Europa League 2020/21: Roma vs Man Utd Thu 6th May 20:00 KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Utd take their impressive 6-2 lead over to Rome having had a surprise weekend off from football due to the protests.

So the question becomes just how many changes does Ole risk making?

Does he rest players who never rest like Maguire or AWB?

I think he's got to start a reasonably strong side then use his 5 subs to try and make sure the key guys don't do more than an hour.

DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Telles

Matic Fred

James VDB Pogba

Greenwood

It will be interesting to see if any of the off field stuff has affected them

I don't think it will impact them one bit they're top pro's they block out all sorts of stuff to focus on a game of football and they know this anger isn't aimed at them it's aimed at the board.

From some reports a group of the players actually wanted to go and speak to the protesters but were told by club officials to stay in the hotel.

The fact it's an away game probably helps as it's unlikely to be interrupted it'll be the usual build up for them.

For what it’s worth, it’s 6th May, but whatever. Don’t know where else to post this but, what’s the best scenario to finish the season? I ask bc the very real possibility exists as follows:

City: League and League Cup
Chelsea: CL, but finishing 5th and Liverpool getting 4th.
Leicester: FA Cup
Arsenal: Europa League
United: Second and SFA for the cabinet.

For me it’s probably City winning the CL, Leicester winning the FA Cup, United winning the EL and Chelsea winning SFA with West Ham getting 4th.

Second and a cup final is still progress from where we were but yeah if we make a final vs Arsenal or Villareal you'd be pretty annoyed if we lost it given the quality of the opposition.

I try not to focus on what other clubs do and we all know that trophies won post pandemic don't count until the grounds are full again :p

Sounds like a few of the youngsters made the trip over to Rome for tonights game I doubt they will start the match but hopefully a few can get a run out towards the end.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don’t adjust your eyes, that is VDB starting! Can only assume he’s going to start in the middle alongside Fred and Pogba out on the left? In any case really strong line up and designed to get this job done early.

Second and a cup final is still progress from where we were but yeah if we make a final vs Arsenal or Villareal you'd be pretty annoyed if we lost it given the quality of the opposition.

I try not to focus on what other clubs do and we all know that trophies won post pandemic don't count until the grounds are full again :p

Sounds like a few of the youngsters made the trip over to Rome for tonights game I doubt they will start the match but hopefully a few can get a run out towards the end.
It's still progress, but a month ago we were talking about finishing second, within single digits of City, and a European Final as cementing our status as the second best side in England. While obviously not a trophy, it seemed like that progress was a lot more tangible.

Now, I don't know if we could say we were the second best side in the league if Chelsea win the CL and or we don't win the EL.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don’t adjust your eyes, that is VDB starting! Can only assume he’s going to start in the middle alongside Fred and Pogba out on the left? In any case really strong line up and designed to get this job done early.

More attacking than I thought we'd go. Nice to see Rashford on the bench. Hopefully he stays there.

It's still progress, but a month ago we were talking about finishing second, within single digits of City, and a European Final as cementing our status as the second best side in England. While obviously not a trophy, it seemed like that progress was a lot more tangible.

Now, I don't know if we could say we were the second best side in the league if Chelsea win the CL and or we don't win the EL.

To me it’s about what we do not what they do.

We have 67 points with 5 to play last 2 seasons we’ve finished on 66 points so hopefully we can put a few more on the board and finish second with an improved total to me that’s progress. That sets the bar for next season say we get 75 points the next season he needs to try and add 10 more if we can get to 85 we are in a title race.

What is really gutting is looking at the CL we could have made some good progress had we got through that group. The rest of Europe is really weak at the moment Bayern & PSG are the only two half decent sides but they along with the rest are very beatable.

Getting a trophy is important though but next season we need to be getting out of the CL group and being competitive no matter who we go up against.

Interested to see how he lines them up could be 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 diamond

I expect it will be the usual 4-2-3-1

Good chance for VDB surprised no Matic

Awful start lucky not to be behind.

Looks like it is a diamond again no one really seems to know where they are supposed to be.

Pitch looks drenched assume it’s hammered it down before kick off.

0-1 Cavani

Been a very open game loads of chances for both teams.

DeGea has been key to this scoreline being in our favor. Our defense letting them get shots away, marking too loosely, DeGea coming up with some great reflex saves. I still prefer him over Henderson by a huge amount.

Bailly being very Bailly-esque: comfortable with the ball at his feet, likes to trick those trying to get it off him, reckless as feck. That fould early on where he basically threw himself into a challenge and knocked Mkhitaryan in the face with his shoulder is emblematic of his overall approach.

Cavani's goal was really well hit and well worked.

VDB has been involved in a couple good attacks, but he and Fred both have been peripheral. Would like to see them working the ball to Greenwood and VDB.

After our opening yips we look very comfortable. We haven't moved out of 2nd gear. Ole should ring the changes at half time, there's no hope of Roma coming back from this.

To me it’s about what we do not what they do.

We have 67 points with 5 to play last 2 seasons we’ve finished on 66 points so hopefully we can put a few more on the board and finish second with an improved total to me that’s progress. That sets the bar for next season say we get 75 points the next season he needs to try and add 10 more if we can get to 85 we are in a title race.

What is really gutting is looking at the CL we could have made some good progress had we got through that group. The rest of Europe is really weak at the moment Bayern & PSG are the only two half decent sides but they along with the rest are very beatable.

Getting a trophy is important though but next season we need to be getting out of the CL group and being competitive no matter who we go up against.
Winning this EL is obviously the highest priority, and if we do that then it doesn't much matter what happens elsewhere, although I would say that if Chelsea win the CL they've had a better season than us.

I'd be more concerned with league position and points off first than total number of points. Next season has to see us challenge for the league into May, even if we don't win it.

DdG has been much too busy, but to his credit, he's done well. Cavani is a monster. VdB needs to do more in the second half.

Totally erratic game. Could be about 5 all. Better take AWB off, prevent a 2nd yellow. Looks like DvDB is playing himself out of wearing the shirt ever again

Been quite impressed by Pellegrini for them in both games.

Cavani just showing his quality

Telles is just not very good. As bad as Shaw was, Telles is much worse.

Enjoyed seeing Cavani inserting himself into the conversation between Greenwood and whoever the Roma player was. If only we had enticed Cavani 5 years ago.

The play acting from Roma is insane. Williams just got booked for a fair tackle. The slightest touch and Roma goes down like they've been poleaxed.

Through to the final was the main prize, well done reds, but someone wrap Cavani up in cotton wool coz Rashford, Greenwood + Martial together would not make a number 9

WTAF was that second half? Thank the old gods and the new for Cavani and DdG. If I've ever said anything bad about Shaw or AWB I sincerely apologize. Williams and Telles were all over the shop and but for Cavani and DdG we'd have been in real trouble.

Bloody woeful. Beaten by a 2nd rate outfit, who were missing half their 1st team players. If it hadn't been for 4,5,6 top class saves from our keeper, we could have been out of this tournament. Comparing with ECL semis, well, let's not!

After nearly a year in lockdown - yes I am
LOL. To be fair there’s probably a lot that could be dissected in that performance but I’m sure the 4 goal cushion had a lot to do with it. Leave Shaw/AWB on and the second half is very different. All we needed to do was get through and we’ve done that. Nothing worth getting bent out of shape over.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back