Where does Van de Beek fit in?

Sideshow Bob

There is clamour for Van de Beek to play minutes. He’s behind Fernandes and Pogba in the pecking order. How does Solskjaer fit him into the team?

The obvious way to fit in him would be to play a 4-4-2 diamond. The other way would be to share the minutes with Pogba a bit more equally.

I think Mata drops out Bruno goes right and VDB goes in the centre.

New signings don’t always go straight in so I’m not to worried.

I think he came in to be the Pogba replacement as I reckon he’s off next summer.

I think if it literally comes down to replacing Pogba then we should be implementing that now. It is less important to upset Pogba than VDB. Donny may be completely at ease with his situation but he did not look particularly happy.

VDB needs to earn his starting spot he’s done ok when he’s played so far but he hasn’t really forced out a starting player.

It’s a hard one for Ole to solve for me 4-3-3 best fits VDB but in a 4-3-3 I don’t think we can play Bruno in the midfield I think he needs to be higher in that front 3.

A midfield 3 of VDB, Pogba and one of Matic/Fred/McTominay could be interesting against weaker sides at home.

There’s a lot of games this season so his chances will come I expect him to start midweek vs Leipzig.

I think Mata drops out Bruno goes right and VDB goes in the centre.

New signings don’t always go straight in so I’m not to worried.

I think he came in to be the Pogba replacement as I reckon he’s off next summer.
Here's hoping

VDB needs to earn his starting spot he’s done ok when he’s played so far but he hasn’t really forced out a starting player.

It’s a hard one for Ole to solve for me 4-3-3 best fits VDB but in a 4-3-3 I don’t think we can play Bruno in the midfield I think he needs to be higher in that front 3.

A midfield 3 of VDB, Pogba and one of Matic/Fred/McTominay could be interesting against weaker sides at home.

There’s a lot of games this season so his chances will come I expect him to start midweek vs Leipzig.
Not entirely sure how he earns a starting place when he hardly plays. For me when he has played he has shown so much more awareness than pogba. Good one touch and move football

Not entirely sure how he earns a starting place when he hardly plays. For me when he has played he has shown so much more awareness than pogba. Good one touch and move football

Yeah he started to two league cup games and was alright but he didn’t really force Ole to pick him next time around.

It’s been a bright start if he’s still not getting starts in a months time then I’d worry but right now I’ve got no issue with easing him in slowly.

Yeah not worried, new signings sometimes take a while to bed in and get a chance. I think he’s a very good player who will eventually be a starter. It’ll be hard if Ole persists with McT and Fred but like jsp said you could move Bruno right and then bring VDB in that way.

I think the important thing for him is when he does get a start then he needs to perform in a way when he cannot he dropped for the next game.

Steve Mclaridge :p was pointing out on Saturday, when they moved Bruno out right for a spell, his body language was bad, he doesn't like it, doesn't see enough of the ball. He said the same happened at Newcastle.

We know none of this summers signings were on Ole's list. Currently the only way VDB gets a game is a Bruno injury or rest.

The situation is ridiculous and about as baffling as Covid. Telles gets a game, Cavani gets a game but the lad who is clearly a bloody good talent can't. Is Ole trying to prove something here?

The situation is ridiculous and about as baffling as Covid. Telles gets a game, Cavani gets a game but the lad who is clearly a bloody good talent can't. Is Ole trying to prove something here?

How many league games has Torres started for City?
How many league games has Ziyech started for Chelsea?

VDB has started 2 league cup games, came off the bench in 3 of the 5 league games.

He will get his games I really don’t understand why people are losing their minds over it.

Ziyech has been injured. Not sure about Torres, he's from a different league and maybe not lit the training ground up at City. VDB clearly is a good player.

Ziyech has been injured. Not sure about Torres, he's from a different league and maybe not lit the training ground up at City. VDB clearly is a good player.

We don’t know what VDB is looking like in training either on the pitch he’s done ok but he hasn’t exactly lit it up in the limited chances he’s had so far.

He’s also in a position of the squad that is fiercely competitive.

We don’t know what VDB is looking like in training either on the pitch he’s done ok but he hasn’t exactly lit it up in the limited chances he’s had so far.

He’s also in a position of the squad that is fiercely competitive.
So why did we buy him and not a right flank player if we didn't need him.

So why did we buy him and not a right flank player if we didn't need him.

We do need him proper competition/cover for Bruno at a discounted price.

I do think getting Bruno, Pogba and VDB all in the starting XI is tough probably impossible but VDB just needs to be patient and take his chance when it comes.

We also needed a right winger but we couldn’t get the one we wanted so instead we’ve invested in youth for further down the line. Not the move I wanted to see but I get it when there was a lack of options available to us. I was pretty vocal right wing for me was priority number 1 this summer I guess we will see if the gamble pays off later down the road. Pellistri is nowhere near ready for first team the other lad who’s due in January might be we will have to wait and see.

Are you going to drop Bruno for him?

If not, where are you playing him?

It was a daft signing, by Ed. Might be a good player, but we only need him for Bruno cover.

Yeah not worried, new signings sometimes take a while to bed in and get a chance. I think he’s a very good player who will eventually be a starter. It’ll be hard if Ole persists with McT and Fred but like jsp said you could move Bruno right and then bring VDB in that way.

I think the important thing for him is when he does get a start then he needs to perform in a way when he cannot he dropped for the next game.
I'd argue VDB's performances have been of the few that were spotless. He's looked lively, smart, and creative when played, not sure what more Ole could be expecting from him.

I see both VDB and Bruno as midfield players not number 10s. They could both play as box to box with one of the defensive midfield players. One of the problems is we should only need 1 holding midfield player but we seem to need 2.

I can see that towards the end of last season, if we had VDB, he would have been really useful as Bruno was playing every game and looked knackered. The games are starting to come thick and fast now so maybe he'll get his chances but I'm guessing it will be for Bruno to rest and he'll only play Cup games and less important games

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back