Midfield

Sideshow Bob

Fantastic result, debut goal for James and impressive performances from the other two new signings, however the midfield to be a little dramatic was almost non-existent. It's a real concern. Thankfully United defended well and the counter attacking play in the second half was brilliant. Is McTominay, Pereira and Pogba the right combination? Or should Solskjaer switch to 4-2-3-1?

Periera is definitely not the right option. McTominay I’ve seen getting a lot of praise but thought he was non existent at times and Pogba getting a lot of criticism but thought he was excellent in the turnovers.

Pereira doesn't have it. McTominay might develop a little in to a good squad player and a reliable player in certain games. But the midfield is a major major concern.

I’m assuming Fred must have a knock as he didn’t even make the match day squad.

Also back to Pogba. The vision and pass for the third is fantastic.

Midfield has been my issue for many years and we have managed to weaken it this season. In honesty it is really poor but we are left with few options. Maybe lingard drops deeper. Could tuanzebe do a job as the defensive midfielder? He is fast and strong and cool on the ball, but bring Google on the ball in defence is different to midfield

I've no idea why Pereira started. The boy just isn't good enough

Yeah the midfield was a major worry the game was so open absolutely no control of the game at home from the midfield at any point it was like Basketball which isn't a good sign.

I thought McTominay was ok given his age but he'll face better players than Mount who will punish any lapses he has, Pogba was playing very deep but provided the moments of quality that kill the game and Pereira for me was a total passenger he's just not good enough unless he has a massive kick on but he's 23 now so chances of that feel slim.

You have to assume that Fred will play more once he's fit but the guy always seems to have a knock which isn't a good sign.

We got away with it vs Chelsea but I'm not sure we'll get away with it against Wolves.

Pereira for me was a total passenger he's just not good enough unless he has a massive kick on but he's 23 now so chances of that feel slim.
I have no idea why they gave him that new contract. Just another shamble in a long list by those behind the scenes here. He's not good enough to play for us and other than early hype and hope he never has been.

I have no idea why they gave him that new contract. Just another shamble in a long list by those behind the scenes here. He's not good enough to play for us and other than early hype and hope he never has been.

Protecting transfer value and giving him a new deal was cheaper than buying a replacement.

I think he should have been moved on but the club obviously knew they were going to be short on numbers so I think they gave him a new deal.

He's got a great chance to prove us all wrong I though the same with McTominay last season just didn't see it in him but then towards the end we started to see he did have something to offer maybe that will happen with Pereira as well who knows.

Be interesting to see how he sets it up vs Wolves they still look like they're playing the 3-5-2 that served them well last season and in Neves, Mourinho, Dendonker they've got 3 good centre mids Utd can't afford to be that open again. You wonder if we'll see Matic come back in for that one instead of Pereira will it be a case of at home we see a more attacking midfield then away a slightly more conservative one?

Protecting transfer value and giving him a new deal was cheaper than buying a replacement.
And that's why this team is struggling and didn't make top 4 last year. That's a sure fire way to ensure failure.

And that's why this team is struggling and didn't make top 4 last year. That's a sure fire way to ensure failure.

To be totally honest the one that really baffled me was Jones I honestly saw no point in renewing him he's an alright defender when fit but he's only fit 50% of the time so why bother carrying on no one will ever buy him.

The Pereira one felt like one last stab at it with him as everyone has seen the talent the kid has in our academy so they're reluctant to give up on it but feels to me a bit like the Cleverley one where even if he was at a mid table team he would be struggling to get game time. My thought when he got the deal was well that must mean that Mata is off then.

What he does bring to the table is quality in the attacking third as we saw with his ball in for the Martial goal which was perfectly placed between the defenders and the keeper.

The Pereira one felt like one last stab at it with him
He's played under how many managers now? Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole? Plus I think started to be mentioned as a future star under Fergie. The guy doesn't have it.

He's played under how many managers now? Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole? Plus I think started to be mentioned as a future star under Fergie. The guy doesn't have it.

Think he was out on loan under Moyes and LVG his only real chance in the first team came under Mourinho last season where he said he's staying to fight for his place.

He was a bright start in academy football for years from a very young age he looked to good for it basically him and Januzaj at times were just taking the p*ss as they were so much better than everyone else. LVG apparently sent them both away on loan after he learned they had a bet on who could score from a corner so rather than cross the ball they kept shooting from corners.

In youth team football he was always a really creative number 10 a real flair player scored outrageous goals and could dribble through teams but in senior football he's never really played those attacking roles he's played more as a central midfielder.

Like I said 12 months ago I was like this with McTominay I just didn't see it but in 6 months he really kicked on another level maybe this guy will do the same but for me he's 23 now so I think the chances of that are slim. He looked ok out on loan in La Liga he's probably a mid table player in reality but a season of Europa League with a few Premier League games might help us sell him but it won't be for big bucks might be one of those sell him low with some sort of sell on clause type things.

I think had we got CL football in the bag last season he'd have been someone who was told he could go as Utd would have been more aggressive in the transfer market with Europa league this season they've probably thought give him one more chance.

I'm bothered by the Pogba rumours, I don't mind selling him, but not when we cannot replace him.

Surely we cant let him go until next summer now.

If Barca get Neymar, Madrid will want to make a statement.

Pogba is going nowhere this summer now. It needed to be done before our window closed. No way United let him leave now.

Pogba is going nowhere this summer now. It needed to be done before our window closed. No way United let him leave now.

Don't think you can say 100% if Madrid come with a really serious offer the club might just take it but it would be a real disaster if he went now as on the pitch it leaves a huge gap we can't plug and off the pitch things could get very messy fans are already on edge with the board.

Madrid have already made a pretty big splash this summer they have signed Hazard, Jovic etc spending over 300m so I'm not that worried unless they shift Bale and James they can't take on his wages either at some point the books have to balance even at Madrid.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back