Dean Henderson | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's not his ridiculous wages keeping him in the team

Youd imagine he's got performance related clauses and actually gets paid more when he plays.

But yes of course looks terrible dropping your highest paid player.

I think it's simply Henderson hasn't taken the shirt off of him. He looks nervous when he plays.

Was weak coming for a cross but couldn't moan at his performance.

We don't score the third goal with De Gea playing. He holds on to that ball instead of launching the counter.

Was that the one where he was fouled? The guy headed it out of his hands

I wonder if respect for what he has done here is keeping De Gea in the team. Obviously not correct but it could be why they aren’t quite willing to bin him off yet as number one.

Henderson deserves an extended run for sure.

I certainly think he’d earned a bit of slack for being brilliant for 4 or 5 seasons but this is his 3rd season in a row where he’s making regular errors that are costing his team and he’s not exactly making game saving changes either.

I imagine he’s a big influence in the dressing room senior player coming up to 10 seasons at the club so he would be well respected but surely even they must be getting on his case.

My assumption is Ole isn’t totally convinced by Henderson he’s got that Joe Hart/Jordan Pickford over enthusiastic vibe to him which I think worries managers. De Gea is cool and calm he doesn’t make rash decision and gamble whereas I think Henderson has that in his game.

The Barthez factor :D proper mental

I loved him to be fair, even if he did give away a few goals.

Barthez was fun at the start when he was scooping it over strikers but by the end it was ridiculous the pinnacle being that Arsenal game.

I certainly think he’d earned a bit of slack for being brilliant for 4 or 5 seasons but this is his 3rd season in a row where he’s making regular errors that are costing his team and he’s not exactly making game saving changes either.

I imagine he’s a big influence in the dressing room senior player coming up to 10 seasons at the club so he would be well respected but surely even they must be getting on his case.

My assumption is Ole isn’t totally convinced by Henderson he’s got that Joe Hart/Jordan Pickford over enthusiastic vibe to him which I think worries managers. De Gea is cool and calm he doesn’t make rash decision and gamble whereas I think Henderson has that in his game.
I think any credit in the bank he had, was used up a while ago, and as for being an influence in the dressing room, he is a senior player but he struggles to influence his own box.

I don't get the argument that De Gea is cool and calm which is why he is preferred to Henderson. The cool and calm approach resulted in inaction vs Everton and also against Leipzig last season. I prefer my keepers to fight for the team even if it means there's a possibility they may get hurt. De Gea is too soft and the opposition know this.

De Gea should be dropped, and henderson given a chance to prove we do not need to buy another keeper in the summer.

De Gea should be dropped, and henderson given a chance to prove we do not need to buy another keeper in the summer.
Agreed. They need to see what they have over a number of games with Henderson to determine if they need to act in the summer. De Gea isn't going to be the answer for them long term.

I think any credit in the bank he had, was used up a while ago, and as for being an influence in the dressing room, he is a senior player but he struggles to influence his own box.

I don't get the argument that De Gea is cool and calm which is why he is preferred to Henderson. The cool and calm approach resulted in inaction vs Everton and also against Leipzig last season. I prefer my keepers to fight for the team even if it means there's a possibility they may get hurt. De Gea is too soft and the opposition know this.

Left a comment in the thread regarding our CB partnership, a brave commanding keeper in our 6yd box is what we need, would help CB's but DdG won't provide that.

Palace 0-0 Man Utd

Match saving save at the very end.

De Gea missed the game for personal reasons but he may have lost his number 1 spot

Good save at the end and didn’t do his chances any harm. Also looks like he controls his box much better. Still think De Gea will come back in when he’s back.

Henderson looks more physically imposing too.

I think De Gea will come back in for united but I think Henderson should be the #1.

Guess we need to wait until we find out how long Dave will be absent for it's a private matter according to the manager so we will just have to wait and see.

Having a good game. I certainly dont feel like we are weakened for Ge Gea absence

Premier League: Man City 0-2 Man United

Can’t be dropped now in my opinion. Should get a long run to establish himself.

Yep doing exactly what he needs to a chance has presented itself with Dave going back to Spain it’s up to Henderson to grab that chance.

Two solid performances from him hasn’t been forced to pull of anything spectacular but he dominates his box and he kicks well so I think the number 1 slot should be his to lose now.

Kicks well?

Thought it was a massive let down today and twice bailed out by his defence after poor kicks. Other than that he was solid. Poor finishing as oppose to good goalkeeping was helpful today. Not sure he's done anything that takes the shirt of De Gea.

De Gea literally had a clean sheet in his last match Vs Chelsea. He's not lost his place he's gone away to be with his wife now she's given birth.

Henderson may keep it but it's certainly not going to be a surprise should De Gea come back and take his place back. As I said Henderson hasn't had to do anything that makes you think that's great. What's really changed in the last few games and including the Chelsea game is our CB's are suddenly peeforming.

Henderson claimed a few balls today that had me asking if De Gea would have came for them.
I think he has to keep the jersey and De Gea needs to win it back. Then again, I do think De Gea's time is up at OT and Henderson should be No 1 next season. We will get a decent fee for him and we will have a No1 who commands his box better which in turn will help our defence as a whole.

Henderson claimed a few balls today that had me asking if De Gea would have came for them.
I think he has to keep the jersey and De Gea needs to win it back. Then again, I do think De Gea's time is up at OT and Henderson should be No 1 next season. We will get a decent fee for him and we will have a No1 who commands his box better which in turn will help our defence as a whole.
Doubt we’d get much for De Gea now his forms dipped and he’s on mega wages if they want him out they’ll be giving him away cheap or out on loan paying half his wages.

I do agree time for a new number 1.

I do agree time for a new number 1.
Which in itself tells you there is something wrong.
We would never have dared make such statements during the Schmeichel and Van Der Sar era's

Which in itself tells you there is something wrong.
We would never have dared make such statements during the Schmeichel and Van Der Sar era's

Nor would we have though this possible 5 years ago when De Gea was winning POTY every season and carrying the team.

De Gea deserves to go on good terms so it will be interesting to see how it plays out because I'm not convinced Ole has full confidence in Henderson just yet whenever he's had the choice he's stuck with De Gea so will be interesting to see where we end up now.

if he keeps getting clean sheets it will be hard and harsh to drop him.

I guess Ole has to think of where Henderson is at mentally as well, I have no doubts he thinks he should be number 1.

If Ole went to Henderson tomorrow and said sorry but De Gea will go into next season as number 1 - I think Henderson would go okay but that’s not for me, let me leave. For me he should be given an extended run because he could be our number 1 for the next 10 years. If De Gea leaves in two years and Henderson is long gone then we will have to spend some good money on a replacement. Even someone like Pope would probably take £40-50m to take him away from Burnley.

It's a tough one for Ole to manage because do you "punish" De Gea for wanting to be at the birth of his first child? Is it really punishment if you basically decide to have a month off and your replacement takes your spot? It's clear this period of absence was known about before he did it but we don't know what Ole said to De Gea in terms of assurances over his spot while he was gone.

A lot will depend on the dressing room as you say if Henderson doesn't make any mistakes in this little spell of games will it unsettle the team if they make the change. Is Henderson or De Gea a big voice in the dressing room De Gea is obviously a senior player but he also seems to be a pretty quiet guy on and off the pitch.

The rumours about De Gea leaving in the summer to me are not solid enough to make you think that's happening we hear the odd link do the rounds but there's never anything solid and continuous.

For now I'd just be focusing on the positive with Henderson here's a stretch of games show us what you can do he's had a good start 2 clean sheets and no major warning signs but can he keep that up over the run. If he can he's giving Ole a big decision to make.

Also in normal times De Gea wouldn't be having a month off. He's gone to be at the birth of his son but now we have quarantine rules so he can't just come back the following day or two.

I don't think anyone can begrudge him for going. And good for us that we can get a good look at Henderson.

It's still De Gea's spot for me though. You take the #1 spot through great performances not get handed it because City couldn't put a decent shot on target.

Captain seems to be making it pretty clear the place is still De Gea's in the teams opinion.

Of course you have to take it from him but you have to be ruthless when that chance comes and De Gea's form was almost playing himself out of the number 1 spot.

In both games he's had a big moment the late save to deny Palace a winner and yesterday his distribution for Shaw's goal was bang on.

He hasn't had to stand there being "Dave the Save" like De Gea has done in the past but all he can do is perform when called upon.

I think your being a bit harsh on Hendersons performance IDFD. Clean sheet, no errors, good commandment of box, couple of decent saves, granted ones he should make, and a great quick ball out which led to a goal.

Maybe the defence feels safer with him in there too.

If he puts in 4 or 5 clean sheets I don't think you can drop him.

I think your being a bit harsh on Hendersons performance IDFD. Clean sheet, no errors, good commandment of box, couple of decent saves, granted ones he should make, and a great quick ball out which led to a goal.

Maybe the defence feels safer with him in there too.

If he puts in 4 or 5 clean sheets I don't think you can drop him.

I'm not being harsh at all. It's just he didn't actually do anything in this game worthy of praising. It's not like City are a team that raided balls down on top of him. Everything he took was uncontested and easy. There wasn't anything that you could even look at and say that was a solid 7/10 good bit of goalkeeping. Our defence were excellent and the chances City did carve out they fluffed.

Yes his distribution for the goal was excellent. I think we had one similar in the Europa League at Sociedad too.

And everyone is totally ignoring his kicking which was poor at times and he was bailed out by the defence. Let's hope he sticks to throwing it.

But they wouldn't have scored had you or I been in goal.

The good thing is the defence seems to have turned a corner recently but it's the same as before when our defence is solid we don't score and when we are scoring our defence lets us down and we've got to find the balance. Yesterday is a good result to build on.

I get what you're saying @IDFD but is the defence improving because they've got someone behind who will a) come off his line and b) actually shout instructions? This is something that's almost impossible to judge but in both games we've seen balls that Henderson has gone dealt with outside his box something De Gea doesn't do and claimed balls coming into the box that again De Gea normally leaves for his defenders to deal with.

You are bang on lets judge it over 10 games not 2 games.

I'll admit I wasn't watching the game closely enough to spot bad kicks there was one he hit first time that he scuffed to Sterlin about 35 yards out but other than that his kicking looked fine certainly no worse than what we get from De Gea.

On the saves do you think Dave saves that one from Van Aanholt? That sort of save seems to be one that De Gea doesn't have a high success rate on these days.

I think the change in the defence actually came about in the Chelsea game. They seem to be trying to step up and take charge more rather than reacting to what happens. So I don't think Henderson has had any impact on that one.

Maybe De Gea doesn't make the save against Palace. Though it was offside.

I just think Henderson is receiving the praise that should actually be going to Lindelof and Maguire. They were both excellent against Chelsea and City in front of different keepers and it looks a real turn around in form from the both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back