Premier League 2020/21: Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United

SuperRash

Next game up on Saturday.

Brighton are tricky customers these days and have looked good so far this season. So it definitely won’t be easy and if we play like we did against Palace we aren’t going to get far.

I would go with the below:

De Gea

AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw

Matic - Pogba

Greenwood - Fernandes - Rashford

Martial

he's not dropping Lindelof yet i don't reckon.

And I'm not sure Matic will start.

De Gea

AWB Lindelöf Maguire Shaw

Pogba McTominay

Greenwood Fernandes Rashford

Martial

I think in his head currently that's his first choice XI so I think he'll go with that at the weekend then the team that played last night will be the core of the team for the league cup game next week. The only thing for me is Brighton are very strong on set pieces will he think about changing Lindelöf or McTominay for Bailly or Matic to give that more dominant presence in the air.

Think this one and the next game are almost being used as pre season it's all about getting as many minutes as possible into everyone's legs so that we can get all the players he plans to use this season match fit.

Just got to hope that they've cleared the rust out the system and can get back to winning ways and put some points on the board in the league.

Going to have to go for a draw here. I think things around United stink a little bit at the moment.

De Gea

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Williams

Matic - McTominay

Greenwood - Fernandes - Rashford

Martial

Changes from SuperRash's lineup: Lindelof, Williams, McTominay in.

Lindelof over Bailly. Bailly is like first-season Rojo, where he had incredible moments but was a loose cannon who never settled, and rode the edge of outright violence too often. Stick with the Lindelof-Maguire axis that shored up our leaky defense.

We are better when attacking, and Williams is a far better attacking player than Shaw. Shaw and TFM last week was torture. AWB and Williams will mean we actually have attackers on the outside.

Pogba was diabolical (as was the whole team). I'd rather try to work in VDB into the setup. Pogba is kind of a luxury player, even though he might be our only world class player on his day, but he's been more mercurial than Martial. I'd opt for less flair and more workmanlike performances. The whole team looked like strangers to one another and lacked sharpness, so "resting" Pogba might be the opposite of the remedy this team needs, but I think we need people doing the simpler things correctly first before we open a space for Pogba to produce a single world-class pass in 90 minutes while giving the ball away like he was afraid it might bite him.

We need to go back there a few days later to play them in the next round of the League Cup.
Wouldn’t surprise me if a totally different team takes to the field for each trip.

Yeah got to be as strong as possible in the league then play the reserves/kids in the league cup.

The Palace defeat hurt but I think Ole knew these first few games on paper look easy but in reality will be tough as his team will be miles off fitness wise there wasn't even really scope for any behind closed doors friendlies at old Trafford just to try and get things moving.

Sloppy play was also part of the Palace game there's no excuse for that this time they've had a game now the performance levels need to be much higher right from the start get on top of them.

Mrs booked a night away on Sat as we haven't had the usual holidays this year, she said she has treated us. I said Utd are on at 12.30pm, we'll have to go after the footy finished and World War 3 started. Needless to say I will be missing this match, to 'prove' my relationship means more than Utd. I can't bring myself to tell her the truth haha

Mrs booked a night away on Sat as we haven't had the usual holidays this year, she said she has treated us. I said Utd are on at 12.30pm, we'll have to go after the footy finished and World War 3 started. Needless to say I will be missing this match, to 'prove' my relationship means more than Utd. I can't bring myself to tell her the truth haha
What is it with some women? Mine is the same. Not with United but with my love of the NFL.

Keep in mind the NFL only runs September to the first weekend in February. It's only on a Sunday night, well mostly anyway. And for the most part we watch hours of her rubbish every week. And yet every week during the season I get moans and complaints.

I've never had an issue until last weekend. This is actually a grudge match for us. She's a Brighton fan having studied there and worked at the Amex for 3 years. I shall be reminding her to calm down if they score.

As for the match I think we'll see

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

DVDB Matic Bruno

Greenwood Martial Rashford

Feckin women! Can't wait til the weekday matches start as well, that'll me fun. And the F1 on a Sunday is just another story lol

Anyway, I see people include VDB in the starting XI. Why do you think he will start over Pogba? Pogba needs game time surely?

In the minutes they’ve played so far DVDB has been the better player. Pogba had a shocker last week and needs a reminder if he doesn’t perform he won’t get in the side.

Not sure it's right to single out Pogba then pick the other 9 players that also had shockers.

I think Ole has setup two starting XI's in his head one weekend and one mid week for the first few weeks so my guess is the starting XI vs Brighton will be pretty similar to the starting XI vs Palace the only changes I think will be Greenwood in for James and AWB in for TFM. He gave those two an extended break so I think he'll bring them back in now.

I think he wants his midweek team to be strong enough to get through in the league cup games so he'll look to keep Bailly/VDB/Matic fresh for those games.

Pogba was only poor due to fitness surely, not just being poor? As jsp said, the whole team really were poor and looked very rusty.

yeah, I can't see Pogba being dropped, he probably won't finish the match.

It wasn't just fitness issues with Pogba last weekend he was also crap his passing was well below usual standards and he got the absolute run around in midfield just wasn't at the races at all.

You literally just said it wasn't just him.

The whole team wasn't match ready, physically or mentally.

It wasn’t just Pogba that was poor but Pogba has the best ready made replacement to come in whose also probably been our best player in terms of speed and urgency so far. He looks more ready for the season to begin than any of our other players.

I don’t think we’ve signed DVDB to play league cup games.

I don't think we have either it's competition for places but I think these first few games are all about getting everyone playing time so I think VDB will start on the bench and be used as the impact sub in this game.

The great thing is leaving out Pogba or Bruno because they need a rest is now a viable option without massively weakening your starting XI.

ha the problem has always been giving those two a rest now VDB can't get a game cos Pogba needs game time. Ironic.

Yeah but the plans got to be get all 3 of them 100% fit and hopefully in form as quickly as possible so you can start rotating them.

Pogba didn't play the game mid week so I'm guessing he'll start this one maybe he'll try to give Bruno/VDB time together from the start then use Pogba off the bench.

It's just mental that we have to use competitive games like pre season friendlies as punishment for doing well in Europe.

If you're not able to match your opponent physically it can be a huge disadvantage especially at the very top level.

You literally just said it wasn't just him.

The whole team wasn't match ready, physically or mentally.
Pogba's crapness was basic football skills crapness, not fitness related. Most everyone else looked like it was a fitness issue, at least in midfield. TFM and James looked like they won a contest to play in a testimonial with some first team players. Pogba's aim and vision were non-existent, cow's arse/banjo kind of thing.

What is it with some women? Mine is the same. Not with United but with my love of the NFL.

Keep in mind the NFL only runs September to the first weekend in February. It's only on a Sunday night, well mostly anyway. And for the most part we watch hours of her rubbish every week. And yet every week during the season I get moans and complaints.
Happy to report that mine is the opposite. We book every schedule around United playing. She will even watch matches with me, providing they are not the ones on at 4AM here (I get up and watch them live instead of recording them). What I don't understand is mixed marriages, like IDFD, I can't imagine having a divided household with divided football loyalties. A friend of mine from London gave my son an Arsenal hat for his birthday and he was lucky to escape with his life for the "gift".

My family is completely at logger heads. My Dad and two sisters are season ticket holders at Stamford Bridge. Me and My Mum are massive United fans.

I don’t think he’ll drop lindeloff because he knows how big confidence is he’ll want him to forget that last game and quick and I would like to see Fred and matic in midfield not mctomminay

Happy to report that mine is the opposite. We book every schedule around United playing. She will even watch matches with me, providing they are not the ones on at 4AM here (I get up and watch them live instead of recording them). What I don't understand is mixed marriages, like IDFD, I can't imagine having a divided household with divided football loyalties. A friend of mine from London gave my son an Arsenal hat for his birthday and he was lucky to escape with his life for the "gift".
Whereabouts in the world are you bud?

My family is completely at logger heads. My Dad and two sisters are season ticket holders at Stamford Bridge. Me and My Mum are massive United fans.

I know this is the wrong thread, sorry.

Did your parents pick teams based on where they grew up?

It's different for foreign fans. Some of us support local sides but there are not that many of them, even factoring in USL teams with the MLS. Season ticket holders to the LA clubs (Galaxy, LAFC) whom I know personally all support European clubs in addition, but how they pick them is usually down to liking a certain player. I am part of a fairly large United fan club here in LA (MULA), and there are a couple hundred members. I have no idea how they chose United - I will ask them.

For us too it's hard to really care about geographical rivalries. I get the bad blood between United and their hated enemies, and I get sports rivalries, but I guess I don't get that. I mean, I know the historical reasons for hating Liverpool and Leeds, and I know what their fans have done, etc., but we don't have that mentality in most cities where you want to bash rival fans. Occasionally fights happen, people being people, but nothing like I've seen in England or Europe. I went to a HSV match in Hamburg (Ruud was playing!) and the way the cops were on horses and everything was barricaded up and we were pushed through like cattle - was actually alarming. The opposition fans were nowhere to be seen, either.

I know this is the wrong thread, sorry.

Did your parents pick teams based on where they grew up?

Yeah my Mum's side of the family are Mancunian. My Dads side are from Battersea (South London). At 7 I got told I had to make my decision because of the FA Cup final game. I'm glad I went the way I did and followed my Mum's side of the family.

I've only ever had trouble at football twice it's not as bad as it's made out to be anymore. Once at Reading. Think it was 4-3 at half time. Then no goals in the second half. But they had all the away fans going in through one turnstile and then kettled us in.

The other a 2-1 win against Arsenal at Highbury. I must have been 11/12 and they started chanting stab the United kid. Me and my mum had to run from a mob of Arsenal fans getting on a bus to safety.

my wife and her family are Chelsea fans. My wife no longer follows football, she said I took the enjoyment out of it by either A over celebrating or B stropping when they beat us.

Her Uncle bought my eldest a Chelsea top! I used to play football with her and let her win. When she said I'll be Chelsea and you be Man Utd I anhilated her. She's a united fan now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back