Scott McTominay | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSNFRMN

Very impressive performance by him today. Often ridiculed and deemed not good enough, not played a lot of football but stepped up to the plate massively to fill in for Matic.

In his last start against Reading, Pereira played the holding role while McTom played as more of a box to box. The switch shows that Solskjaer and Phelan have learnt a lot about the 2 since then. I think that's probably their best positions going forward, whether that's with us or elsewhere.

Probably McTominays best performance for us. One thing I would say is he’s naive in that position. Too many times he could have drawn the foul and slowed play but allowed himself to get challenged trying to be to honest.

I thought his passing was a bit to safe wasn't prepared to take the risks and pass forward but in a big game you can understand the nerves but you have to play those passes forward to benefit from counter attacks as the space is only their for a second before a team gets back in shape.

He did well covering the ground making sure nothing could come down the middle but that passing needs improvement it's got to be released quickly.

His performance was certainly of the mourinho mould

Got to say he was brilliant last night. Looked like a guy who had 250 United games under his belt, not the small number he has. Came of age.

The guys on the radio were very impressed with him. In fact Nevin who normally can't wait to slag united off was very complimetary about him, and Ole.

Personally can't remember a bad game, been some average ones but can't recall "a stinker". Solid, hard working & consistent player who seems to relish the big games.

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Manchester United - 2nd April 2019

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Our best player by a mile and was hundred times better than Pogba on the night. Took his goal really well.

Our best player by a mile and was hundred times better than Pogba on the night. Took his goal really well.

Agreed thought he played well. Was constantly lurking on the edge of the box and wasn't afraid to have a pop.

Champions League: Manchester United 0-1 Barcelona - 10th April 2019

Touched upon it in the match thread but I thought he gave a real assured performance last night and didn’t look out of place at all. He gives so much more mobility and energy compared to Matic. Would be very happy for him to start instead of Matic for the remainder of the season.

Have to say I didn't see it early on but last few weeks he's played really well in midfield.

Last night he was probably our man of the match didn't get caught in the occasion did his job well and that quick forward passing that was lacking is now there.

He's very composed on the ball as well for someone so young as I've said in another thread if Herrera has agreed a deal to leave then I think he drops out for McTominay or Fred we need to see what these two can do for next season.

As his biggest critic, I was really impressed with Scott last night, was at the game and everyone had the same comments.

Talksport didnt seem to think that Fred was very good last night, but I argue against that, in that he looked more confident on the ball and was trying to put the ball forward whenever he got it, I thought he had a good game.

Did he just do well for Scott, and because of the gash around him, or is he the real future of the club?

For a young kid with very few games under his belt put in against top quality midfielders I think he was very impressive his legs went on about 70 minutes but for 70 minutes he competed with top players and matched them. I think it was similar vs Wolves there's still physical developments required so he can cope with a full 90 minutes of football.

I think his recent run has done enough to suggest that he can be a first team squad member next season capable of playing 20-30 games next season as the replacement for Fellaini and Utd fans shouldn't panic when he's put in the team.

He isn't going to be the answer to all our problems the midfield will still need investment in the summer but assuming Pogba stays and Herrera is gone maybe Utd can get away with buying 1 rather than 2 centre mids.

He was the best player on the pitch for my money and on a pitch containing the quality of players it did that’s very impressive.

What did people think of the penalty shout? Couldn’t hear any analysis at HT/FT did anyone think it was a penalty? I did but everyone around me said dive. Some said there was no contact at all. Thought I was watching different replay to them

I wrote him off at a really early age as just being big. I didn't really see it coming but he is definitely winning me over. He plays with maturity and has somebody has already mentioned he has greater mobility than matic.

He was the best player on the pitch for my money and on a pitch containing the quality of players it did that’s very impressive.

What did people think of the penalty shout? Couldn’t hear any analysis at HT/FT did anyone think it was a penalty? I did but everyone around me said dive. Some said there was no contact at all. Thought I was watching different replay to them

The defender touched his foot but he flung himself to the ground trying to sell it I don't think it was a penalty.

I think if the ref gave it then I think VAR would have said to stick with his decision because of the contact but because he didn't the contact was so minimal that they wouldn't over rule as a clear and obvious error. Don't think they even said if it was being checked by VAR on the commentary.

Personally I don't think it was a penalty but it's utterly ridiculous if it wasn't checked by var. I suspect there will be penalties given by var at some point for that sort of contract

Personally I don't think it was a penalty but it's utterly ridiculous if it wasn't checked by var. I suspect there will be penalties given by var at some point for that sort of contract

It may have been checked because VAR is always going on in the background checking things but they don't always let you know a VAR check is happening.

I really think he’s coming of age. He is still pretty inexperienced but the way he has played against Barca and PSG really bodes well for the future. If he continues on an upward curve then he will be very useful to have - very much in the Fletcher mold.

Apparently he got some impressive reviews in the Spanish papers match reports as well.

He was fantastic.

He should take Herrera's spot in the squad for next season.

Yeah I am beginning to think I will have to eat humble Pie on Scott. I didn't see how he could possibly make it but he is proving me wrong.

It’s telling that he was one of our better players against Chelsea and he was only on for a short time. He played like he cared and showed some desire. He’s by no means a finished article but have more in trust in him than I do in Fred and Matic right now.

Fair play to the kid Jose put a lot of baggage on him with that stupid player award at the end of last season but since Mourinho has gone he's kind of kicked on to another level.

He started the season as probably the 6th maybe 7th choice centre mid options below Periera now he's getting in the team on merit that's partly because others have let standards slip but he's upped his game as well.

I think with Europa League football next season there's a real chance for him to show what he can do here next season as there will be plenty of games for him to play in that competition.

Again our best player yesterday. Seems like the only person that cares.

Sat on the bench alone after the game yesterday and looked absolutely gutted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back