Man Utd vs Istanbul Basaksehir ~ Tue 24th 8pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Big game for the group simply put it's must win if we do that we're in a really strong position in the group not home and dry but in control.

They done us in the reverse fixture so revenge is required a bit of professional pride because this isn't a good team.

Don't recall any injuries being suffered at the weekend but rotation will be required as is normal Pogba may or may not be back.

Guessing Matic and Mata will definitely drop out, Lindelof has been managing a back problem so he might sit this one out.

My guess at his XI can't see it being anything other than the 4-2-3-1 system.

Henderson

AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Telles

McTominay Fred

Greenwood VDB Rashford

Cavani

Lingard not available he's isolating due to coming into contact with a positive Covid 19 case.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure about Cavani in central defence to be honest.

He's finally gone with the starting 11 I want to see (mainly minus Lindelof ;) )

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure about Cavani in central defence to be honest.

Damn. Ole is going for it. No resting the big guns. It will be interesting to see VDB in with Bruno, and Pellistri is on the bench!

Switched on as he was celebrating what a hit.

That keeper was more generous than our defence in the last game.

They’re getting through us quite easily but we look so much slicker going forward.

Different game when you don't play 2 DM's and a slow right winger.

Fair play to Lindelof. Great ball.

Telles absolutely sprinting up that left wing. Shaw would still be in our half.

Giving them way to many easy chances luckily Ba is having an off night.

3-1 lovely free kick

Very sloppy second half from Utd need to get our act together here.

4-1

Dan James gets a goal shame he didn’t get the cheer of the crowd.

Good result but not a good performance gave them way to many chances with sloppy play he’s really got to find a better balance in midfield to control the game.

Happy with that. I think the starting XI was pretty much our best, except I'd have put in McTominay instead of Fred, and I'm not sold on Cavani so I'd play Greenwood or Martial there instead. That first half was really enjoyable, seeing us move the ball so quickly and just cut them apart was delightful. Bruno's goals were great as well. Having VDB as the glue in there today always helping the ball along, relieving pressure on the ball carriers, I thought he did really well.

Happy for Dan James's goal. That was harder than he made it look. He's still young, he shows signs every once in awhile so I hope it's been premature writing him off.

We do have a precipitous drop-off in quality from our starters. Second half we got sloppy but we also got tired. Ole freshened up the side with bringing on Williams and Tuanzebe, but I think the more pressing need was in the center, as Fred was dropping in effectiveness due to tired legs.

I didn't see Cavani doing a whole lot as an out and out #9. His link play was good, he loves little flicks, but I didn't see him getting on the end of anything. He's the only natural #9 we have but I think the other 3 forwards (Martial, Rashford, Greenwood) offer more in that role even though none of them play like actual #9s.

Overall, enjoyed that match a lot.

Seen some highlights which looks like we did well in the first half but eased off in the second half.

VDB sounds like he did well? I think if we can make that work with him alongside Fred then it’ll be much better for the team as a whole.

Also good to see Greenwood get some minutes, we’ve definitely missed him out on the right.

The problem we have in my eyes is even the fairly good performances present with different problems. I much preferred last night's set up, better balance and more speed. That brings its own issues though. Better quality defensive midfield player and centre half becomes as important as right flank. Every formation we play poses us a different problem. That said I enjoyed watching last night's game much more than the west brom game.

VDB did well but it was a bit similar to when we play Pogba in there he naturally drifts around and leaves gaps that Fred can't cover on his own so teams get through us quite easily.

Fred was pretty sloppy with his passing last night something which seemed to improve in recent weeks his short passing is alright but his long passing is woeful which does seem to create a problem when pressed.

I don't think we've quite found that balance yet in midfield playing the 2 more defensive holders stifles the attack but bolsters the defence whereas only playing 1 of them seems to spark the attack into life and expose the defence.

I thought Cavani was good it was like we had a proper number 9 up top again put the ball near him and there's a chance he'll get hold of it and bring the others into play and there were a few counters where he should have been played in but the attackers decided to take the shot. Feels like there's more to come as well but guess it will be how many games can we expect him to play.

At the back we were very ropey again don't think anyone had a particularly good night defensively and the scoreline could and maybe should have been a lot closer.

It's job almost done 1 point required from the 2 remaining games which are both tough but you'd hope we turn up in one of the games and get what we need to go through.

We need better CB's to be able to play are more attack/forward thinking midfield.

We need better CB's to be able to play are more attack/forward thinking midfield.

Not sure that it totally true Mr C this wasn't long ball stuff this was a team playing it's way through us so easily like the midfield wasn't even there. This happens to us a lot when we play one of the more attacking minded midfield players in that 2.

We need to be much better at keeping the ball we turn the ball over a lot which means we get players caught out of position all the time as they're tried to find space to attack, so there are gaps that teams can exploit as the team becomes very spread out. We also need to be much more alert when we do lose the ball either recover it high up or make those quick fouls that stop teams getting out we don't really do either of them.

A lot of the time by the time it gets to the defence they're already exposed and out of position so it's a bit of a recovery scramble job.

i do think we need the two disciplined players in the middle of the park the system sort of forces us to have them but what we need is one of to have a much better passing range. It's why I think they're desperate for Pogba to work in that position because he has it but he just isn't good enough defensively in that role.

Guys, it was a pretty good performance with decent highlights such as Bruno's screamer. Plenty of positives to take, Rashford was looking dangerous, DVB has a slickness to his game and looks good and comfortable on the ball with good zippy distribution we need more of that. Cavani looks fit as a fiddle and will surely have positive impact for us in the course of the season, he covered good ground and showed a good work rate. Same with Telles, he has good energy and can whip in dangerous balls. We have Greenwood back. And hey, did anybody say - we won 4-1.
Some get too rapped up in negativity "they could have scored"!! Well yes there is another professional team on the pitch looking to carry out the games ultimate objective of putting the ball in the net and it is likely chances will be had at our end.
It seems for some unless United have 16 shots on target with a 1 in 4 success rate and the opposition has none at all folk will grumble "they could have scored", "we were lucky about this, we were lucky about that". We won 4-1

You have to give it context though @Shoot yeah we scored 4. However, one was an absolute gift from the keeper, one was a penalty and one was a late break away but having got ourselves in a really strong position with great attacking play they tried to sit on the league and showed they can't really do that.

Playing this way this team will create chances no doubt but you can't give up the chances we do every time we play this way as most of the time the opponent punishes you.

People are just saying that finding that perfect pairing is proving tough on paper all the options are pretty good with different strength and weaknesses but he can't find the right pair that balance it. The most convincing pair is on paper the two least talented players so it can become a bit of a no win situation.

@jsp, you are a bit of a doom merchant :p

We critisice when we lose, lets not do it when we win. It doesn't matter one was a gift etc. We are one point away from the next phase of the CL. When the groups were drawn we were written off immediately. We also comprehensively beat a team we had just lost to, putting that right.

We all know the holes in the squad, which is why we play 2 DM's etc. So it might be worth remembering this next time it let's batter Ole time.

We critisice when we lose, lets not do it when we win. It doesn't matter one was a gift etc. We are one point away from the next phase of the CL. When the groups were drawn we were written off immediately. We also comprehensively beat a team we had just lost to, putting that right.

We all know the holes in the squad, which is why we play 2 DM's etc. So it might be worth remembering this next time it let's batter Ole time.

I know I can be like that just sick of us being in this constant up and down under different managers the last 7 years made me this way. I've seen these false dawns before knowing those steps back are only just around the corner so have to try and not get carried away with a win.

Just think it's right to judge performances as well as judging results there's alarm bells ringing watching that game despite the score line that shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet. Same way if the team was playing really well and not getting the breaks and losing you shouldn't call for a managers head.

The group has turned out great for us we've played 4 won 3. I'd say put in a great performance vs PSG a shocker vs Istanbul (a) and had 2 good performances at home.

I agree there's a balance issue could he play the 2 holders to protect his defence if he'd got that top class right winger he wanted? Would another centre back solve his problem to release the midfield? Would a better holding centre mid who can do everything that Fred does well but also pass the ball better be the answer?

LOL......... my comments weren't aimed at jsp, it is most United fans in general at present. Some cant seem to see anything but darkness when there is actually lots of light to be seen as well. The team and club in my opinion is in best shape since Fergie retired and will get better. A bit of patience is presently needed, we cant be starting all over again, Ole has probably already done most of the hard bit, by next season we will have taken further strides forward.

You have to give it context though @Shoot yeah we scored 4. However, one was an absolute gift from the keeper, one was a penalty and one was a late break away but having got ourselves in a really strong position with great attacking play they tried to sit on the league and showed they can't really do that.

Playing this way this team will create chances no doubt but you can't give up the chances we do every time we play this way as most of the time the opponent punishes you.

People are just saying that finding that perfect pairing is proving tough on paper all the options are pretty good with different strength and weaknesses but he can't find the right pair that balance it. The most convincing pair is on paper the two least talented players so it can become a bit of a no win situation.
Yes, I know but if we concede a goal due to an absolute gift from the keeper De Gea is shit and the sooner Henderson oust's him the better. If we concede a penalty it's because our defence is shit and if we concede a goal to a late break our defence is double shit.
If we are the benefactors of the above because of mistakes by our opponents then we are still shit because our opponents were even shittier.
That's the way it seems to be at the moment. The negativity is totally ingrained in some folk and it spreads like a virus and brings all the fan base down and eventually the team. We need to find some positivity.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back