Coronavirus

So the thinking of hot temps might calm it down aren't the case?

Been told to work from home for next 2 weeks reducing the number of staff on sites to try and keep production going but feels like it's a staged shut down of everything to try and ease the imminent strain on health services.

My guess is by end of the week schools will be closing which will force a lot of businesses to follow and we will end up in similar situation to other nations.

I guess with any new virus until they have results they can't really determine what it will do we all know flu is more active in winter than summer so they assume this virus will follow the same pattern but they don't know that for sure. They know it isn't particularly lethal but they don't know if you develop natural immunity to it after 1 case or if it leaves any lasting respiratory issues.

Fair play to the Tories yesterday that new chancellor was exactly what people needed to hear which was reassurance from a financial point of view that businesses/jobs will be protected so when things can go back to normal jobs will still be there. I do think the government now need to issue policy that closes cafes/pubs/bars/restraurants etc to allow them to get protection from their insurance before they bleed out.

Everyone being told to work from home isn't really a long term solution might get through this week but you already see people having to go to cafes etc to get access to internet etc.

It's such a strange thing because we all learned about these viruses and plagues that wiped out millions of people 100's of years ago and never thought it could happen to us but it does feel like it's happening it's crazy how quickly this thing spreads and while we will no doubt get it under control a lot of people around the world won't survive it. Just makes you appreciate how fragile this whole planet is and I hope that the realisation of that might help change it for the better.

It's such a strange thing because we all learned about these viruses and plagues that wiped out millions of people 100's of years ago and never thought it could happen to us but it does feel like it's happening it's crazy how quickly this thing spreads and while we will no doubt get it under control a lot of people around the world won't survive it. Just makes you appreciate how fragile this whole planet is and I hope that the realisation of that might help change it for the better.

I find it even crazier that we haven't given it any though considering how globalised the world is now. Back then it would have taken weeks/months to get to some countries by boat, but now I think you can literally get anywhere in the world by plane in less than a day? The world is more interconnected than ever and there's more people here than ever before as well. Surely viruses like this can spread at a speed they couldn't back then. I suppose it goes both ways though and being able to see what other countries are doing to deal with it helps massively and puts pressure on others. I guess we also have much medical equipment and knowledge as well though, as they were relatively clueless in times such as the black plague. I do agree though, I would like to see some good comes out of all this.

One of the most important things needs to be an increase in statutory sick pay - you cannot be punished for doing the right thing and self isolating. You may not even be sick but a member of your household may be. And if you are just getting £94 a week bills could mount up. They have legislated that you get SSP from day one but it isn’t enough.

One of the most important things needs to be an increase in statutory sick pay - you cannot be punished for doing the right thing and self isolating. You may not even be sick but a member of your household may be. And if you are just getting £94 a week bills could mount up. They have legislated that you get SSP from day one but it isn’t enough.

I think provisions will be imminent for covering peoples mortgage/rent/utility bills etc if we go into full lockdown.

At the moment we aren't being told not to go to work we're being told to work from home where possible by arrangement with your employer.

Now for the self employed and gig economy who aren't entitled to sick pay if they don't go to work that's a whole other story that they need to get on top of but my guess is the reason it hasn't been done is that from Sunday it'll be full lockdown and there will be some sort of cover all legislation put in place.

There's quite a lot to get through and put in place but with markets crashing they need to safe guard the businesses who pay our wages first then work out how we all survive financially over the next few months.

Glastonbury cancelled.

Schools in Wales and Scotland to close this week

I assume the PM will announce the same in England & Northern Ireland in tonights briefing.

I think provisions will be imminent for covering peoples mortgage/rent/utility bills etc if we go into full lockdown.

At the moment we aren't being told not to go to work we're being told to work from home where possible by arrangement with your employer.

Now for the self employed and gig economy who aren't entitled to sick pay if they don't go to work that's a whole other story that they need to get on top of but my guess is the reason it hasn't been done is that from Sunday it'll be full lockdown and there will be some sort of cover all legislation put in place.

There's quite a lot to get through and put in place but with markets crashing they need to safe guard the businesses who pay our wages first then work out how we all survive financially over the next few months.
I think eventually we will be in full on lockdown mode like you say. They would then need to push through legislation that helps businesses survive because small local businesses without any support are just going to go under. Even my company who are multi-national are worried about the markets and how it could effect them in the short and long term. Imagine how your local greengrocer or butcher is feeling.

The cases are mounting up and that’s just the ones that have been tested, that figure would rise exponentially if everyone was tested. A lot of people are just gonna recover at home and not be part of any statistic. We need to implement some kind of lockdown scenario, we need to cut the head off this thing.

I think eventually we will be in full on lockdown mode like you say. They would then need to push through legislation that helps businesses survive because small local businesses without any support are just going to go under. Even my company who are multi-national are worried about the markets and how it could effect them in the short and long term. Imagine how your local greengrocer or butcher is feeling.

The cases are mounting up and that’s just the ones that have been tested, that figure would rise exponentially if everyone was tested. A lot of people are just gonna recover at home and not be part of any statistic. We need to implement some kind of lockdown scenario, we need to cut the head off this thing.

Yep we are through 100 cases now all the trends show it'll keep growing quickly as like you say they haven't even tried to test people the number of unconfirmed cases could be 10 times the number of confirmed cases.

That's the scary thing some people have tested positive and never shown symptoms but as far as we know they can still spread the virus to others who it may be critical.

I had to ring my parents the other day and tell them I won't be coming round until we're told it's safe they're only just in their 60's but Mum has had a few health problems in the past nothing to be worried about like but just can't take the risk. They seem totally oblivious to the risk but think it's starting to hit home to them as well.

It may not seem like it but governments have always had plans for this sort of thing which is why I think we're seeing most countries follow the same trend you can't just shut everything down over night it has to be done slowly.

With no vaccine imminent lockdowns will only do so much to contain it we will remain defenceless to it unless you build a natural immunity it would seem the lockdowns will be more frequent.

Word is the schools once they close will not realistically re-open until the new school year

Yep we are through 100 cases now all the trends show it'll keep growing quickly as like you say they haven't even tried to test people the number of unconfirmed cases could be 10 times the number of confirmed cases.

That's the scary thing some people have tested positive and never shown symptoms but as far as we know they can still spread the virus to others who it may be critical.

I had to ring my parents the other day and tell them I won't be coming round until we're told it's safe they're only just in their 60's but Mum has had a few health problems in the past nothing to be worried about like but just can't take the risk. They seem totally oblivious to the risk but think it's starting to hit home to them as well.

It may not seem like it but governments have always had plans for this sort of thing which is why I think we're seeing most countries follow the same trend you can't just shut everything down over night it has to be done slowly.

With no vaccine imminent lockdowns will only do so much to contain it we will remain defenceless to it unless you build a natural immunity it would seem the lockdowns will be more frequent.

Word is the schools once they close will not realistically re-open until the new school year
Yep I think you just have to be smart about this. Like we were having a Mother’s Day family gathering on Sunday but now we’ve said that it’s probably not the best idea because of the grandparents and parents being over 60. It’s unfortunate but I don’t think there is any point taking unnecessary risks at this stage.

I don’t think the government have done a bad job about this at all once they started introducing measures but they should have been more proactive for sure.

Its so sad seeing the death toll rise. Also imagine those people who have to be self isolated and essentially die alone - it’s horrible.

Italy had 475 deaths in the last 24 hours. I presume they have similar measures as we’ve got but it doesn’t seem to be relenting over there.

The sad thing is looking at the numbers in Italy is basically a glimpse into the future there's nothing to suggest what we're doing here will result in anything different they have a similar population size everything where we are now will be where we are in 2 weeks time.

Anyone whose interested. Football Manager is free to play until March 25th.

I know it’s common sense but in times like this listen to the government and NHS not random articles on social media.

At times like this you have to trust government knows best if they ask you to stay home then stay home before they force you to do it.

Seeing groups of people still in pubs and bars is laughable stop going so staff can go home and the government need to quickly get provisions in place so those forced to stay home and unable to work can get access to what they need to survive.

If they force people instead of ‘ask’ them too then people can claim. And until they do that they’ve let the nation down by asking.

Compare this to Frances response and then realise the government isn’t acting in the best response for us with the current tone.

I believe Fullers have closed their bars. At least my two local ones are shut saying they’ve been told to.

Star Pubs have said there’ll be no rent charges for their tenants for March and April.

I am already fairly bored. Unusual for me to ever spend a night in. I play Darts, Poker, Football Tue-Thurs all of which are currently cancelled.

you've got to stay in. Although Italy had their highest deaths in a day yesterday, they had their lowest new hospital omitions. Those photo's of people in pubs is a bit shameful.

i think Macron has handled this very well, he's gone from havig no chance of re-election to probably getting back in. Solid firm leadership.

Yeah I think the Italian deaths will go down but before the lockdown there was so many people in critical condition. I think once their two week period of lockdown is up then you will see cases and deaths go down there. Got to find any crumb of positivity out there at the moment!

Just read that Italy are close to becoming the country with the most reported deaths ahead of China with 475 deaths in the last 24 hours

They have extended their lockdown.

EU Brexit negotiator also has it that whole Brexit thing needs to be nipped in the bud quickly just extend the period to get a deal until end of next year agree on both sides that things carry on as normal during this testing period.

Boris said yesterday there will be no extension during his press conference.

I know he did but things are changing daily they obviously don't need to worry about this now there's more important things to sort out but I'd say in a few weeks they'll be putting something through to extend it as lets face it we won't be doing any travelling around Europe for a few months.

Everyone at this time needs to be focusing on getting things back to normal sorting out a new trade deal to be honest can wait.

This will be a real test of leaders like Trump & Boris as now is not the time for politics it's about making sure as many people as possible survive this outbreak.

Boris said yesterday there will be no extension during his press conference.

he said no school closures about 2 days ago. Also said herd mentality was teh way forward until it was proven 250,000 would die.

Boris is not performing very well, he's a laughing stock here

he said no school closures about 2 days ago. Also said herd mentality was teh way forward until it was proven 250,000 would die.

Boris is not performing very well, he's a laughing stock here

I actually think he's doing alright he slipped up last week with the herd immunity stuff but I think that was just him going out because he had to say something I believe behind the scenes there's a much more strategic plan than we are seeing but things are changing slowly to limit panic and allow necessary industries to get themselves in check. He's just communicating the advice he's given if he's given bad advice then he looks a tit but the important thing now is follow the advice of experts not people with agendas.

Schools were always going to close he knew that we knew that but they needed to put together a plan some kids need caring for as parents are still required to go to work. School buildings basically sound like they're about to become glorified day care centres for those kids who can't stay home and my guess is they'll try and put all these kids into one school allowing more to close fully.

One thing that the Government can't expect is for people to keep paying their childcare. My niece's nursury cost is £969 a month for 3 days a week. She's got to stop working as she needs to keep my niece at home now that the Nursury is closed. But received an email from the Nursury saying insurance wont be paying for this close and that parents are still expected to pay their fees.

So the thinking of hot temps might calm it down aren't the case?
No not at all - it might just slow it down but HWO sad there's no guarantee that will happen. We get flu here all times of the year so why not coronavirus? We have 9 confirmed cases so far - all imported.

One thing that the Government can't expect is for people to keep paying their childcare. My niece's nursury cost is £969 a month for 3 days a week. She's got to stop working as she needs to keep my niece at home now that the Nursury is closed. But received an email from the Nursury saying insurance wont be paying for this close and that parents are still expected to pay their fees.

My suggestion in that case would be don't pay and deal with the repercussions at a later date no court is going to rule in their favour given current circumstances. If you close your business and stop providing the service you suffer the consequence not your customer they broke the contract not you. If you pull your kids out of childcare that you've signed up then the shoe is on the other foot you probably have to pay up in accordance with the cancellation policy.

The government will inevitably step in and help the nursery survive through these times as they've already committed to doing it's vital the nursery staff aren't left out of pocket.

I'd say the nursery has jumped the gun probably due to staffing issues

Looks like I’m in for 7 days of self isolating a cough that developed yesterday has worsened and while other symptoms are yet to appear got to follow the guidance.

Is reporting on death tolls something you enjoy? your making a habit of it :confused:

He's adding fact's to a thread labelled Coronavirus. We're all discussing it here why wouldn't you add something like that to the conversation? I know I sent a similar message to my group chat when the news came through. Isn't enjoying it's just being shocked by the magnitude of it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back