Protest at OT - May 2nd

I've been toying with the idea but not sure I'll be able to get there and back.

Hearing could be as many as 10,000 who show up.

Haven't heard if their will be Liverpool fans in attendance as there was talk early doors of a joint protest.

I haven't heard that much noise regarding it being a joint protest, but you will always get a few exceptions.

You based far away then @jsp ?

I think when it first started there was talk of some sort of joint protest between the two sets of fans but with it being match day that might not be the best idea only takes one knobhead.

I'm near Milton Keynes

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fair play to them hopefully it stay peaceful and the message is heard loud and clear.

Another group of fans have blocked roads around the team hotel.

I’d say there’s a chance this game is called off.

Utd still at the Lowry hotel.

1 hour until kick off and the team hasn’t even reach the ground yet still fans inside the ground.

Scenes outside the Lowry from earlier:

The polite protests never work. I was looking forward to this match but embarrassing the Glazers is worth the delay. I've had an extended conversation this morning (still morning here) with a Man City fan who just doesn't get why the protests were called. When do we decide it's too much, when the Saudis buy United? People have been protesting since the Glazers took over and it has done nothing. I'm not surprised it's come to this. I don't condone violence against people but I'm all for civil disobedience that destroys property and directly impacts those whose attention you're trying to get.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is helping the team, fixture pile up with a potential final.

The Glazers won't care, and if they did decide to sell, we won't be signing anyone this summer.

There is nobody with the money to buy the club

Think this was necessary to be honest fans have tried to be peaceful this was the time to be more disruptive I hope nobody has been hurt but getting the biggest game on the calendar called off sends a serious message.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is helping the team, fixture pile up with a potential final.

The Glazers won't care, and if they did decide to sell, we won't be signing anyone this summer.

There is nobody with the money to buy the club
The Saudis are always sniffing around, plus I'm sure there are a few more oil monarchies looking to launder their money.

The Saudis are always sniffing around, plus I'm sure there are a few more oil monarchies looking to launder their money.

I hope the fans would see them off to this is about getting the fans a voice in the running of the club.

Float the club and this time let the fans get a proper controlling stake that stops 1 person ever owning the club again.

This achieved nothing, the Glazers aren't going to sell. They don't care about protests, they survived the last lot. The only way to out them is to get a consortium to offer them stupid money.
I don't want Saudi's.

All this has done is condense our fixture list

There was no need to break in and get the match postponed, I know it creates media coverage, but it won't effect the end game, those glazer hillbillies won't care

Although someone who was there speaking on R5 said the doors they got in through opened outwards, so someone on the inside must have opened them

I hope the fans would see them off to this is about getting the fans a voice in the running of the club.

Float the club and this time let the fans get a proper controlling stake that stops 1 person ever owning the club again.
They also spoke about this on the radio, the club is worth something like 3-4 billion on the stock market, so fans need to find 1.5 billion to get 50%

They also spoke about this on the radio, the club is worth something like 3-4 billion on the stock market, so fans need to find 1.5 billion to get 50%

Not saying it will be easy and you don’t need 50% you just need enough to block a total takeover ever happening.

Can’t remember what the threshold is but it’s higher than 50%

As you said these fans were organised someone was on the inside and opened the door it seems like it was largely peaceful until the police decided to break it up at which point things will always get heated.

There will always be a small minority who cross the line smashed up the tv camera in the ground for example is a bit silly.

I just think this time the fans had to step it up a level but where does it go next? Do they go again Thursday and get a Europa league game cancelled as well?

This achieved nothing, the Glazers aren't going to sell. They don't care about protests, they survived the last lot. The only way to out them is to get a consortium to offer them stupid money.
I don't want Saudi's.

All this has done is condense our fixture list

There was no need to break in and get the match postponed, I know it creates media coverage, but it won't effect the end game, those glazer hillbillies won't care

Although someone who was there speaking on R5 said the doors they got in through opened outwards, so someone on the inside must have opened them
If they don’t sell then maybe they put there hands in there pockets to try and get the fans on side again.

They've spent on players, it's OT and Carrington that need money spending. I wish they would pay the debt off. All three of those would mean no new players, which would annoy us all.

I'm really peed off that game got postponed, they could just call it a Liverpool win, or we now have to squeeze it in. And it ruined my Sunday, and a copper has a bad facial scar.

Nothing is going to make them sell this cash cow other than a huge offer of money. I hate them, but we need to get them to listen to the fans, this isn't the way.

They need to update the facilities and get players, if they were more open with fans to explain things this would be a start. They need to appoint a couple fans to the board.

And pay off that bloody debt

If we look at the political side of it, throughout history, those being ruled, governed & abused by the high and mighty, the untouchables, there has only ever been 1 answer. So if we transfer people's feelings re their country, religion or basic human rights, to our love of MUFC and football in general, then it is gonna take extreme measures.
Wait for another consortium to buy them out?
Like who? Saudis? Who would bring all culture, morals ( or lack thereof) and ethos that are the exact opposite of what our club stands for?
The actions taken on Sunday, I totally support!
It may cost us points, it may be seen as extreme by other parties, but it did show the football world that we had the courage and conviction to make ourselves heard!
Btw I live in Sydney and the 1st article on every news programme, and front page was about events at OT. All offered the reason behind such actions!

I thought it was needed and i hope this is one of many protests.
Bad publicity will put off sponsors and will hit the glazers where it hurts,in there pockets
As for new owners i dont get why people say,oh no we dont want saudis,why?
will put money into the club and not run it as a cash cow so its a win win

Because of their human rights issues, treatment of women, views on sexuality, Yemen, they still behead people, public flogging etc etc.

To be honest, United fans have never liked any of the owners

They're not going to sell, and there is no saying new buyers would be any better, unless Ratcliffe changes his mind, or the red Knights reappear. So we need to get them to consult fans more, somehow

I guess it comes down to who you think the club belongs to?

It may say on apiece of paper that it is owned by the Glazer family but does it really belong to them?

They spent years abusing it for their own gains and people have long had enough and yesterday they showed that they have the power and ability to stop the show from going on by forcing the biggest game of the season to be cancelled.

I think getting a game postponed is a good thing it tarnishes the brand of Man Utd which could hit the owners in the pocket and fines could be coming their way for the security breaches.

No one wants to see a police officer hurt but there will be plenty of protesters waking up with cuts and bruises as a result of the police intervention when they finally decided to disperse the crowds.

I think that's a bit naive, they aren't going to sell, and that won't make them, sponsors won't pull out, their brand is everywhere at the moment because if it. A few rogue fans on the pitch isn't going to negate their brand everywhere.
If a copper had been glassed at a BLM protest all hell would break lose.
The fans might like to think the club belongs to them/us but reality is, it doesn't and it never will again. Too much money at stake.
Point deductions, fines, just means even less money spent on players and facilities. It's not the way to get anywhere for me.
After the SL debacle now is the prime time to open up dialogue, not fight

Not sure who they open up dialogue with. The Glazers have never interacted with the fans in any way. I guess it depends on what result you are looking for. For me the only way the Glazers sit up and take notice is if there are points deductions, fines etc. I do not think anybody condones violence but turning your back on a team bus has no effect at all. I do not have the answers but I guess all we can do is our own little bit dependant on your feelings. For the first time in around 80 years there will be nobody from my family going to Old Trafford next season.

Yeah, there isn't an answer.

Just need a loaded United fan with 4billion to waste

A Saudi Billionaire is the only person I can see buying United and although that’s not what I want , I would still take that over being owned by the glazers every day of the week.

I think that's a bit naive, they aren't going to sell, and that won't make them, sponsors won't pull out, their brand is everywhere at the moment because if it. A few rogue fans on the pitch isn't going to negate their brand everywhere.
If a copper had been glassed at a BLM protest all hell would break lose.
The fans might like to think the club belongs to them/us but reality is, it doesn't and it never will again. Too much money at stake.
Point deductions, fines, just means even less money spent on players and facilities. It's not the way to get anywhere for me.
After the SL debacle now is the prime time to open up dialogue, not fight

If a brand is unpopular then companies won’t want to be associated with it the reason sponsors want to be associated with Utd is success. That is why over recent seasons our sponsorship earnings have stalled because the club is no longer successful..

I’m sure police were injured at other protests in the last few years this is sadly part of the job by the sound of it he was caught by a bottle that someone threw. Sadly a few idiots will always ruin these things for the masses this is often how it goes. A crowd will react to a show of force by the police and things flare up.

See I think it is the only was it gets sold is if you can drive the value of it down.

The owners have shown no desire to have dialogue with the fans at any point over the last 16 years.

The focus now needs to move to regulation and demanding that football clubs are independently regulated and forced to act in the best interest of their fans and not their owners.

If the fans stop here then yes the glazers won’t sell but if the fans continue to cost them money ie stalling games like this then they can’t ignore forever yesterday cost the glazers money just by setting up for the match for it to be called off.

They didn't cost the Glazers anything. It cost the club.

As much as I agree with the protest and think it needs something to happen I think we are fooling ourselves if we think yesterday or any other protest is a hit to their pocket. The club is self sufficient the Glazers aren't putting money in to cover it.

The only hope is they just have enough of the disruption.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back