Winning from losing positions

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It more highlights our problems than our strengths but i guess we should be greatful we have managed to do it so many times.
Must be Ole's great motivational speeches at half time.

Just the way we play we rarely dominate the opponent from start to finish and control the game we just have a lot of really good players so at any moment they can suddenly click into gear and mount a comeback.

It more highlights our problems than our strengths but i guess we should be greatful we have managed to do it so many times.
Must be Ole's great motivational speeches at half time.
Or, we couldn't possibly play any worse than in the first half of matches, so the second half is an improvement?

I guess it's better than starting well only to collapse and lose it in the second half.

Just the way we play we rarely dominate the opponent from start to finish and control the game we just have a lot of really good players so at any moment they can suddenly click into gear and mount a comeback.
I find that the most irritating/ aggravating aspect to it. We are talking about MUFC , 1 of the biggest and best supported club's in world sport !
To sit and have to watch absolute mediocrity, week after week , well , let's just say , it isn't very heartening !
Apart from the City game , I can't remember the last time , after a match , i felt satisfied , proud, or even simply pleased , with the way we had played that day ?

we definitely need to upgrade our CM this summer so we can start dominating.

I find that the most irritating/ aggravating aspect to it. We are talking about MUFC , 1 of the biggest and best supported club's in world sport !
To sit and have to watch absolute mediocrity, week after week , well , let's just say , it isn't very heartening !
Apart from the City game , I can't remember the last time , after a match , i felt satisfied , proud, or even simply pleased , with the way we had played that day ?

There’s been plenty of good performances through the season but yes there’s a lot of games where it’s been a case of playing badly and winning but that happened a lot during the glory days.

Still plenty to sort out in the squad and certainly the starting XI over the next transfer window.

Utd I think wasted last summers window this summer I think he need to nail 2 or 3 starting quality players.

201208-omag-quiz-half-empty-glass-600x411.jpg

How much water is in this glass?

There’s been plenty of good performances through the season but yes there’s a lot of games where it’s been a case of playing badly and winning but that happened a lot during the glory days.

Still plenty to sort out in the squad and certainly the starting XI over the next transfer window.

Utd I think wasted last summers window this summer I think he need to nail 2 or 3 starting quality players.
This! We've got a squad full of inconsistent players who perform if and when the moment strikes them. Not surprising that this leads to inconsistent performances where individual errors mean we have catching up to do.

This! We've got a squad full of inconsistent players who perform if and when the moment strikes them. Not surprising that this leads to inconsistent performances where individual errors mean we have catching up to do.
There is none more inconsistent than Tony Baloney. He needs to be gone!!

I do think there’s an element of not having much of a structure/system to our play that also causes this to happen it always feels like we need 1 of the stars to step up and grab a game to turn it rather than the team clicking as a unit.

I do think there’s an element of not having much of a structure/system to our play that also causes this to happen it always feels like we need 1 of the stars to step up and grab a game to turn it rather than the team clicking as a unit.
Do you really think you and others on here are better than Ole and his coaching team? You really think they aren't capable of recognising our problem areas and looking at ways to resolve them?
Where did you ever get in the game? what is it that makes you think you are a better analyst than these guys? If a comparison was to be made you wouldn't make a decent ball boy.
But, I know you know that. Some don't is more my point.

Do you really think you and others on here are better than Ole and his coaching team? You really think they aren't capable of recognising our problem areas and looking at ways to resolve them?
Where did you ever get in the game? what is it that makes you think you are a better analyst than these guys? If a comparison was to be made you wouldn't make a decent ball boy.
Lol. You criticise films and TV, yet you know nothing of film making. I bet you criticise books, but I doubt you can write for toffee.

It's a long way down from that horse of yours. Don't break a leg.

Might as well close it down and never talk about football again of course WE aren’t but we can say is Ole and his team one of the best coaching teams in world football? Us starting every game like a 11 lads who met at a bus stop suggests we aren’t going out with a solid plan and a bang on attitude. It does my head in and he really needs to sort that out next season.

Have I slagged off your boy Ole at all btw? No I’ve just said my piece I don’t think he’s moulded a great team out of this lot yet but he’s done a good job of overhauling a poorly built squad over the last 2 seasons making little steps forward along the way. They fight for each other and have a good team spirit but I don’t see players who compliment each other and link well it’s all still a bit to individual and I imagine Ole knows that.

We’ve all watched good Utd sides over the last 30 years we were blessed by great sides but right now we all know this isn’t one. Ole needs to make some smart moves this summer to plug the gaps.

Speaking of analysts, was listening to Michael Owen and Eddie Howe on TV, the other night ( 2 guy's who got to very great heights in the game )
Both were asked for their opinions on where Man U are at , at the moment ?
Their thoughts and opinions were almost identical. Gaps to be.plugged and holes to be filled. With both agreeing " the need for several new players required ! "

I'm going to make some assumptions here. First, I assume you mean click going forward. Second, I assume we both agree that, Fred and McTominay in front of the back 4 offers very (very, very) little going forward. This leaves 4 of Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, James, DvB and Cavani who need to generate all of this offensive fluidity/clicking. Save Bruno, none of those are consistent enough to perform week in and week out. Hence, whichever one decides to show up on a given day, it looks like they're the star saving Ole's tactical ineptitude, when the reality is, the others aren't performing on the day/most days.

I'm going to make some assumptions here. First, I assume you mean click going forward. Second, I assume we both agree that, Fred and McTominay in front of the back 4 offers very (very, very) little going forward. This leaves 4 of Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, James, DvB and Cavani who need to generate all of this offensive fluidity/clicking. Save Bruno, none of those are consistent enough to perform week in and week out. Hence, whichever one decides to show up on a given day, it looks like they're the star saving Ole's tactical ineptitude, when the reality is, the others aren't performing on the day/most days.
Are you assuming that the players who are inconsistent or just plain poor are failing their manager? Or are you saying Ole is failing to get the best out of his players?

Is Ole relying on the double pivot because he has such a poor defensive unit or because he doesn't really have any other ideas?

I struggle with the idea that our squad is generally poor. I think we're two players short of a great side.

Being a couple of players short doesn't in itself account for many of the poor, disjointed performances we have seen this season. I think the coaching team need to hold their hands up for that one.

Ole's earnt the right to show he can improve. Next season he really needs to show he can get the best out of this group of players. That's what improvement is, right?

I think we are short in key areas that cause a lot of our problems.

Our CB's are not great, but they are ok, that isn't a real problem for me.....yet.

Our two CM we play just are not good enough at defending, or attacking, so they leave the back 2 exposed, and the attack has no fluidity. You take Roy Keane, great defensively, equally as good going forward, he would get that ball to the players that can do damage quickly. Too many of our passes are too slow, or more often than not, do not get their destination.

Once that problem is solved we need a right sided player who can attack.

These are the positions we are desperate for.

We do need someone who can actually finish, but until these positions are filled it's pointless. So I would use Greenwood for now. Haaland has way too much backage, his been at Dortmund at year and Raiola is already touting him around Europe, same with Pogba. As good as Haaland is, way too much backage.

I'd like to Buy Bellingham and Rice. Maybe try Diallo for next season out right as those two would probably take a lot of wedge.

I think we need a Rice type player more than a Bellingham. I guess it depends on whether Pogba stays.

We need a proper defensive midfielder. Fred isn't disciplined enough, is not great when pressed and not a reliable enough passer.

McT's more a midfielder (no.8). It'll be a mistake to try and use him as a defensive midfielder (no.6).

So you can't buy Bellingham without selling Pogba and you'd still be short of a good defensive midfielder.

Bellingham plays mostly as a defensive Midfielder.

Also, if Pogba was signing a new deal, I think we would have heard about it by now.

Can, Delaney and Witsel are Dortmund's defensive mids. Bellingham plays more central. Started out on the right for Birmingham.

when he came on for England they called him a defensive midfielder too

He’s an attacking midfield player.

Played wide a fair bit when he came through and often plays wide at Dortmund.

Very talented player probably suits playing in a 3 man midfield rather than a 2 as his instinct is to go forward but you could play him there if you had a real top class holding player and you are a team that dominates the ball.

Looks like we missed out on a serious talent not getting him from Birmingham.

If Pogba does leave Utd need two top quality central midfield players this summer which is a big ask.

Ok

so the commentaters on the England match, and the stats above are wrong.

And you're all right.

Ole's earnt the right to show he can improve. Next season he really needs to show he can get the best out of this group of players. That's what improvement is, right?
The current group of players fall short of requirements. We need some additions, what is it you don't get about this?

The current group of players fall short of requirements. We need some additions, what is it you don't get about this?
The current group needs a couple of additions. I clearly stated that.

That said, my opinion is the group we have should be doing better than they are.

Ok

And you're all right.

Whoscored which is one of my go to sites has him playing 40/60 DM/CM. So obviously does do the defensive side of the game too.

He is so highly talked up by everyone but what's his fee gonna be when he eventually moves again. We need to be getting the Bellingham's and the Haalands before they get to Dortmund not paying triple their fees 2 seasons later.

Reports were we were in for both. So how have we got it so wrong that an English lad is choosing Dortmund over us.

Ok

And you're all right.

Bellingham replaced Mount at half time in the San Marino game playing on the left side in a midfield 3 with Phillips and Ward Prowse.

They have him as a centre mid who can also play on the wings.

From what I have seen of him he looks a similar style to McTominay

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back