Labour's New Leader

Shoot

Banned
A nice enough fella on the face of things and definitely well learned.
How'ever he has a big flaw.....
He refused to accept the results of the Brexit referendum, demanding a second referendum and therefore refusing to accept the democratic process. In fact, some of his Labour colleagues cited this as the reason why they so emphatically lost the last election.
It's also the reason he will never get my vote.

They lost the election because Corbyn just isn’t a guy you look at and see leadership he might have been saying all the right things but he was to easy a target for the media to take down.

Starmer won’t have much choice with brexit that will be a thing of the past when it comes to running for PM next time around he should be able to pick the tories apart over the next few years expose them to the public.

Post coronavirus it should be easy pickings for the Labour Party as the tories made a complete mess of this thing early on

The reason for Brexit being a major issue was because the party didn’t have a clear decision made. Corbyn sat on the fence as he’s always been pro Brexit and the party wanted to remain. It meant labour weren't seen as a leave or remain party. It was a shocking bit of mismanagement from Corbyn who needed to take a side and go with it.

I like the fact Starmer isn’t a career politician. Only retired 3 years ago. But a lot more to see from him yet.

Yeah it was a real problem for them they probably needed to go remain just to be against the tories and hope that they could unite the remain vote but they knew that would hurt them long term as a party. The tories has it easy they scooped up the leave voters in their droves and they knew the Tory retainers would stick with them as they had nowhere else to go.

The position they took was actually created by Starmer though so not really a good start for him.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So, he appoints Angela Rayner as his deputy!
A strange bag that. Leaves school at 16 up the duff with no qualifications and a hard line trade unionist?

Leaves school at 16 up the duff with no qualifications and a hard line trade unionist?

Wow, you're a compassionate soul.

It's not when or how you leave school that counts, but what you do with the rest of your life.

She views herself as on the soft left of the party, so fairly mainstream.

I bet all the poor sods in the gig economy would be grateful of some effective representation. Perhaps they could form a union or something.

Still, having thousands of working poor with no entitlement to sick pay or paid leave or guaranteed hours is a small price to pay to rid ourselves of the evils of unions. After all, if the shit hits the fan, the state can bail them out. No need to trouble the wealthy corporations.

When I saw the judgement of her having a child and leaving school I thought best to ignore it.

She can’t be a good politician she didn’t go to Harrow. It’s that attitude from the conservatives that anger people. Compassion is always sorely lacking. She’s in her 40’s but you want to judge her on something that happened over half her life ago.

My mum had me at 15. We were homeless lived at Waterloo station. She’s now a school teacher. Having a child young and leaving school doesn’t make you a failure for the rest of your life.

Wow, you're a compassionate soul.

I bet all the poor sods in the gig economy would be grateful of some effective representation. Perhaps they could form a union or something.

Still, having thousands of working poor with no entitlement to sick pay or paid leave or guaranteed hours is a small price to pay to rid ourselves of the evils of unions. After all, if the shit hits the fan, the state can bail them out. No need to trouble the wealthy corporations.
I am 1 of those and presently have little or no support offered from the Government.

When I saw the judgement of her having a child and leaving school I thought best to ignore it.

She can’t be a good politician she didn’t go to Harrow. It’s that attitude from the conservatives that anger people. Compassion is always sorely lacking. She’s in her 40’s but you want to judge her on something that happened over half her life ago.

My mum had me at 15. We were homeless lived at Waterloo station. She’s now a school teacher. Having a child young and leaving school doesn’t make you a failure for the rest of your life.
I don't know why you should ignore it. You need to understand that I didn't make any judgement. I simply made the statement that laid the foundation for you to offer your own views on the matter.

I would agree with you if your statement wasn't following this one 'A strange bag that....'

So you did make a judgement stop with this false narrative you try and create in your arguments. It's tiresome and childish.

And I don't see any negative impact of her having a child at 15 and going on to have a highly successful life still. Only positives, it probably means she can relate to most in this country a lot better than most politicians. So I wouldn't ignore it. However I think you probably relate to it with negative connotations hence your strange bag comments.

Well put it this way, if this Labour set up was in power and Starmer had to take leave, she would be running the country.
That tells me that Labour are in fact now weeker than they were before Starmer took charge.
No false narrative at all. And I am not having an argument.

Well put it this way, if this Labour set up was in power and Starmer had to take leave, she would be running the country.

Not correct. The Labour deputy leader's role when its leader is absent is to manage the election of the new leader, not assume the lead.

If Labour were in power, the interim PM would be a cabinet choice, same as it is for the Tories.

For example, Harriet Harmen, who was deputy leader of the Labour party when Gordon Brown took power, was not then appointed deputy PM.

Not correct. The Labour deputy leader's role when its leader is absent is to manage the election of the new leader, not assume the lead.

If Labour were in power, the interim PM would be a cabinet choice, same as it is for the Tories.

For example, Harriet Harmen, who was deputy leader of the Labour party when Gordon Brown took power, was not then appointed deputy PM.
I'm not sure your right on that one, do you have a source of confirmation? where have you got that from?
You appear to be suggesting that Starmer has appointed a Deputy PM to oversee the appointment of another Deputy PM should he be absent.
A Deputy PM is defined as follows:
A government minister who can take the position of acting prime minister when the prime minister is temporarily absent.

Boris Johnson did not appoint a Deputy PM, however as First Secretary of State Dominic Raab was appointed to deputise in his absence solely by Boris, not elected or chosen by the cabinet, that is evident in the fact that Raab is actually an unpopular choice within the Tory party.

The deputy leader of the Labour party is elected by Labour members and officials, not appointed by the leader of the party.

There is no constitutional link between being deputy leader of the Labour party and Deputy PM.

Starmer is free to choose his deputy PM. Another example, Brown, when chancellor, was the de facto deputy PM but he was not deputy leader of the Labour party.

Deputy leader of the Labour party is a party official. The deputy PM is a government official. The party and the government are not the same thing, as both May and Johnson found out.

Ah....... I been getting confused with Deputy Leader and Deputy PM.
However the role of First Secretary of State is usually considered the "de facto Deputy PM" and therefore Raab was effectively appointed as such by Boris.
In regards to the Labour situation, you were right and I was wrong. Thank god for that.

I vote Capitalism in 2006.

I didn't vote in 2010.

I vote Social Democrats in 2014.

I vote Swedish Democrats in 2018.

Then I vote in the EU election in 2019 but prefer not say the party.

So, Starmer strips ex Labour leader Corbyn of the whip as he refuses to accept the findings of the anti semitic enquiry.
He himself sat on Labours front bench for 5 years and said nothing. It could be a long road back for the Labour Party leaving the Torie's with no serious opposition.
No doubt there will now be a Labour Party internal war as Corbyn sets out to cause trouble.

I have to admit I’ve never been that in depth on the anti semitism issue within the Labour Party.

Is Corbyn accused of being anti Semitic or just turning a blind eye to the issue while he was in charge?

Not sure Starmer had much choice he couldn’t shy away from the reports findings and by not accepting the findings he has to be hard on Corbyn so suspending him is the right thing to do. This issue destroyed them at the last election it was such an easy stick for their opponents to beat them with.

Does seem like this could split the party up even more with the far left element splitting away from the more central element. They’ve already lost a lot of voters over Brexit and support in Scotland to SNP.

I have to admit I’ve never been that in depth on the anti semitism issue within the Labour Party.

Is Corbyn accused of being anti Semitic or just turning a blind eye to the issue while he was in charge?

Not sure Starmer had much choice he couldn’t shy away from the reports findings and by not accepting the findings he has to be hard on Corbyn so suspending him is the right thing to do. This issue destroyed them at the last election it was such an easy stick for their opponents to beat them with.

Does seem like this could split the party up even more with the far left element splitting away from the more central element. They’ve already lost a lot of voters over Brexit and support in Scotland to SNP.
Accused of being anti semitic and political interference by Corbyns office in the complaints process resulting in the breaking of equality law

I cant decide who is worse, Johnson or Corbin. Both are the offspring of Ronald McDonald.

Johnson has done a hideous job with Corona, I can't even begin to imagine what would be happening now if Corbin had been in charge.

Corbyn was so stitched up in the run up to the last election, complete hatchet job by the BBC and right wing media. He's not anti semitic nor are the Labour Party.

I cant decide who is worse, Johnson or Corbin. Both are the offspring of Ronald McDonald.

Johnson has done a hideous job with Corona, I can't even begin to imagine what would be happening now if Corbin had been in charge.
Well actually, a lot of what Corbyn was saying in the House of Commons before the virus arrived on our shores indicates that he'd have handled it a lot better. He kept stressing the need to test, test, test, Boris was walking around shaking hands on hospital wards, leaving schools open longer than anywhere in Europe and allowed Champions league games and the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead with full spectators when the virus had community spread. It would be hard to handle Covid worse than the Tories have lol.

Is there someone else, anywhere, who by your determination has done a good job with corona?

So they are smarter and cleaner than us.
It stands to reason if you change yer underpants every day you will more likely use your mask only once before washing or discaring should it be single use, or discarding them with your underpants if they are single use or otherwise contaminated

Also unsure how Kier Starmer taking no rubbish and dealing with issues in the party is seen as a bad point. Boris could learn a lot from his actions. But instead he'll allow people to continue to break Covid rules and suffer no punishment.

I think the conservatives are in for a shock when they realise how much the nation is full of hatred for them at the moment and their awful term so far.

There is a reason the bookies have the odds down to 5/6 for labour next election when it was 12/1 4 months ago

There are a couple of countries in Africa, the names escape me, who have done extraordinarily well controlling it apparently

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back