3pm TV blackout to be lifted for 2020/21

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
With no or severely reduced crowds surely they need to give fans the chance to watch games on TV.

Once you lift something like this it will be very hard to put it back in place.

They should just lift it anyway. Its ridiculous that football is stuck in the dark ages with stuff like this.

They should just lift it anyway. Its ridiculous that football is stuck in the dark ages with stuff like this.

It serves a serious purpose which is supporting smaller clubs who survive on crowds and also encourages people to actually play football as well.

The game should survive based on fan attendance not a TV audience.

I do think with the online rise it’s basically impossible to police the illegal streams so it’s time to accept they can’t win and lift the ban. It’s already seeing its impact reduced by so many games being moved for TV.

One solution could be change the PL kick off times to avoid the 3pm slot to encourage fans to support local clubs.

It serves a serious purpose which is supporting smaller clubs who survive on crowds and also encourages people to actually play football as well.

The game should survive based on fan attendance not a TV audience.

I do think with the online rise it’s basically impossible to police the illegal streams so it’s time to accept they can’t win and lift the ban. It’s already seeing its impact reduced by so many games being moved for TV.

One solution could be change the PL kick off times to avoid the 3pm slot to encourage fans to support local clubs.
Not sure how that works, to what extent do you change it? to 6PM!
How about change local clubs kick off times instead to avoid the 3pm slot.

I think that's a really good idea. Kind of like what they do with American football. Move PL games to like 6pm or 7pm on a Saturday.

And will the clubs pay the hotel bills for the travelling away fans, or is travelling to away games to become a thing of the past. Just have home fans!

Not sure how that works, to what extent do you change it? to 6PM!
How about change local clubs kick off times instead to avoid the 3pm slot.

It’s tough as you don’t want to make it to hard for fans especially away fans maybe 1pm and 5.30pm.

The 5.30pm one is tough for away fans as normally trains on the weekend are done by 8pm.

I just think having all PL games that are live opens up so many possibilities. They'd have to find a fair way to do it of course but if they could of really could become a spectacle.

I just think having all PL games that are live opens up so many possibilities. They'd have to find a fair way to do it of course but if they could of really could become a spectacle.

At what cost though?

The football pyramid is something all football fans in the UK are proud of my local team survives on crowds of 3-4K a week without that income they are dead if you put PL games on when they play overtime that crowd will reduce. Getting people to go to football or play football is much more important that getting people to watch football.

That’s why they have to avoid the 3pm slot I’d suggest an earlier start than a later one but that doesn’t always work for away fans which needs a lot more consideration when tv schedules are being set.

It's true

I always used to go to my local club.

But I never had Sky etc so It would have made no diffeence to me. I guess in my youth I would have spent all Saturday in the pub.

As it stands this hasn’t been lifted so 40% of this seasons premier league games will not be on TV even though it remains very unlikely that grounds will be fully open by the end of this season.

All of Septembers games will be shown on TV just announced

Think it makes sense todo it step by step while crowd restrictions are in place.

Saturday and Sunday are ridiculous with every game being shown and now not being fully spaced out through the week 12:30, 15:00, 17:30, 20:00 on Saturday and 12:00, 14:00, 16:30, 19:00 on Sunday.

Changing kick off times I guess isn't really a problem with fans not attending as it doesn't really mess with travel/hotel arrangements.

Probably helps with the negotiations over that rebate for last season the TV companies want.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back