Top Utd transfer targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Warrior

If it was me I'd be looking for 3 players, a RF, CDM and CB for next season. I think it's nailed on that Sancho is the top RF target. Who else do you think will be on the radar?

We've heard Grealish for months and more recently Van Der Beek who is vaguely similar player that we could get for a lot less money than Grealish but these guys clearly aren't CDM's.

I can't really think of an available/decent enough CB other than Koulibally who looks like he is going to City (which is odd at 29)

So what other positions do you think we need to strengthen and who will be in the mix?

I think we need a striker that’s going to bully defenders and is good in the air.

I know it’s not typically used in today’s game but we still get down the wings often and whip in crosses. A last half hour striker when we need something different and through the middle isn’t helping would be useful.

Absolute must is a RF, would be nice to get a CB and LB then it would be another centre mid and a striker.

Ighalo has plugged a gap for us short term but we need more quality off the bench and Matic has rediscovered form but he can’t be expected to play every game next season.

surely the LB position is already well stocked with Shaw and Williams?

surely the LB position is already well stocked with Shaw and Williams?

Not really sold on either of them think both are decent back ups not starting quality for a side going for titles I’d be happy selling Shaw if we could find a better option.

I think Williams is useful as he can surely play both sides as he’s right footed.

I like Williams but I think he's 2 or 3 years off being a top fullback yet. Very rough around the edges and too rash in the challenge. But i'd not put a LB at the top of the pile for what we need. Carry on with Shaw until Williams is ready to take over.

I think these are gettable.
Nathan Ake for CB rotation. Bournemouth went down, he should be available relatively cheap.
Jimenez for off the bench when we need something different and direct. He would leave Wolves for a support role at United.
Wondering if Danny Ings also might fill that role. He's 28 and bangs 'em in for fun. He could fill a Sheringham type of role. Both Jimenez and Ings are pushing 30 but are proven goal scorers. Strikers lose a step at this age and for both of them it would not only prolong their career but also provide the only real chance for winning trophies they'll ever get.
Sancho.

Yea, we never seem to get anything or anyone on the end of crosses / set pieces / corners.
Bially at one time was showing potential for g
Not really sold on either of them think both are decent back ups not starting quality for a side going for titles I’d be happy selling Shaw if we could find a better option.

I think Williams is useful as he can surely play both sides as he’s right footed.
Which is indeed his weakness when playing on the left causing him repeatedly stop and play square passes rather than attack the wing. An are he may improve with time admittedly.
But I agree, i am not sure about Shaw and we should make a move if the right man became available (not given much thought as to who)

I'm not over the moon about Shaw but I actually think we missed him as he works quite well with Rashford. Is this maybe why Rashford looked so poor? Food for thought. I do think we have more important positions to fill. LB can wait a season.

Ole certainly has a big decision to make regarding DDG as well but just the fact we wont be able to shift him due to wages (yet again) maybe be decision made for him to stay.

Who could fill CDM or CB as a starting role? Matic and Lindeloff as back up for next season would work.

At 35 we could get Ronaldo for a song. He would be a great 45 - 60 min player for 35 games a season across all comps and I think he would appreciate that.

I’d have agreed if we didn’t get Champions League. Now we’ve got Chanpions league and a feel good factor I think we’ll get all 3. A right winger, CB and DM.

Yea, we never seem to get anything or anyone on the end of crosses / set pieces / corners.
Bially at one time was showing potential for g

Which is indeed his weakness when playing on the left causing him repeatedly stop and play square passes rather than attack the wing. An are he may improve with time admittedly.
But I agree, i am not sure about Shaw and we should make a move if the right man became available (not given much thought as to who)

Just think Shaw is an ok defender who offers nothing going forward gets in good positions but never scores and rarely delivers good balls in. We did miss him when he got injured but we were playing half fit Fosu-Mensah and Williams.

The right foot for Williams is a big problem means he can’t go outside which means he clogs up Rashford’s space you need your full backs wide unless you have proper wingers.

The obvious one within prem is Chilwell but he’d cost a fortune and isn’t proven enough at the very top level which is the CL so you’d need to be very confident in your scouting. Sounds like both Chelsea and City fancied him.

I thought shaw did pretty well attacking wise particularly after lockdown. Constantly getting passed rashford.

Shaw is fine for me, I think he is a very good defender actually and this sometimes gets overlooked by fans just saying he’s okay. Sure his attacking work needs to improve but before he got injured he was doing some great work alongside Rashford. I think there are far more pressing areas before looking at our left back. Shaw as number one and Williams as back up is fine for me. There has been talk about the young Sporting left back Mendes but I think he’s only 18 so would be one of those signings that is getting done because he is supposedly a red hot talent.

I thought shaw did pretty well attacking wise particularly after lockdown. Constantly getting passed rashford.
Agree with this, but it's taken him a long time to get to this point. He needs to carry this form on and improve on it as he could still do better. I still feel a lot of the 'old' squad have the LVG/Jose mentality of backwards and sidewards first that needs to be knocked out of them.

Shaw 156 games 1 goal 7 assists big chances created 14
Robertson 151 games 4 goals 32 assists big chances created 39

Wan Bissaka 77 games 0 goals 7 assists big chances created 8

No one is saying Shaw is cr*p just think he’s neither brilliant defensively or attacking wise I think we need more from our full backs going forward AWB has upped his game in that area Shaw I think hasn’t he gets into good positions but he rarely hurts the opponent.

If you’re looking at that left back spot and seriously looking to upgrade then it’s got to be Chilwell. Defensively he’s much better than Robertson and going forwards he’s a much bigger threat than Shaw.

a lot of Shaw stats will be under Jose who gave him hell if he went over the half way line

Shaw is ok, it's Williams I worry about. Chilwell would be a good buy.

a lot of Shaw stats will be under Jose who gave him hell if he went over the half way line

Shaw is ok, it's Williams I worry about. Chilwell would be a good buy.

Shaw was injured a lot under Jose so not really sure we can give him that big a pass.

Isn’t the point we are looking to go from ok to the next level to improve the team so you have to look at the weakest parts of the team which for me are RF, LB and CB.

Williams still has plenty to prove but I’m happy enough with him as right/left back cover next season I just think Shaw has had a long enough run now through last 2 seasons he’s an ok left back but never going to reach the very top.

Amazing how so many are suddenly writing off Brandon Williams, a 19 year old who was suddenly thrown in with the big boys and has performed admirably.

I like Brandon, bit raw but aggressive and definitely is better at going forward. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have an understanding with Rashford yet which Shaw seems to have as he is getting better going forward of late and over lapping well. I actually think Rashford suffered from this as Ole maybe asked him to play deeper due to Brandon playing behind him. If Shaw had of played Rashford would have been further up the pitch.

I actually think Rashford suffered from this as Ole maybe asked him to play deeper due to Brandon playing behind him. If Shaw had of played Rashford would have been further up the pitch.
That looked to be the case, certainly against Leicester but doesnt excuse Rashfords performances to be honest. Constantly giving the ball away with poor passing and at times unnecessary attempts at trickery.

Williams has done enough to be part of the squad next season for sure but still a lot to be done to get his game up to the very top level.

I'm not writing him off, jut not convinced by him yet.

If Chilwell is available I would defo go for him.

So apparently United aren't going after Grealish as they aren't sure he's a fit given the options they have in attack. Understandable given the price but I think its a sign the club are only likely to sign 1 or 2 players at most.

So apparently United aren't going after Grealish as they aren't sure he's a fit given the options they have in attack. Understandable given the price but I think its a sign the club are only likely to sign 1 or 2 players at most.
Wouldn’t necessarily say that but it’s more of a case we need to concentrate on other areas. I would say a centre back, central midfielder and right forward are more pressing than Grealish to be honest.

Wouldn’t necessarily say that but it’s more of a case we need to concentrate on other areas. I would say a centre back, central midfielder and right forward are more pressing than Grealish to be honest.
You may be right there but the attack lacks depth.

RF and CM are the priorities. We have decent CBs. Our defense is pretty solid, we need to upgrade the attack. I think we sign one name we know (Sancho), one that surprises us that he's still on the list (like Maddison), and a couple of youth.

Yeah we definitely need another striker without a doubt. Once Ighalo has gone in January we are very light and even before that we could do with another option off the bench.
We should take a punt on Edouard from Celtic. We could probably get him for 20m and there is every chance he could flourish with better players around him.

Scottish football isn’t one of my strong points. Leeds, Palace and Arsenal are the clubs rumoured to be interested in him. If £20m would be the asking price then that’s basically a give it a go and hope it works out fee now days for us. As I said the other day I’d like a cheap second option as a striker. Just looking at some YouTube videos of him and at 6’2’’ I’d be happy with a signing like that as the second option.

Up in Scotland do they rate him as highly as they did Moussa Dembele?

To be fair some the ones who’ve made moves south from Celtic have done well but none have them have gone straight to the sides who realistically challenge for titles.

So just what are United doing? I know it's very early days but other clubs have done business. Chelsea have done 2 deals and look likely to complete 2 more soon. City have completed 2 signings. Just seems in another crucial summer they are lagging behind.

Phil brown on twitter, who seems fairly clued up on United, seems to think it will be an underwhelming window. For about 4 years now we have sort of said this has been a really important window, and pretty much fallen slightly short on most of them. Hope this doesn't happen this window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back