0​
0​
0​

Previous Seasons
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2017/18
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Manchester United - 19th August 2019

He is an uninspiring impact sub. I’m struggling to think of an occasion when he’s made a difference from the bench. I’m sure there will be the odd occasion.

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Manchester United - 19th August 2019

He is an uninspiring impact sub. I’m struggling to think of an occasion when he’s made a difference from the bench. I’m sure there will be the odd occasion.

I agree he's a guy who tends to perform when he starts games rather than turn a game off the bench.

He came on so late it was hard to really make much of an impact but he was poor when he came on had a chance to put someone through and completely fluffed the pass.

Said in the summer I'd have let him go

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Leicester City - 14th September 2019

Slow, weak and it appears his legs are going/have gone.

I agree. Gomes I believe has to be phased in.

I think if Gomes proves himself in the midweek games he will get in ahead of Mata as we know Mata is on the way out Mata needs to be in a team that dominates the ball at his age I really think his days in the PL are numbered.

I felt in the summer they should have let him go but if he went a replacement was required and with no CL money its clear budget was limited this season.

I like Mata but I think he has had his day

Always felt he was a square peg for a round hole at Utd.

Signed when we didn’t need by a number 10 by a manager who was sacked 3 months later, I don’t think LVG really had a position for him but he thrived in that right forward role under LVG but we know he wasn’t a Jose player.

He was a proper panic buy the second of the Woodward era.

Without a replacement we do need him this season but we should have moved him on by now been here 5.5 years and never looked anywhere near the player he was at chelsea... not all his fault but he’s only survived because of the constant change of management.

Europa League: AZ Alkmaar 0-0 Manchester United - 3rd October 2019

I don’t see the point anymore.

I think he needs a go and play in a side that dominates a weaker league a team like us will never get much out of him as we don't dominate the ball enough and for Mata to useful you need the ball all the time.

He'd probably look a million dollars playing for Celtic or someone like that.

I do believe that to some extent the game has moved on from players like him even the more technical players now have to be quick and aggressive something Mata has never really been.

Keeping him was a cheaper solution than replacing him which seems to have dictated a lot of decisions in the last 12 months when it came to handing out new contracts.

I see little point in playing him ahead of someone like Gomes as a number 10

Europa League: Partizan Belgrade 0-1 Manchester United - 24th October 2019

No point.

I think they might try to sell him in January he was given that new deal probably to protect his transfer value but I'm not really sure where he'd go I don't think China really appeals to him, MLS won't pay a transfer fee so it's really clubs with a bit of money who feel they need a bit of experience who might think about him.

He needs to be playing in a dominant team that has a lot of the ball.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 Partizan Belgrade - 7th November 2019

His best performance of the season.

His legs are clearly gone.

Yeah just kind of summed him up still got the touch and the weight of pass and vision but he’s weak, slow and runs out of steam.

Hard to understand why he got a new deal I wonder if it will be a Fellaini situation new deal then sold 6 months later.

Just struggling to see where he goes from here as the PL just isn’t the place for him.

I think united see him staying in another role, it's the only reason I can see for his new deal.

Think Ole just wanted a few good examples in the dressing room for the younger generation same with Young really guys who might be at the end of the career and a bit of a spent force but they set a good example of how to conduct yourself.

Apart from Europa League it's hard to really see where he gets games but I guess with a thin squad we kind of need a few senior boys who can go in with the kids in those sort of matches.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Aston Villa - 1st December 2019

It's like playing with 10 men.

He's not been good enough for a long time. Nice guy apparently but he's not good enough.

I think this season he's really gone off the cliff in terms of performance level physically he just can't handle it any more he's to slow and to weak for this league.

He's one of the 3 number 10's at the club who all need to be shifted in the summer the only one who might have a future is Lingard if he can find some form he's probably ok as a squad player but there should be a lot of better players ahead of him.

This season bud really?

We all know he's been declining but I do think this year is where he's gone from someone you can rely on to come in and out every now and again to someone who just can't handle it anymore bit like Neville when he played that one game and everyone including him knew it was time to retire.

Apparently he took a pay cut to stay in a reduced capacity but I do think the club were just holding off on making a tough decision if Ole wanted to play 4-2-3-1 this season then signing a quality number 10 was vital.

FA Cup vs Wolves

Another night where he did absolutely nothing highlight was almost scoring a free kick but really shouldn’t be anywhere near our first team he needs to be moved on in the summer and a proper number 10 signed if we are sticking to this formation.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Norwich City - 11th January 2020

Two assists and a good performance.

He's better on the right and given freedom to road than he is at 10.

It’s norwich who are a championship level side.

I like him as a person but as a footballer this version of Mata serves no purpose at the club and needs to move on as he’s just not at this level anymore.

It would be ok if he could be an impact player but Mata I’ve always felt is better when he starts games when he comes on as a sub he rarely has an impact.

Been a god servant but time was up on him probably 18 months ago and it’s certainly up now.

FA Cup: Manchester United 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 15th January 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How he is being used right now is absolutely the correct way. He has been very good in the past two games and provided that little bit of quality against teams who sit back. His goal last night was great and his assist against Norwich was brilliant. Also the through ball to James last night which Ruddy saved was world class.

His legs have gone but on the ball he is still quality.

Lovely finish and a great ball from Martial. Mata must be a great Influence for the younger players and for that alone I'd keep him around.

Do you think we've maybe put him in the shop window a bit to see if anyone bites?

Assuming Bruno comes surely Mata becomes surplus to requirements.

More likely scenario is injuries and the heavy schedule have forced us to use the full extent of the squad but you can still see the quality is there just physically he can't hack it even last night 2 or 3 times in good positions he's just pushed off the ball as he just can't compete against a guy who's 6ft and probably 2 or 3 stone heavier than him.

He'll always be a player who I think we could and maybe should have seen much more from but he just never really fit in with any of the managers we had best season was probably that first season under LVG when he started playing the false 7 as LVG would call it basically a free role from the right of the front 3.

If Bruno Fernandes came to the club and did in 2 games what mata has done what a player he would be , shame mata can’t do it every week

This guy is finished he can’t run absolutely miles off the pace can still play when given time but he can’t compete under any sort of pressure.

Should give him a free transfer back to Spain in the summer if someone takes on his wages.

This guy is finished he can’t run absolutely miles off the pace can still play when given time but he can’t compete under any sort of pressure.

Should give him a free transfer back to Spain in the summer if someone takes on his wages.

He should have gone last season, he looks so off the pace and he actually looks old next to the other lads haha

Two assists against LASK and another put on a plate for Martial.

I'm not going to bore you on why I think assists are literally the most useless stat in football but yeah he got two assists but on both goals the scorer did the vast majority of the work.

He just can't play in a front line that moves quickly he's pushed around way to easily and he can't sprint into space the teams just moved on from him and I think it is time for him to move on.

We're in Champions League next season so there won't be teams like LASK to play him in.

I think Mata is there for what offers off the pitch more than on it. I see him staying on at the club after his playing finally stops.

I'm not interested in the financials particularly but to have this guy just to be an influence in the changing room on £150k plus a week is a little unreasonable. There are players in their prime such as a Bruno type who come in and be a leader on the pitch as well as off it. This is something we have been lacking in for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back