Euro 2021 Group D: England vs Scotland

SuperRash

Friday night 8pm.

Thought we needed a proper thread for this game. Do you think Southgate will make many changes? Sounds like Maguire is going to be fit and ready to play so you assume he’ll come in for Mings. Think Shaw or Chilwell may come in for Trippier, although saying that I think I would prefer Trippier to Walker at right back.

Other than that not sure there will be many changes. Get this one won and then in the last group match you can make a couple of changes if needed. Rashford for Foden could be the other change if I was hazarding a guess.

Overall I think we should have more than enough to beat them but you never know. Could be a good game though.

Obviously this assumes Maguire is 100% fit.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Phillips Rice Mount

Foden Kane Sterling

Just don't really see a good reason to change the midfield and attack thought that worked well against Croatia the only reason for changing the defence is if Maguire and the left backs are now fully fit.

The scots play a back 3 so he might think about matching up that system but not sure it makes much sense for us to do that. They obviously look to attack down the left side where they're strong so I think he'll have Phillips lingering over that side to help Walker make sure we don't get caught by the likes of Robertson.

The challenge here is to play the game and not the occasion everyone talking like the Scots will be bang up for this well the English lads should be too they shouldn't want Scotland coming down to their pitch and embarrasing them.

Match their aggression and intensity then let your extra quality shine through would be my message and if it is tight we've got so much fire power to throw on to that pitch against tired legs.

Dreadful half for England. Sterling has had an absolute stinker - how many times can one player mis control the ball?

Needs to be a couple of changes. He won’t be subbed at HT but Kane looks as slow as a corpse out there. Need some energy in there - one of Grealish, Sancho or Rashford needs to come on at HT at the very minimum.

This is the first time as an England fan where I can say without doubt, players are good enough, coach isn't

Well that was pitiful.

Not sure how Sterling stayed on the pitch towards the end - Sancho was worth a go surely?

Scotland fought well to the end though but that performance from England was so lethargic and with little imagination.

Never going to win anything with Southgate, got the players, they need to appoint the right manager

Never going to win anything with Southgate, got the players, they need to appoint the right manager
He is very defensive but it’s not all on him, the performances of some of his players were awful tonight.

There is a few things I have seen tonight and one is that Rice isn’t all that. He is very good on a defensive side of things but when he’s in a team who is chasing the game then I don’t think he’s got enough quality in terms of passing and that little bit of creativity. We criticise Fred but I’d rather have him in our side than Rice.

The England central midfield is a lot like ours really, Ole and Southgate both select two defensive midfielders for the most part and is it really needed? I think we should play one of Rice or Phillips, not both. I think Southgate may go back to experience in the next game and play Henderson. Also fully expect Maguire to come back in. Sterling needs to be dropped for either Sancho or Rashford as well.

I'll be honest... That was garbage.

Scotland are an OK team. They aren't good but they are OK but England were atrocious. No pace, no movement, no creativity.

I don't know what people see in Mount. Hard working player but not very good. Rice looks OK to me but definitely not world class. Kane looks off the pace.

He is very defensive but it’s not all on him, the performances of some of his players were awful tonight.

There is a few things I have seen tonight and one is that Rice isn’t all that. He is very good on a defensive side of things but when he’s in a team who is chasing the game then I don’t think he’s got enough quality in terms of passing and that little bit of creativity. We criticise Fred but I’d rather have him in our side than Rice.

The England central midfield is a lot like ours really, Ole and Southgate both select two defensive midfielders for the most part and is it really needed? I think we should play one of Rice or Phillips, not both. I think Southgate may go back to experience in the next game and play Henderson. Also fully expect Maguire to come back in. Sterling needs to be dropped for either Sancho or Rashford as well.
Funny because I said the same thing about Rice to my son during the second half. Not good enough for United. Philips on the other hand has raised my eyebrows for sure.

it’s not even solely down to Rice and Philips though. Southgate could play them with Rashford/Foden, Grealish and Sancho behind Kane and it’s be better than what we’ve seen for the first two games. With the players at his disposal, two out of 5 subs is inexcusable. Playing the same side against Croatia and Scotland, two very different sides, isn’t ok either unless Southgate is playing his strongest lineup and forcing the opposition to adapt to him, which he isn’t. Sterling and Mount have to be dropped. I’d probably drop Rice too and go for some combo of Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Sancho and possibly Calvert-Lewin for Kane.

I'd also start Rashford
Also, Kane is looking very far from a 150m player

I'll be honest... That was garbage.

Scotland are an OK team. They aren't good but they are OK but England were atrocious. No pace, no movement, no creativity.

I don't know what people see in Mount. Hard working player but not very good. Rice looks OK to me but definitely not world class. Kane looks off the pace.
Harsh on Mount, I thought he was one of the few players who looked like he could make things happen. He put a couple of lovely balls over the top but Sterling and Foden were either offside or mis controlled the ball. I think he is a good player who still has plenty of potential to grow.

Was just an awful performance all round really. Thought Shaw did well though and offered a different outlet than what Trippier did against Croatia. If he gets dropped for Trippier against the Czechs though, then I give up with Gareth.

Also to not even give Sancho a go is laughable really. I know he hasn’t really shown up in an England shirt as of yet but he is one of our most creative and talented players. Towards the back end of the season for Dortmund he was tearing it up - albeit after a poor start. So he’s in form but Southgate clearly doesn’t fancy him. I’ve said it before but how Sterling stayed on I’ll never know.

Also no male adult should be bleaching their hair bright blonde. Facepalm at Foden.

Harsh on Mount, I thought he was one of the few players who looked like he could make things happen. He put a couple of lovely balls over the top but Sterling and Foden were either offside or mis controlled the ball. I think he is a good player who still has plenty of potential to grow.
Harsh perhaps but I just don't see it. He stayed on yet Foden came off? When Foden looks to try to make things happen? Sure Mount had those 2 good passes but mostly he just looks slow and uncreative.

Was just an awful performance all round really. Thought Shaw did well though and offered a different outlet than what Trippier did against Croatia. If he gets dropped for Trippier against the Czechs though, then I give up with Gareth.

Also to not even give Sancho a go is laughable really. I know he hasn’t really shown up in an England shirt as of yet but he is one of our most creative and talented players. Towards the back end of the season for Dortmund he was tearing it up - albeit after a poor start. So he’s in form but Southgate clearly doesn’t fancy him. I’ve said it before but how Sterling stayed on I’ll never know.

Also no male adult should be bleaching their hair bright blonde. Facepalm at Foden.
Let's be fair to Mount. Great player but I just reckon he met his match

The Sancho thing is baffling to me. We've got one of the best strikers in the world on club form, and he's playing everywhere but in the CF position because he can't get any service anywhere near the box. Sancho tore it up toward the end of the season playing with a very similar player in Haaland. Surely the two of them can link up and repeat the trick for England.

It seems like Southgate is building the side around Foden and Mount and has gone away from the strengths of his squad. Namely, a beast of a CF, pace on the wings and creativity in the middle. Also, his post match comments wound me up, talking about being cautious in the last 15 min and managing the tournament, not the occasion. The fans weren't booing because of the last 15 min. The previous 75 had a lot to do with it as well. Unless he's pulling some boss level rope-a-dope stuff and has this lethal attacking lineup in his back pocket for the knockout games, he is way too cautious and scared for us to do well.

Thought England were poor on the night made a decent start and Stones should have buried that header if he had the game probably goes another way but by the end England were hanging on for the point as Scotland were better second half.

A point still leaves us in a strong position to go through but it will be interesting to see if Southgate now makes the changes.

Will he bring his experienced players back in Maguire and Henderson are surely going to play the next one does he also put Walker back in.

He faces another big decision over Kane he’s really off his game and has been in both games but he is so good do you just stick with him? I think he has to start him and hope he comes good.

The point is also good for Scotland means a win in their final game puts them through both teams need the win so that final game could be a cracker.

I think he needs to change it up and give the others a chance because this lot hasn't performed

Sancho, Rashford, Grealish, Henderson, and even DCL should start

I don’t know they certainly had an off night the ball moved around so slowly and none of the creative players really came to the party to much turning back rather than trying to go for the opponent.

They weren’t exactly free flowing in the first game either it looks like a new team rather than a settled one as let’s be honest 12 months ago how many of these players would even be in the squad let alone starting.

I think it needs a freshen up you have to assume Maguire will be in for Mings who I think has done ok but Maguire gives you quicker passing out the back. In midfield I’d probably leave it give them another chance as they did play well in that first game. Up top I think he has got the right players they’re just not performing so maybe he needs to change it up for this one and start Grealish and Sancho instead of Sterling and Foden.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back