De Gea not happy with United contract offer | now happy and about to sign deal

Latest from todays papers is that De Gea is stalling on signing everything agreed in principle but De Gea apparently willing to run it down and listen to offers in January.

Apparently the 25% wage reduction for no CL football is a problem as De Gea feels the club aren't bringing in the type of players who guarantee CL football every season.

I'll be totally honest if he's got options to get out he should go he deserves to be in a side competing for titles at this point the only reason to stay at Utd would be money.

That said it's an international weekend and with no Utd stuff to talk about could easily be a slot filler story as there's no real sources or quotes to back it up.

really, he's alreday cost us points this season, and the players brought in have done well. In fact he cost us points where one of those players had brought us back. Needs to look in the mirror.

I am definitely getting old. I am sick yo death of reading reports of players demanding we sign players that apparently meet their approval or up to " their standards ". Particularly when their standards at that particular time aren't very good. I am sick of players brothers popping up telling the fans that pay his brothers wages that he needs to be somewhere else that better suits his talents, albeit talents that are only seen fleetingly. At this stage I am prepared to have a couple of bad seasons to get in the type of players we need to move forward. Ultimately let these players go and see what the real Madrid Fan's are like when they don't perform. De gea already has low stock in Spain. As jsp says maybe it's just middle of international week paper talk but the same things seem to be coming up all the time. It's not difficult for de gea, if you want to stay sign. If you don't sign I will assume you want to leave. I am aware this is a bit of a meaningless tant but I am just so fed up of it. Right back to my holiday

Look De Gea has been a world class keeper for the last 6 years playing in a team that has been failing he's reached a cross roads where he either signs for Utd which commits the remaining peak years to Utd but he like everyone realises this might take another 2 or 3 years to put right. If I was him I'd be thinking how long have I got to wait for them to get this right?

If he's happy to sign up to that time scale then he should stay but I think like Pogba he's thinking I'm in my prime now I need to play at the highest level I can for the next few years to make sure when I look back at my career I achieved everything I wanted to which will be winning a Champions League and as many league titles as possible.

I do think Utd fans have to be realistic of where we are right now expecting players who have options to hang around while we rebuild isn't going to happen.

I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. I am realistic.

De Gea has in the past been great, currently he is poor, and if he wants to leave then go. He's run contract down and is entitled to go.

But, don't go saying the club aren't buying the best players when your own form is dire. We have just bought the most expensive CB, probably the best LB in the league and what looks like a bargain in James. Who is it he thinks we should be buying.

as for Pogba, we pay him a fortune and again, his form is poor, he is giving the ball away way too frequently. So to get your brother to keep spouting off in the press about moving to madrid is out of order. And to be honest, current form, he's not good enough for Madrid. His social media account would make it seem like he's one of the best in the world. He's not even one of the best in the prem. We keep talking about potential, he could be great, he's got all the attributes. He's 26, he should be reaching peak form, not giving possesion away 5 time a match with sloppy control and passes.

Makes me laugh these players, blaming ther team mates. They should look closer to home.

Get on with it and play football. Maybe if you upped your level we'd be higher up the league and then it would be easier to buy players.

It's nothing to do with being realistic, it's respecting your teammates and earning your money by playing to your potential. Not whinging Madrid look better. Where is the fight in these players.

I am not trying to belittle his performances for United in any way. He has been excellent for a number of years, although we also stood by him when he had a really tricky start. If he wants to leave then that is his prerogative. I would just like him to say so then we can plan accordingly. He is going to run his contract down and leave for free and we make him captain, in a squad of bad captains he is one of the worst. I personally think it's time to insist he signs a new contract or we play Romero.

I don't think we should put Romero or Grant in as some sort of punishment then you're just cutting your nose off to spite your face but I'd be asking him to sign a deal with a release clause in it to get the club a fee as recognition for what the club has done for him.

Romero or Grant aren't the long term solution as a replacement so if Dave says I'm not going to sign a new deal then just draw a line under it and announce it but I don't see the point in dropping him.

My point was this year the club have taken a long term approach to try and make us more competitive someone like De Gea needs to make a short term decision as does Pogba I can see why they think you know what lets get out of here.

De Gea has had 6 months of shakey form but you can only pin 1 goal on him this season the rest he's been powerless to stop so it's not exactly been a total horror show.

If he wants to go had offers come this summer then I reckon he'd have asked the club to let him go but if no one is bidding for him then there isn't much he can do.

His poor form might price him out of moves as his wage demands on a bosman would be massive so clubs might steer clear of him.

the closer to his contract is to running down, the more his offered wages should drop.

And I still don't get they should go because united is a project. They are not exactly close to retiring. Knuckle down and help the project.

the closer to his contract is to running down, the more his offered wages should drop.

And I still don't get they should go because united is a project. They are not exactly close to retiring. Knuckle down and help the project.

Well other reports today suggest the agreement is close to being done so who knows.

If you’ve got a 15 year career and you want to achieve x,y and z when you’re half way through it you have to analyse your position.

If you want to play at the very top level right now Utd isn’t the place to do that when you’ve watched the club decline over the last 6 years.

He might decide to stay and commit his future to our longer term project but who knows.

De Gea is a world class shot stopper but NOT a world class goalkeeper. He is should be approaching his peak and yet still does not command the area. This continually keeps pressure on the defence and distribution isn't world class. His form at the moment is shocking and he is playing like he wants out.

De Gea is very much a world class keeper. There’s not many better at one on one situations. He’s the best shot stopper in the world.

His distribution isn’t as bad as people make out. He’s just got to learn to throw it quicker.

The trouble with de gea is he is tbe best at what he does well but one of the worst at what he doesn't do so well. The best shot stopper bar none. Good at one on ones providing it's the type where you can stand up and make the striker make s decision. If he was running out diving at the feet of a striker he is not the best because in honesty he isn't the bravest. His command of the box is pretty woeful. In truth I would prefer him to sign a contract and stay but I am seeing no signs he wants to.

I think we could find a better keeper. I am really worried about his form going forward. Maybe it is just his contract getting to him.

I suspect we could find a better all rounder. We wouldn't find a better shot stopper. I went off on one a little bit yesterday just because I am getting sick of players conducting their business on social media. Maybe went a bit over the top

For a better all rounder who would you be choosing? From the prem I’ve said it before I’d be looking at Nick Pope.

I think that would be a decent shout. A couple of years ago I would have said butland but his form has nose dived. We have a couple of developing keepers in kovar and Henderson, maybe we put in Romero as a short term measure while we see how they develop.

Romero is a fine number 2 but he is not good enough to be the number 1 he makes a mistake in every game he plays and because he tends to only play against weaker teams it isn't as ruthlessly punished as mistakes are in the prem.

If DDG left we'd have to sign a new keeper and given our current position we wouldn't be getting one of the best and biggest names around the likes of Oblak just aren't going to come here so you'd end up taking a chance on someone from the next level down like Arsenal have done with Leno or Chelsea have done with Kepa.

Hopefully he signs a new deal I don't think Utd should be breaking the bank to do it but losing him for nothing and replacing him would be very expensive and it's something that the club really doesn't need adding to it's to do list.

Romero is a fine number 2 but he is not good enough to be the number 1 he makes a mistake in every game he plays and because he tends to only play against weaker teams it isn't as ruthlessly punished as mistakes are in the prem.

De Gea was beaten at his near post against Crystal Palace and poor punch clear led to Southampton equaliser. Believe me nothing would please me more than him signing a new FAIR contract. What I don't agree with is the wage demands against his current and last season's performances, simply unjustified at present. He needs a serious upturn in form to convince me otherwise.

De Gea was beaten at his near post against Crystal Palace and poor punch clear led to Southampton equaliser. Believe me nothing would please me more than him signing a new FAIR contract. What I don't agree with is the wage demands against his current and last season's performances, simply unjustified at present. He needs a serious upturn in form to convince me otherwise.

Yeah but he probably deserves to be judged over 6 years not 6 months if anyone deserves to be the top earner at the club then it's him and the reports are his new contract gives him parity with Pogba who is the second highest paid player behind Sanchez.

I do feel with him though the only reason he's still here is because since that fax machine broke Madrid have never come back with a serious bid to take him.

JSP, you said De Gea wanted to leave becasue he's not happy with players around him andhe wants to win trophies.

I think we can see, dropped points this season are down to him, so saying things like that winds people like me up. Regardless of his form 2 years ago.

You can't be playing crap and saying your team mates aren't good enough, they don't go together.

JSP, you said De Gea wanted to leave becasue he's not happy with players around him andhe wants to win trophies.

I think we can see, dropped points this season are down to him, so saying things like that winds people like me up. Regardless of his form 2 years ago.

You can't be playing crap and saying your team mates aren't good enough, they don't go together.
Agree entirely with this, there's far too much of this in football for me right now.

De Gea saved us plenty of points in the past I dont forget that, but this is here and now and im afraid Pogba and De Gea just dont want to be here.

If only Madrid had come in with massive offers for the pair of them as then we could of brought in replacements and simply moved on with players who want to be here.

This is the reality of not being top dog anymore.

In the 90's and 00's all our top players wanted to stay forever because we were the top dogs and challenging for top trophies almost every year when you're not doing that players get twitchy and it's how we have signed players in the past think of Rio, Rooney, Carrick, Berbatov etc picked off from weaker teams who couldn't quite get to our levels.

If I remember correctly, none of those players were at their clubs disrespecting their team mates and asking to leave. Which is probably why we went for them. Proper players who play to their best no matter what.

If I remember correctly, none of those players were at their clubs disrespecting their team mates and asking to leave. Which is probably why we went for them. Proper players who play to their best no matter what.

Being a bit selective with your memory there Berba and Rio both forced through moves and massively p*ssed off Spurs and Leeds respectively.

There's conflicting reports on the De Gea stuff no one is on record as saying anything one reporting that the deal is done others suggesting he's stalling but those who are generally accepted to be mostly in the know seem to be saying it's done deal.

It may be right about those two but I don't particularly remember that. In berbatovs case I think he was on his way to city until the 11th hour. Papers say what sells papers but there is a difference between saying something like " if real Madrid come knocking it has to be of interest " against " I want to play for a team with players more of my standard ". Again that might just be embellished by reporters but I feel players need to be careful about what they say.

The Berbatov one was particularly bad from memory it had dragged on all summer and Berbatov was given permission to go and meet City who had a bid accepted but actually went and met Utd who basically forced through the deal at the last minute. Since then our relationship with Spurs has been dreadful as Levy feels he was done over by us.

Back then it was always I want to play Champions League football maybe that's what our players are thinking but they don't want to say it... imagine if Pogba said he wanted to leave to play in the Champions League there'd be all hell breaking loose ha!

If a player is clearly way above what's around him, and is being held back by his side, while he is putting all the effort in, then fair play.

De Gea has cost us points this season, and Pogba has given the ball away so many times it's unreal.

So if they want to critisise their club and colleagues, please do, but make sure you are untouchable first. Stones and greenhouses etc.

If a player is clearly way above what's around him, and is being held back by his side, while he is putting all the effort in, then fair play.

De Gea has cost us points this season, and Pogba has given the ball away so many times it's unreal.

So if they want to critisise their club and colleagues, please do, but make sure you are untouchable first. Stones and greenhouses etc.

^^THIS

This is the reality of not being top dog anymore.

In the 90's and 00's all our top players wanted to stay forever because we were the top dogs and challenging for top trophies almost every year when you're not doing that players get twitchy and it's how we have signed players in the past think of Rio, Rooney, Carrick, Berbatov etc picked off from weaker teams who couldn't quite get to our levels.

Is that because most of them were Class of 92?

Contrast Pogba with Ronnie. We knew Real were his dream yet look how he played for us and became a club legend.

Is that because most of them were Class of 92?

Contrast Pogba with Ronnie. We knew Real were his dream yet look how he played for us and became a club legend.

Them being largely British helped but even the foreign lads stuck around until Fergie booted them out Stam, Van Nistelrooy, Veron all sold without wanting to move we’re basically told by the boss they had to go. I think had Utd been struggling the way we are now those offers that did come for those class of 92 lads might have been harder to ignore as they might have said they wanted to go.

Madrid and Barca will always have a special place to foreign players but Utd has that as well expecting loyalty from players who’ve packed bags and moved from home to come here is strange as these are normally players who want to experience various leagues.

I think De Gea’s biggest concern right now is he’s lost his spot in the national team after a poor World Cup and not playing for a team that wins titles is probably hurting his legacy/standing in the game.

We saw with Cassilas there’s no guarantee that a keeper remains great into their 30’s some do decline if he feels he might only have 4 or 5 years at the very top maybe he wants to spend that time playing at the very top not waiting for Utd to build a properly competitive team.

Honestly? If I were Dave I wouldn't sign at this point. What bright future is there here right now? This is a club sadly rotting on the inside with no changes in sight.

Honestly? If I were Dave I wouldn't sign at this point. What bright future is there here right now? This is a club sadly rotting on the inside with no changes in sight.

I don't tsee that, I see a club moving forward trying to correct 7 years of problems and errors.

I don't tsee that, I see a club moving forward trying to correct 7 years of problems and errors.

I see a club moving backwards to try and move forward.

It's a 1 step back to take 2 steps forward kind of thing but for guys who are in their prime they won't want to wait.

As for fixing 7 years of errors the massive thing I'd be looking at is the man who's been involved in all those errors Woodward is the man who is still making the decisions so what makes you think he'll get it right this time?

If Utd are 10 points off top 4 at Christmas will they stick with Ole or will they panic and start again? I don't think this board have the bottle to stick to a long term plan they'll always try and do a short term fix to make sure that CL money is coming in.

they've got to stick with Ole regardless of results. They must let one manager have a go rather than keep sacking them.

The results might not have gone our way so far, but they have been close, they could have gone either way. In hindsight, we should have bought a goalscorer, possibly Vardy.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back