Sideshow Bob

TotalPremier LeagueEuropa LeagueFA CupLeague Cup
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Pre-Season: Perth Glory 0-2 Manchester United - 13th July 2019

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice way to introduce yourself to a game that. Apparently it was his first involvement having just come on.

EFL: Rotherham United 0-2 Manchester United - 6th August 2019

Reserves: West Browmich Albion v Manchester United - 9th August 2019

Reserves: West Bromwich Albion 0-5 Manchester United - 9th August 2019

Absolutely superb for the U23s tonight. 2 cracking goals, a 50 yard beaut of a diagonal pass to pre-assist the opener that Scholes would have been proud of and some very good defensive work that Carrick would have been proud of.

Best U23s/Reserves performance i've seen in years, probably going back to Warren Joyce's early days when we were one of the best reserve teams in the country.

We simply have to give Garner a chance in the Europa League, too good for U23s level and needs to be playing at a higher level.

Really like this kid. Carrick with goals

Turning into a Carrick/Scholes lovechild. :p

He mentioned in an interview with Greenwood and Gomes at the end of last season that he wanted to add goals to his game and joked that he wanted to beat Greenwood for goals to which Greenwood replied that he was going to spend the summer working on his heading so he'd be adding an extra 10 goals to his tally but so far it's 2 for Garner, 0 for Greenwood. ;)

So those who watch him do we think he's anywhere near ready?

Based purely on the physical side he still looks a bit lightweight needs to get himself in the gym as the centre of midfield in a physical area especially that holding role you need to be able to win your headers against teams who go direct or be able to cover ground quickly to snatch up those second balls.

Looks a year away for me but guess he could get a chance in league cup or Europa league off the bench given our shortage of numbers in the middle of the park.

I think he could play against the lesser teams certainly. I rate him really highly

Not sure we're good enough to really take liberties against the lesser teams domestically I mean gone are the days when our bench player would be good enough to finish 6th or 7th... that's where the first team finishes these days haha!

From the limited bits I've seen of him he could probably handle it against the teams who have midfielders who like to get on the ball and play rather than some of the sides who just have giants patrolling the middle smashing anything that moves.

It will be hard to be sure until we see him against these teams but in truth I can't see him weakening us significantly if we played him instead of Pereira. That said he normally plays a more central role than Pereira

Think it's time he made the bench and started getting minutes. He might add something.

Think it's time he made the bench and started getting minutes. He might add something.

Is he a 10 or is he a holder?

I think we will see him in the league cup and Europa leagues games in a few weeks time when that all starts.

Definitely not a 10. I would have said a holder but seems more box to box this season. Probably not ready but looks a great prospect and probably still better than the likes of Pereira

I think Greenwood showed yesterday you can’t just throw a youngster in when the chips are down and expect him to make a huge difference. Garner is getting there but not ready to be a starter, like has been menfioned he can be a bench option or play in the lesser competitions.

In truth I probably agree with that and I would certainly rather he be getting games like he is at the moment. Less happy with the Gomes situation who I think is more ready, who plays in a position we are short of ideas, and who I believe could leave if he isn't given games.

I think Garner is fine where he is right now, no point bringing him in when he’s not ready, that would definitely be counter productive.

Totally agree on Gomes though, I think he’s ready. He’s not some 16/17 year old, he’s nearly 19 so I believe he needs to at least on the bench in games. Technically he’s superior to Lingard and would add a little bit of creativity. Again, I’m not saying he’s a saviour but give him a chance. Sometimes you have to just give someone a shot, we did it with Rashford when he was a total unknown.

At this point there's absolutely no reason not to start involving him. The midfield is a joke and that's putting it kindly.

At this point there's absolutely no reason not to start involving him. The midfield is a joke and that's putting it kindly.
Just throwing in a kid and it not going so well could be a real confidence killer and central midfield is unforgiving. He is class in the U23’s but the step up is huge even for the most talented players. Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are the guys who should be playing more but for Garner, he is probably a notch behind.

Just throwing in a kid and it not going so well could be a real confidence killer and central midfield is unforgiving. He is class in the U23’s but the step up is huge even for the most talented players. Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are the guys who should be playing more but for Garner, he is probably a notch behind.
Ok sure let's just suffer it with the guys we already know aren't good enough. I go back to it again... Cheers Ed.

Ok sure let's just suffer it with the guys we already know aren't good enough. I go back to it again... Cheers Ed.
Yep it was a terrible mistake to not strengthen central midfield. I guess we have to hope Fred starts to look like a £50m player, that’s the only hope right now.

Yep it was a terrible mistake to not strengthen central midfield. I guess we have to hope Fred starts to look like a £50m player, that’s the only hope right now.
Reality is he's not going to be much good though is he. And best case he's good enough to start but that's not much of a change because this midfield in general sucks.

So if he’s box to box might be that Europa league group games are where he gets some game as I don’t see Pogba playing all these games. If Matic stays you could put Garner in alongside the old timer who should be able to look after him.

Kids need experience alongside them

Premier League: Norwich City 1-3 Manchester United - 27th October 2019

Nice cameo. He was confident and demanded the ball off his team mates.

Two goals for England U19s.

I'm a big fan of this youngster and want to see him in the first team. I thought he was only out because he was injured.

Be interesting to see if he steps up to the first team next season he looks ready for a step up in level U23 is to easy for him needs to be playing first team football next season.

With Bruno coming in his normal position as that attacking midfielder is going to be hard to get.

Yeah Garner plays a little deeper than Fernandes. I hope he can break through because he does have something - maybe a loan move might be good for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back