UK General Election

Historically I’d always vote labour but I find the party’s move further left moves them away from my slightly left of centre position and I just don’t see Corbyn as a credible PM.

The whole brexit thing has massively turned me off politics the way our politicians behave disgusts me and the Torres need to own how f*cked up things are right now in the UK. We’ve never been more divided not just as people but also the 4 nations that make up the union.

It just feels like we have so many growing problems that are being left to get worse while everything is focused on Brexit.

The Tories always win our seat my a huge margin so does feel my vote is basically pointless.

I’m a labour supporter. But I can’t vote labour with Corbyn in charge.

I also think it’ll be a disgrace to democracy if we don’t leave the EU so I’m torn about where I stand.

Much like JSP I live in a Tory stronghold think it was 88% last time around so it doesn’t really matter for me.

I really don’t know who to vote for. I have switched off from it all to be honest. Although, I will vote

I am traditionally a labour voter in a labour stronghold. Like most people it seems voting for Corbyn will be tough. I think it will be a late decision for me.

If I could, I'd vote green, that's who I voted last time I was in the UK

This is what I mean with the whole Brexit thing it's become so dominating in politics because people assumed it was going to be a lot easier than it actually is and the way it's been done is ridiculous. Let's be honest the only reason we had a referendum in the first place was because the tories were so confident that remain would win there was absolutely no plan in place for what to do if leave won.

The vote was the vote and I agree we have to respect that (personally I don't think we should have referendums in a democracy) but why they tried to rush it was just mad. The referendum should have been the first of a few once we decided to leave the people should have been asked do they want to attempt to leave with a trade deal or do they want no deal. Then once we knew the answer to that we then start that whole article 50 process with the EU instead we rushed in with no plan we then keep changing the plan because our parliament remains split on Brexit. It's quite obvious that Brexit means different things to different people so you're never going to get any deal through a parliament because it wasn't a landslide win for one side it was marginal. An MP for a remain constituency has to respect their constituents will to remain that's their job as the MP to represent their people not the nation.

It's just been so draining it's cost the country vital time and money trying to sort it out and I'm basically at the point where it's pretty much impossible they should go back to the people and say the question is now remain as we were or no deal trying to get a deal agreed with the EU is impossible because of the issue with Irish borders which wasn't even discussed before the referendum.

Remain shouldn’t be on the table. If the vote was made like a general election and counted constituencies leave would have won with a whopping 164 seat majority.

The biggest problem wasn’t the government it was the remain side not accepting the vote and putting up opposition to every single option available until we were backed so far in to a corner it was impossible to deal with the EU.

No the issue is there was no plan for what to do if people voted leave when the result came in then the planning started they shouldn't have started the whole article 50 process until they came up with a proper plan.

As I said the referendum should have been a 2 stage process vote one leave or remain if we vote leave then stage 2 is do we attempt to leave with a deal or leave with no deal. Then we don't have all this will of the people cr*p because some people who voted Brexit want to leave with a deal and some don't. Not even going to go into the lies that were told by both sides that will have affected the way everyone voted this is why I think referendum's are nonsense as they can't be undone if a politician lies and gets in they're gone a few years later.

We've gone through 3 PM's in 3 years, god knows how many ministers, we're now on our 2nd election in 3 years and we've changed our position on Brexit god knows how many times in the negotiation.

I think we're now at the point where as a country we have to accept a deal is basically impossible so it should be back to the polls and we decide we either stay as it is or we go with no agreement and stop wasting time.

Back on actual politics of the general election my biggest problem with politics right now is the non stop b*llshit we get from every party promoting themselves and the way they promote themselves by attacking the opposition. It's becoming a race to the bottom lies are allowed to be told and there's no accountability.

I think the problem with the Brexit vote is the margin, I can't remember the figures but les say it 52/48. It looks like from here, the 48 are just ignored, that's still a huge amount of the population.

To me it says the Brexit deal should have been a bit softer. But I agree the vote should be upheld.

What I don't like about this general election, is the Tories saying no to a referendum on their deal, like they are some bastion of democracy, when this election is a Brexit referendum. And some people are going to be forced to vote Tory because of their Brexit position, but then put up with another 4 years of Tory rule. The general politics are not really a deciding factor here. And I find that pretty disgusting.

The tory party is just getting more and more right wing and Boris Johnson is just so untrustworthy. You are in a sad position where you can no longer look at America and mock their leader. BJ is just a bad.

I think this GE is a sad day for the UK.

They should have had a vote on the deal/no deal/no brexit (which is what this is) and then had an election on how you want the country to be run.

It's going to be tory rule through the back door.

And as for labour, if they had anyone but Corbyn they would win. How they can't see that nobody will vote him is odd. And it works the same, in ths election, some people will feel they need to vote labour for their Brexit view, but not like their general policies.

It's not really a general election.

I think the problem with the Brexit vote is the margin, I can't remember the figures but les say it 52/48. It looks like from here, the 48 are just ignored, that's still a huge amount of the population.

Ignore the 52% instead then? It doesn’t matter if it was 50.01% 49.99% it was a yes/no vote with a final answer. To not follow through on that means an end to democracy.

People like to dress it up and say this that and the other but all you’re doing is saying anyone that lives in England but outside of London is thick. Follow through with what the vote was about.

I actually think we’ll probably see the biggest riots since the 70’s after this. And it’s a massive shame. If it was 52/48 remain it would have been done with and forgot about.

I can’t understand anyone advocating their government ignoring a majority vote.

I like the fact the tories are saying no to another referendum. If Labour followed suit I’d vote labour inspite of Corbyn. Unfortunately I cannot follow a leader that doesn’t believe in the votes of the people.

Less than 50% of the electorate voted to leave.

To date there has not been a cogent, convincing and honest answer to the question of how leaving will make our country better.

I hope the architects of Brexit and those who support it get judged by history in the harshest manner.

You reap what you sow.

Less than 50% of the electorate voted to leave.

This is an argument I can also never understand. It also means less than 50% of the electorate chose to remain. It was the highest turnout for a vote in decades. You can’t just add those that didn’t vote to the remain figure. There was nothing specified that either side had to reach a certain number of votes for it to trigger a win.

And that is the problem with a referendum it should never be a 50/50 situation win or lose you should need to get a clear majority for example 2/3 support to make a big change to an entire country and forget the whole England thing this isn't an England thing it's a UK thing you need to consider the impact to Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland. Then there's this whole thing about it being advisory and all that it was just a stupid thing for the country to do especially at a time of austerity where people are frustrated with public services.

It's divided us as a country over an issue that up until about 2-3 years before the referendum no one actually gave a flying f*ck about.

I do think the leave campaign pushed certain buttons to trigger people and while I voted remain I accept we voted to leave but I think the way the whole thing has been managed over the last 3 years has shown we've rushed into it with no plan. Woodward would have done a better job that the people who've been trying to sort it out FFS.

Ignore the 52% instead then? It doesn’t matter if it was 50.01% 49.99% it was a yes/no vote with a final answer. To not follow through on that means an end to democracy.

If you read on, I did say that they needed to abide by the result. In my opinion, as the vote was so close, I don't think nearly 50% of the electorate should be ignored.
They should have had a referendum with Boris deal/softer norway deal/ no deal.

People like to dress it up and say this that and the other but all you’re doing is saying anyone that lives in England but outside of London is thick. Follow through with what the vote was about.
I don't think anything I said implied that

I like the fact the tories are saying no to another referendum. If Labour followed suit I’d vote labour inspite of Corbyn. Unfortunately I cannot follow a leader that doesn’t believe in the votes of the people.

Thats the point I was trying to make, the Tories are telling everyone they said no to a referundum, but that is exactly what this general election is, their lead line is get Brexit done. So people are votong on their Brexit position and not what they think of taxes, education, ecconomy etc. And you have proven this by saying you would vote labour if not for their Brexit position.

I think it's not right having a "general election" when it is in fact a "brexit referendum"

They should have run the referendum I noted above and then run a general election. People who believe in tory policies but want to stay will feel they can't vote tory, and people who believe in Labour policies but want to leave can't vote labour. Or done something else, which didn't mean the country's next four years of policies are based solely on people Brexit position.

I don't think it's right.

But I don't care, I don't live there :)

Oh I agree with that point. This is in no way a standard general election. Voting is going to be so far from what we expect as the norm.

I think labour are in major trouble and The tories could end up with a massive majority. Which is a real shame because everyone knows long term that isn’t good for the nation.

One thing the Tories have done is run a fantastic campaign smearing Labour over the last 10 years since they got back into power while labour has been a mess it's comical that the Tories talk about being strong and stable when they've had 3 leaders in 5 years, god knows how many ministers, people defecting to other parties, people kicked out of the party, no end of public scandal etc etc.

This is the worst time for Labour to be going harder to the left because they're going to lose all those middle ground voters that "new labour" attracted in the 90's. They've already lost loads of support in Scotland to the SNP and the Tories because of Brexit are now likely to take seats that have been labour for years and years because Labour has gone to far left.

The Tories are the worst people to be pushing through a leave deal because fundamentally they are a party that look after the 1% which means any deal is going to favour those who already wield power through wealth or status and those at the bottom of the pile are likely to feel the impact harder.

So the last 3 elections I've gone conservative. This year I'll be going Lib Dem as they've positioned themselves as the no Brexit party.

Lib Dems for me lost all credibility when they formed the co-alition with the Tories despite running a campaign that was fundamentally the opposition of what the tories wanted.

I voted for them in that election as I actually thought they were a party talking a lot of sense at the time but they sold everyone out when Clegg lined up with Cameron and forced austerity on to the UK.

I do think Lib Dems will get a lot of votes by default because a lot loathe Corbyn and also have lost faith in the Tories. That’s my kind of rationale at the moment.

We all know after the general election, Brexit is still not a foregone conclusion unless the winning PM can forge a good deal which May or Johnson didn’t succeed in.

All they have to do is get a deal through parliament in theory should the Tories get the overall majority then Boris's deal will get passed through parliament and put into law. While that doesn't mean that Brexit is done it does allow us to move on to the next part of the process.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is politics in a nut shell right now the reporting of it has become so biased depending on the agenda of the source.

I fully and unfortunately expect the conservatives to get a majority.

Tories are nailed on unfortunately. I think a lot will vote against them but those votes will be spread between the other parties so don’t actually think anyone will oust Boris. I most certainly didn’t vote for him.

they need to bring in PR, it's too easy for the big two with the current voting format.

I might have to uproot my family and move back, dependng on the Brexit you get :-(

My mrs is a teacher can't see her lasting an0ther 12 months in that job the cuts are brutal and they'll continue the next generation of kids are truly f*cked as the tories will underfund the schools for the poor and back more private schools and grammar schools to look after the elite that can afford them.

No more excuses for the tories 10 years in charge and they still get away with blaming labour for a worldwide banking collapse in 2008 the bankers have done a great job diverting attention away from them and on to the EU.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back