. So by that logic non trans people shouldn’t use that phrase to identify them.

Yes we have rights to free speech but we also have a responsibility to use that right sensibly I know the phrase can also have a different more positive meaning dating back to its origins but in the current day it is used generally as an insult which is why people will react to it being used.

No doubt you carried out an extensive search to find a single source to back up your argument and the source you found and have used has no right of such interpretation.
I would suggest you search all reliable sources such a the Oxford or Cambridge dictionaries and you will find nothing to suggest the term is offensive.

I googled is it offensive then scrolled past all the reddit bits and that popped up pretty much agreed with how I understand that phrase. I’m aware of what other sources say about it’s literal meaning but I’m also aware of how it is used.

In my life I’ve never heard that phrase used in a positive way I’ve only heard it used as an insult.

We also know the word gay or lesbian can have different meanings depending on how it’s used.

You didnt but your liking of IDFD's post spoke volume's.
If you were to read the link I sent to IDFD you would see that it was actually used as a form of social activism by said people. It was how they self identified, so I dont know why you are banging on about it at all. Especially when you choose not to offer up what you consider to be an acceptable description.
You get very tetchy quite easily.

I dont feel particularly tetchy. I am just making the point the comment I made was not meant to be offensive and I have never considered it offensive.
Its just a phrase that used to be widely used, its not something you would go around calling people. I think some of you have taken political correctness to a different level. It does please me though that my multi cultural colleagues tend to agree and still have room for some banter in their lives.

That's ageism you just displayed. which is both discriminatory and insulting. I had to tell @IDFD about this recently as well. Talk about pot calling kettle black!
However I am not easily offended and take your comments in the jest I am sure it was meant.

That's ageism you just displayed. which is both discriminatory and insulting. I had to tell @IDFD about this recently as well. Talk about pot calling kettle black!
However I am not easily offended and take your comments in the jest I am sure it was meant.
No. It was a direct correlation between your outdated comments and examples of fellow outdated things.

Well done Boris. You said you wouldnt stand for this ESL nonsense and i suspect your words resounded and helped the cause.

Labour really are finished aren't they.

The Tories are coasting to big wins in the local elections and have taken Hartlepool in a by election.

The Tories apparently picking up votes because of vaccinations and things opening up again cruising in the opinion polls despite all the deaths and scandals of the last 12 months. The opposition should be absolutely cashing in but they just can't seem to get a clear message out to the people.

The SNP have destroyed them in Scotland and Brexit has lost them loads of votes from their traditional support areas in England.

Starmer hasn't had it easy and he shouldn't go yet but he needs to start making a real dent in the Tories in the next few months if they want to close that gap at the next election.

Could be a big win for governments off the back of the G7 meeting a joint approach to tackling big corporations not paying their fair share of corporation tax.

A minimum level of 15% but for big international companies with large profit margins a new system that will force you to pay taxes based on where sales are made not where profits are booked.

Could be a big win for governments off the back of the G7 meeting a joint approach to tackling big corporations not paying their fair share of corporation tax.

A minimum level of 15% but for big international companies with large profit margins a new system that will force you to pay taxes based on where sales are made not where profits are booked.
Good news

How out of touch can you get. Nothing better to spend tax payers money on or putting your energy working towards at the moment?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The comments section is a glorious read.

More lies from Boris as he lied about government spending on PPE all being revealed already back in February.

It really is rampant and I'm sure the other parties are at it to.

Make a donation get a reward

Same reason the Tories lost their seat in Cheshunt recently they threw their own voters under the bus because developers want an easier planning policy so they can boost the value of land in their land banks. So they make big donations to the Tory party who in turn have announced plans to restrict the ability of residents to lodge appeals over planning applications which will open up the green belt.

It really is rampant and I'm sure the other parties are at it to.

Make a donation get a reward

Same reason the Tories lost their seat in Cheshunt recently they threw their own voters under the bus because developers want an easier planning policy so they can boost the value of land in their land banks. So they make big donations to the Tory party who in turn have announced plans to restrict the ability of residents to lodge appeals over planning applications which will open up the green belt.
They are all the same mate unfortunately someone has to govern

I know you don't like my opinion.

But one question. How long do we ignore their indescretions for and keep using the excuse they're all the same for?

You have no idea if they're all the same. No other party has been involved to feck it up this much in the last 10+ years and not a single party including those in power are the same party they were then. It's bury your head stuff and accept they're rubbish but pretend they're better than the others.

'They're all the same the same' - It's a very weak excuse.

Matt Hancock now in the papers for getting caught kissing one of his aides in his offices during the pandemic.

Both of them are married.

They’re morally corrupt the lot of them.

In the past he'd probably be forced to resign but let's see how this lot wriggle out of that one.

I wouldn't put it past Boris that he leaked this, an excuse to get rid of him.

He’s said sorry and the show goes on.

Boris can’t really take the moral high ground on this one can he. He was caught banging one of his advisors when he was Mayor of London flying her around the world with him behind his wife’s back.

It’s worse than that as this happens at a time where a lot of restrictions were in place hospitals struggling and the big boss is necking his bit on the side at work.

He’s said sorry and the show goes on.

Boris can’t really take the moral high ground on this one can he. He was caught banging one of his advisors when he was Mayor of London flying her around the world with him behind his wife’s back.

It’s worse than that as this happens at a time where a lot of restrictions were in place hospitals struggling and the big boss is necking his bit on the side at work.
I agree Hancock should be booted

I know you don't like my opinion.

But one question. How long do we ignore their indescretions for and keep using the excuse they're all the same for?

You have no idea if they're all the same. No other party has been involved to feck it up this much in the last 10+ years and not a single party including those in power are the same party they were then. It's bury your head stuff and accept they're rubbish but pretend they're better than the others.

I don't mind debate but you need to have an open mind and not get bogged down in political dogma for the sake of it I have lived through successive Labour and Tory Governments They really are all the same. I was brought up Labour and remember how they made us the sick man of Europe then fecking Thatcher then Labour again Tony Blair came along ( I voted for him) Blair is basically a War Criminal ( I have lost friends due to that War) Then Ed Milband became Labour leader FFS and that was a slippery slope that lead to Comrade Corbyn an IRA supporting nutjob so I voted Tory not because I am a Tory but because the alternative of Corbyn was unthinkable. So yes they are all the same. Labour need to sort their shit out big time to win back the working class. Momentum need booting and a decent leader put in place. Scouse Andy would be a good choice

Have this iteration of the labour party ever been in charge or are you making assumptions they'd be lying, cheating, bumbling idiots and supporting the conservatives inspite of the fact they're proven lying, cheating bumbling idiots?

Have this iteration of the labour party ever been in charge or are you making assumptions they'd be lying, cheating, bumbling idiots and supporting the conservatives inspite of the fact they're proven lying, cheating bumbling idiots?
Have you listened to a word I have said ?

Yes. You keep saying that labour are the same. But you can't keep saying these people are the same when the only people in power the last last decade plus and taken us backwards in that time are the conservatives and you've no idea what THIS labour government are like. You just keep slandering them with no proof. Whereas we have proof that this conservative government are liars, inept and don't deserve to stay in power because they've let us down time and time again.

Yes. You keep saying that labour are the same. But you can't keep saying these people are the same when the only people in power the last last decade plus and taken us backwards in that time are the conservatives and you've no idea what THIS labour government are like. You just keep slandering them with no proof. Whereas we have proof that this conservative government are liars, inept and don't deserve to stay in power because they've let us down time and time again.
I answered your statement below in some detail

And you never read my answer

So just jog on future discussion is absolutely pointless

I read it. You didn't answer it at all. You said you saw Blair. What 16 years ago? He isn't a part of this iteration of the labour government and the idea they're the same is nonsense we've never seen a government treat their nation with such contempt as this one, you just choose to ignore all of their short comings. Do you really think they handled the covid crises well? Do you really think handing out contracts to friends was the right way to do things? You don't answer questions you just fire back silly personal insults straight from the Boris schooling of handling things. As I asked previously, how can you say they're all the same when you've never seen Kier behave in such a poor way? You're making a wild sweeping judgement that he may be the same in the future. But we've never seen this level of ineptitude from anyone before prior to Boris. He's out of his depth. At least when others were making mistakes they were doing it because they thought they were doing what was right he's just a shambles.

This is a complete failure of governance and it's embarrassing that anyone would try to defend it.

And i'm sorry for hear about your friends that died in a pointless war with Iraq. Blair made his bed and chose America has his ally and with that we had to follow them. But what I would say is Brexit is a major continuation of that. We think we're better off out of Europe because we have stronger ally's elsewhere.

Big win for labour last night held a seat by a narrow margin in the end but had they lost this seat would have created more issues for Kier Starmer who you feel now really needs to start nailing home the failures of this government over the last 12 months and making some of it stick.

He's already nailed Johnson in PMQ's today over his handling of the Matt Hancock resignation he now really needs to dig into the way these government contracts were dished out and the way our government prolonged lockdowns by failing to act quickly not only back in March last year but again in the autumn/winter with the new variant and again this spring with the Indian variant.

The big sticking point for Starmer will be Brexit he didn't support it but the governement have made a mess of it and it's going to be very hard for him to win brexiteers round to the idea that the Tories delivered us a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back