English Cricket Summer 2019

SuperRash

So, a big summer for us in Test cricket with the Ashes but right now we are getting a right old hammering from Ireland who have bowled us out for 85 in the first session of the first test. World Cup hangover much!

Half that team didn't even play in the world cup though and the ones who did have barely touched a red ball since the winter.

Just a reminder that the test team is really struggling at the moment especially in the batting department we don't really have a top order certainly not an established one with Cook gone the top 3 are basically all newcomers.

The success of the one day team has covered up a big decline in the quality of the test side in recent years.

I'm going to day 3 of the ashes at Edgbaston starting to worry I might not see a full days play.

You’ll probably see a days play. Like you say half of this team didn’t even play in the World Cup. You will see Anderson, Archer, Buttler, Stokes coming back into the side for sure barring fitness.

To be honest the side that is out there at the moment looks like a decent county side, not an international line up. Also Ireland are no slouches in English conditions especially with their bowling and their batting isn’t too bad at the moment, they are actually respecting the conditions.

Bowling wise England are fine maybe lacking a bit in terms of spin but we have so many options in terms of seamers that I don't think that's a major problem as it's unlikely the wickets will turn into dust bowls for the spinner.

Batting wise we are really quite poor and have been for a while we are so inconsistent for the last few years one game we post a huge total and win the next we'd be getting skittled for next to nothing and get beat. We've lost that reliable presence at the top of the order we had when we were number 1 players like Strauss, Cook, Trott who could see off the new ball even if we lost an early wicket and bat long none of our top 3 have shown they can do this and in test cricket that's a real problem.

Like you say there will be plenty of change by next week when a few of the guys who've been rested come back but that is a real wake up call because the aussie bowlers will also fancy their chances in English conditions and they've also had a fair old bit of practise getting used to the conditions during the one day tournament.

Yep we are pretty poor batting wise in test cricket now. I think we seemed to have forgotten how to defend, we are always looking to score, where as today we just needed to hang in there and see off the new ball. If we can’t handle it when the Irish bowlers are getting it to nibble about then we don’t have any chance against Starc, Cummins etc. I don’t know if many of you guys watch County Cricket but we have a few opening batsman like Sibley and Crawley who actually know how to defend the ball. Like you say after Cook, Strauss and Trott we haven’t really had any guys who could see off the new ball.

The bowling is good and will be even more improved with Archer but we lack a good spinner. The Ashes is going to be pretty close because we both have our batting flaws but decent with the ball.

The issue is very few international bowlers play in country cricket so you see guys get decent scores but they aren’t facing the 90mph plus guys so you don’t know if they can handle it.

The selectors just need to pick some and back them give them two tours if they can’t cut it someone else gets a go

It’s going a bit better today. Batting ourselves back in to the game.

Collapsing a bit now. We love a good collapse, least our night watchman has saved our bacon a little. I still think we need another 150 or so to really look some what comfortable.

Ireland are 19-3. Bowlers digging us out of this here.

I went to grab a sandwich and a coffee and that’s all it took for those two wickets to go!

Gee whiz. Thought they would struggle to get 180 but wasn’t expecting this melt down.

Hope Broad gets his 5th in the name of symmetry.

Woakes gets his 6th. England won by 143 after a shocking first innings.

Woakes got 6 wickets for 17 runs.

All out for 38.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Surprised Burns survived after his poor form. Archer is the intriguing one for sure, if he can get over his side strain then he could be electric for us.

Day started well. Come back around for Australia but then after lunch we’ve had a fantastic session. Especially Broad with the ball in hand.

Umpires have been a disaster. Australia are 154-8 their second longest partnership is currently going of 32. Smith the only one really showing any resilience.

Anderson missed the session through injury though after 4 overs this morning. A blow for the series if the precautionary scan shows anything.

Australia 257-9, getting into a good position.

Losing Anderson would be terrible for us and now we are being spanked about. It does go to show that when you’re a bowler down it really does show towards the end of an innings.

Smith brilliant but still a cheater. No respect for him anymore.

Great start but Smith dug in and got them right back in it.

With overcast conditions due going to be tough to post a big score.

Think we’re all just sitting here waiting for the batting collapse. 152/1 at the moment.

328-8.

Bairstow and Ali cannot buy a run. Bairstow has scored 32 runs in his last 8 innings in England. Ali is apparently averaging 15 in his last 15 matches.

Smith is some batter.

Can’t see England winning from this position. Hopefully rain will save the day.

Ali has been poor with the ball. He’ll be lucky to keep his spot in the team for the next match.

Yep Ali is done for me. When he isn’t bowling well then you’ve always said oh well at least he gives us batting depth but he’s even worse with that right now. I think we finally need a frontline spinner. Obviously Ali is better than a part timer but he’s never been top class. However, the lack of really quality options in county cricket may mean he gets another go. Leach obviously but beyond that it’s slim pickings.

Think the weather is a little unsettled for Monday so would say a draw is on the cards but you can’t discount an England batting meltdown.

Had a great day in the hollies stand yesterday sat amongst the barmy army.

Smith is killing us here.

We are falling like a deck of cards. Who knows what Roy was doing trying to smash Lyon out of Warwickshire when we are trying to save the game.

85-4 right now, I would say 150 all out by tea.

Who remembers when Australia for 122/8 on the first day! Didn't think we'd be here in this position on the 5th day of the test!

Losing Anderson is a killer as with him in the attack you have to think we'd have rattled the Aussies out earlier in the first innings and given ourselves a much better platform.

Even at the end of day 3 we'd got ourselves into the lead and took some early wickets in the evening but yesterday was a disaster you have to credit the Aussies that middle order along with Smith took it away from us and put them firmly in the driving seat.

Time for a rain dance I think as bad weather is the only thing stopping this defeat.

Who remembers when Australia for 122/8 on the first day! Didn't think we'd be here in this position on the 5th day of the test!
Yep that 122/8 seems a long long time ago.

We are now 7 down, I fear my prediction of 150 all out was too optimistic!

Getting embarrassing here. 3 wickets down since lunch about 8 minutes of play.

Just the way it is on a day 5 pitch once you get one out you can normally get another to follow quickly as it takes a while to get a read on the pitch.

Doesn't help that all our batters are shot players not really suited to digging in especially against spin.

Seriously where is the rain!

Would the pitch really have been that different this morning to yesterday afternoon?

Would the pitch really have been that different this morning to yesterday afternoon?

It will have been rolled again and continued to be used getting drier and drier which helps when you’ve got a good in form spinner instead of Moeen Ali who’s in horrible form.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back