Sean Longstaff

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saw this earlier. I’ll be honest even though I consider myself to watch a lot of football I barely know this lad. Some people were making comparisons to Carrick.

At 21 is he good enough to come in to the side? I like the signings of him and James logically but we can’t just sign a bunch of squad players for the sake of being English and Young they need to have the required quality too.

Saw some impressive reviews of him when he had a run in the team this season.

Like @IDFD said we can't just sign a load of kids we need to get a mix and given we have McTominay not sure we need to add a developing player we need guys ready to go straight into our starting XI.

He's got 3 years on his current contract so he'd be expensive.

The only thing I really saw him do was smash one in the top corner but seemed like a deep lying playmaker style midfielder from the reports I read take the ball off the defence and starts moves hence the Carrick comparison.

It's already being rubbished by a few people on twitter.

Yeah I don't know what it was but after he broke into the team he did get injured and missed the end of the season.

Yeah I’ve seen many reports on Twitter now that it’s a non-starter so don’t think this is happening. One to keep an eye in the future though. I think replacing Carrick has been our biggest issue.

Yeah I’ve seen many reports on Twitter now that it’s a non-starter so don’t think this is happening. One to keep an eye in the future though. I think replacing Carrick has been our biggest issue.

Yeah because replacing Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, RVP etc has been such a rip roaring success haha.

The regeneration of the 2013 team has been a disaster nearly every position is now filled by a player of lesser ability.

Looks like we are trying to hoover up all of the young British talent. I guess Ole is trying to be very Fergie by putting his trust in youth - obviously you still need the experienced heads but if these guys can grow as a team and live up to potential then we could be a force again in the future. I can take another year or two of a ‘rebuild’ but only if I can see clear signs of progression on and off the field.

On Longstaff, I think he’s an exciting talent. If I remember correctly I think it was against City I thought he looked absolute class and was pivotal in that win. Hard to judge as he is inexperienced in EPL terms but looks a player. Think it will take more than the £25m quoted though.

Think the chance to get Rice was before he signed that new deal but once West Ham locked him down to a new 5 year deal he's off the table for a few seasons because of the price tag.

£25m is big talk for a kid who's played 9 premier league games but you are gambling on potential because if he stays with them and plays well next season and signs a new contract you are talking £50m. Just got to hope the scouts have done the homework on this kid.

I haven't got a problem with building a young squad, but I can why Pogba and De Gea want to leave. This will take a few seasons.

I haven't got a problem with building a young squad, but I can why Pogba and De Gea want to leave. This will take a few seasons.

It's also a huge risk as you are buying potential not proven quality.

If I was a footballer in the peak years of my career with serious ambitions of winning trophies and playing at the very top I'd be telling my agent to see what is out there for me. You have to think of yourself in football so I can see why both of them want out same with Lukaku.

My worry is with this policy if you go to far with it you end up like Arsenal always looking 2 or 3 years ahead this problem needs solving now but the club has shown it's not been able to make quick fixes to our problems they're now going to attempt a much more complex long term strategy.

For me the policy of bringing in young players is fine but this squad desperately needs some reliable experienced players to set the standards and make sure they're maintained. This responsibility is probably going to fall on people like DDG, Young, Smalling, Matic & Mata next season and none of them have been key players in title winning seasons at Utd. To me they are followers not leaders.

The big thing for Ole is he's got to get the fans believing that this is the way forward to get us back on top the only way to do that is to win matches and convince us on the pitch as this could turn very sour very quickly if we don't start getting consistent good performances and also results next season.

luckily Cheslea can't buy and Arsenal have no money, so a fight for 4th could still be on

What are we preparing? How many magic beans to offer? Just make the bid! Hate nothing stories like this.

I think this move is more likely than Fernandes, that speculation is just usual Portuguese press hyperbole.

I am reading we are still preparing a bid for Longstaff - it’s definitely going to be the most well prepared bid in the history of modern day sport.

I just can't see us going for another kid when our midfield options for next season already include Periera and McTominay.

I just can't see us going for another kid when our midfield options for next season already include Periera and McTominay.
You don’t think? I think Ole has shown so far that he’s looking for these promising youngsters in his squad.

You don’t think? I think Ole has shown so far that he’s looking for these promising youngsters in his squad.

Yes but you can't just go kids for everything.

The class of 92 had experienced players to learn from and they passed that on to the next generation.

It's the new contract for Periera that I can't work out because if he's staying surely you don't want 3 really inexperienced CM's in your options.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back