If not Solskjaer, then who?

Sideshow Bob

That time again I’m afraid...

Who would you like to replace Solskjaer if he resigns or is sacked?

I am going to put myself forward. After 44 years of watching United I believe they should now be paying me and I can't do much worse.
On a serious note I guess allegri is the available guy and poch may soon be available. However a bad as it is, and he may still end up being sacked, I feel ole deserves 2 more windows

You obviously can't know for certain but I suspect that within 12 months of appointing Howe we would all be calling for him to be sacked for having a small club mentality

That time again I’m afraid...

This. That time AGAIN. The short term thinking previously has got you nowhere you’re in the same boat and you want another manager sacked. When does it stop?

Howe, I was all for for Howe pre Ole. But if Ole is gettign stick, then so will he. Pointless appointment.

It's getting to the point our fans won't accept anyone except Pep or Klopp. Even they would probably get grief after a few bad games. Man Utd fans would probably be crying for Pep to go after two losses this season.

To be honest I can't see a natural successor out there. I don't know enough about allegri when it comes to rebuilding a team. Nobody else really available without taking a gamble.

If we sacked Ole tomorrow then whoever we appointed would be getting the same stick in six months. It’s not just the manager’s fault, the players are poor, the ones that have some talent seemed to have downed tools, the upper management is poor - I could go on and on. There will come to a point when the position for Ole becomes untenable.

This. That time AGAIN. The short term thinking previously has got you nowhere you’re in the same boat and you want another manager sacked. When does it stop?

Mourinho deserved to be sacked, as does Solskjaer.

This bunch of players arent great, nowhere near the level that you would expect of a Man United side anyway, but I honestly do not know what our game plan is week on week game by game, I dont see anything to be positive about in our performances.

I dont think we will be in the relegation scrap by any means, but our current league form is relegation worthy - for a team of our stature its just not acceptable. Blame has to be apportioned to a number of people, and Ole and the coaching staff have to take a chunk of that.

If the board arent 100% about Ole they arent going to give him Millions to spend in the windows, Jose got money initially but once the seed of doubt was there they didn't back him for the CB that he so desperately wanted. and we all know how it ended.

Ole being appointed permanently wasn't the right move, but how could anyone argue with the form that he brought to the table - it became a situation where you then couldn't not give him the job.

But why has it now gone so drastically downhill in a short space of time ? fitness levels ? lack of players incoming ? players that have left ? people playing out of position ? heads dropping ? coaching and tactics ? management credentials ?

They didn't have to give him the job. They could have waited until the end of the season and done their due diligence as they said they would. Yes lack of incoming players is certainly part of the issue. We need a minimum of 4 players coming in just to be challenging for top 4. This club has been badly mismanaged for a number of years now. I even wonder what manager would want to come to the club given the way the previous ones have been treated.

There are clearly a lot of problems at United from top to bottom. However, that does not exonerate Ole. His reign can’t continue

There are clearly a lot of problems at United from top to bottom. However, that does not exonerate Ole. His reign can’t continue
Precisely that! Ole isn't the biggest problem at the club but he also isn't good enough to stay.

Pochettino would be my choice still think he’s the right man for where we are right now but I don’t think he will be available until the summer at the earliest.

Allegri might have to be the guy as he’s on the market and Italian mangers are normally very good at working out the best ways to organise players to get results but would he be the right guy to rebuild I don’t think so.

If the club really want to sort it out pick up the phone to the guy running things behind the scenes at a club like Leipzig he’s put all the structure in place there and say look Utd is a mess we need you to come in here and put a structure in place that allows us to compete. They have a track record of signing top young talent and developing it while getting results and moving forward.

Always felt with Ole if you had to make the decision to appoint him in May would you have still appointed him? If he was sacked tomorrow would he get another job anywhere in England?

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and the simple question was why would anyone even Poch take the job before a director of football is appointed?

- The Structure isn’t there
- The players aren’t good enough
- There’s no guarantee you’ll get backed in the market.
- The job is a poison chalice until the director of football role is sorted out and Woodward isn’t making football decisions.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and the simple question was why would anyone even Poch take the job before a director of football is appointed?

- The Structure isn’t there
- The players aren’t good enough
- There’s no guarantee you’ll get backed in the market.
- The job is a poison chalice until the director of football role is sorted out and Woodward isn’t making football decisions.

The honest answer is money and ego

Utd will probably give him a decent rise on what he earns at Spurs and if he was the guy to suddenly get things back on track then it would be a massive boost to his reputation. Part of being a top manager is backing yourself to do anything. If you fail at Utd it doesn't really damage your rep as it's already marked as the impossible job he could do his 2 years and still be high on the list of other top jobs when they come up.

Yeah you're quite though top managers now expect certain things to be in place but Poch to be fair has to put up with the same crap at Spurs that he would at Utd if anything it's worse as spending at spurs is heavily restricted by the owner. I don't think Spurs have a sporting director as such anymore from memory the guy who was there left a while ago so not 100% sure how they are structured currently. It's his success in getting them consistently in the top 4 in that kind of environment that I think marks him as the top candidate for the job.

For me I think he's got more pulling power than Ole as a coach if you have Poch I think top players will want to work with him more than they would Ole because they've seen the way a Poch team plays and think I'll have a bit of that.

Honestly who knows who is the best guy to replace Ole if it came to that. It’s starting to become a bit of a poisoned chalice and while we don’t really have any structure in place then managers may have second thoughts about entering our club right now. Obviously we are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and still a draw but we need to sort ourselves out.

In an ideal world I would try to get in the sporting director from Lille and hire a coach like Nagelsmann.

Nagelsmann, this is just a name being bandied around in the press. What's he done to deserve it?

If Ole is getting grief he will get mullered. I would furious if we made an appointment like that

If they are getting rid of Ole then they need a manager of substance, and there aren't many of those around.

Thing is we’ve hired two managers of supposed substance in LVG and Mourinho, then we’ve hired a novice manager in Solskjaer. All haven’t worked out. No-one knows who would have success here, Poch could come here and fail where as a young manager like Nagelsmann could flourish. You just don’t know with managers.

Nagelsmann took Hoffenheim to the Champions League after leading them away from the relegation zone the year before. Now he’s in charge of Leipzig and doing well. Not saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread but his teams play the right way.

If Ole is a novice, then so is Nagelsmann. I just don't get that appointment, it would a next best thing bandwagon.

Although he's won nothing. If they are going to sack a manager again, the only real option is Poch.

Maybe with a transfer budget he could push to the next level, he's got a good record with youth, he's managed in the prem.

The biggest problem with him is his attitude, he needs to go into every game as a must win, and I worry about this with him. Twice I've heard him say it doesn't matter if they lose.

If Ole is a novice, then so is Nagelsmann. I just don't get that appointment, it would a next best thing bandwagon
I don't think it's necessarily about being a novice though. It's just Ole got a chance and he's shown nothing since his permanent appointment. He's not good enough.

Nagelsmann's track record is a damn sight more impressive than Ole he's done well in Germany Ole has bought the league in Norway, took Cardiff down and made Utd worse than arguably the worst ever Utd team last season.

Ole's track record wouldn't have got him a job at any premier league club the only reason he got the Utd job was through pure panic and it was only supposed to be a 6 month gig but thanks to our dumbass chief exec he appointed him full time because of that Ole's at the wheel chant.

It was nothing to do with the Ole’s at the wheel chant. His track record was fantastic and he put it in a position where it was almost impossible not to give him the job.

It was very easy not to give him the job. All they had to wait until the end of the season, as they said they would, before naming the new guy. In truth I think I would prefer nagelsmann to most of the other guys mentioned. There is just something that doesn't seem right about sacking a guy after 1 transfer window of a team in decline. And as I said before what happens if the new guy has just as bad a start as oke, is he sacked too?

It was clearly a mistake to give him a permanent deal right away despite that amazing run we had. I think the powers that be did get carried away with this feel good factor and the fact Ole was one of the old boys.

Nagelsmann would be a fine appointment, the fact he did what he did with Hoffenheim in his late twenties was incredible really. And is continuing his fine work with Leipzig. Think he would be a shrewd appointment but not sure he would want to come right now, who knows really.

. There is just something that doesn't seem right about sacking a guy after 1 transfer window of a team in decline. And as I said before what happens if the new guy has just as bad a start as oke, is he sacked too?

Obviously everyone jumps on his back and calls for his head and we try to find another Manager because unless you get it right immediately you’ve got to go.

It was nothing to do with the Ole’s at the wheel chant. His track record was fantastic and he put it in a position where it was almost impossible not to give him the job.

The chant bit was a bit tongue in cheek but he was given a 6 month deal and for 3 months he blazed a trail but warning signs were emerging before Paris and in my opinion the club got swept up in the ride we were on in those 3 months and ripped up the plan for the summer and went with the Ole plan.

For me it summed up how this clubs been run under Woodward all short term no long term thinking in the next 3 months after Paris things fell apart the team collapsed under injuries and results dropped off a cliff. Paris was a fluke we got a gift from the goalie and a well dodgy pen over the 2 legs we were taken to school by PSG.

Even a little bit of statistical analysis would have showed that Utd out performed the stats in that first few months it wasn't sustainable the performances didn't always back up the results but everyone was buzzing off the results including Woodward and rather than stick to the plan they decided to go all in with Ole earlier than they needed to.

I maintain the decision to put him in was made by emotion they should have stood strong Ole wasn't going anywhere there's no way in my opinion that based on how the season ended he'd have got the full time job.

Howe, I was all for for Howe pre Ole. But if Ole is gettign stick, then so will he. Pointless appointment.

It's getting to the point our fans won't accept anyone except Pep or Klopp. Even they would probably get grief after a few bad games. Man Utd fans would probably be crying for Pep to go after two losses this season.
Allegri is the next best thing to them and he's beat both of them before tactically.

Brendan Rodgers? Clearly a brilliant coach, doesn’t really bother me he’s been at Liverpool like it would some. Would be one to consider personally for me.

I am not sure Rodgers would win us the league but he would certainly be challenging top 4. As a guy I don't really like him but he is a good coach with a known style of play. Still not sure if we should be bringing anybody in until we sirt out the terrible upper management structure

Honestly who knows who is the best guy to replace Ole if it came to that. It’s starting to become a bit of a poisoned chalice and while we don’t really have any structure in place then managers may have second thoughts about entering our club right now. Obviously we are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and still a draw but we need to sort ourselves out.

In an ideal world I would try to get in the sporting director from Lille and hire a coach like Nagelsmann.
Campos and Allegri would be a start with VDS as CEO. Woodward is an overrated business person who has actually cheapened the brand by whoring it out.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back