Busiest summer since 2015?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think we’re now resigned to losing Valencia Herrera Mata. So that’s 3 gone.

Then I’d expect to lose Darmian and Rojo. With Fellaini gone in January that’s a quarter of our allocated players out the door in 6 months.

There has to be some work done in the summer, as we all know - If there are no major signings then we are bloody doomed.

What I think we need to buy and what we will buy are two completely different things. I think we’ll see a budget CM come in and a blockbuster right winger and that’ll be that.

What I think we need to buy and what we will buy are two completely different things. I think we’ll see a budget CM come in and a blockbuster right winger and that’ll be that.

I hope we are both wrong @IDFD but I have the same worrying thoughts, I do think we will see a right sided attacker come in but then the rest is a mystery.

OUT: Mata, Herrera, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Sanchez

IN: Sancho, Saul, Wan-Bissaka, Bruno Fernandes, De Ligt

This is FM stuff but the above I would be very content with. Would be ridiculously expensive though and we won’t get much for the outgoings as the majority will be off on frees.

I dont think it makes sense to make huge changes, but it could be expensive to buy quality.

Out Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Sanchez

In

Sancho, Varane, a RB I'd try and get Verratti

Mctominay looks like he might actually be better than he played for Jose, so I see him and Chong, Gomez, Greenwood gettng more chances next year. Especially if we are in the Europa.

I think Herrera will sign. And I think the club might try and keep Mata so he can be an ambassador after he finishes.

Incidently, just read Madrid are keen on Bailly.

Anyone seen Koulibalys bit of skill in training for Napoli, He would be my pick for CB for many more things others than having good feet. My RB choice (if we getting another) would be AWB - the boy looks pure class and will only get better.

In midfield we could go for Saul, but the price being mentioned is pretty crazy, alternatives of Doucoure or Rice, I would be happy with that.

And Jadon Sancho is my pick for that RW position, massive composure for a 19 year old, but lets hope he is the real deal if we get him.

In midfield we could go for Saul, but the price being mentioned is pretty crazy, alternatives of Doucoure or Rice, I would be happy with that.
Oh Saul would be mega money but the guy is the real deal, apart from Pogba we lack creative class from midfield and that’s where we are really lacking.

I’m surprised Doucoure hasn’t been linked with the big clubs before from what I have seen. He’s been the standout for Watford for a couple of seasons now and he’s a real power house from midfield. I was actually thinking about him the other day and how he would be the typical Fergie signing. As in picking up a guy from the smaller EPL clubs and fitting then right into his team, ala Carrick and Saha to name a couple.

I think we’re now resigned to losing Valencia Herrera Mata. So that’s 3 gone.

Then I’d expect to lose Darmian and Rojo. With Fellaini gone in January that’s a quarter of our allocated players out the door in 6 months.

Isn’t Darmian out of contract as well in the summer?

I hope Herrera stays but not overly fussed if he does if he’s genuinely asking for £200kna week to stay.

I think this has to be a very busy summer. Get rid of some of the dead wood. Promote some youth and add quality in the transfer market.

It has to be doesn't it? I agree with rich on this. I could think of 7 or 8 players that could easily go. Bring in probably 4 high quality and promote the likes of Chong, garner and Gomes, without having to rush them through.

I agree entirely aswell, scary to think how many I could happily see the back of;

Smalling
Jones
Bailly
Young
Rojo
Sanchez
Darmian
Matic
Valencia
Fred

Get Sancho, Doucoure and Koulibaly in and promote some of the young lads into the first team setup !

I probably wouldn't quite go that far. Smelling I would keep for the time being. Fred probably deserves another season to see if he can adjust. Possibly keep young as a squad player as he can play lots of positions. Maybe 1 more big signing.

Lets be honest based on their performances at Utd there's very few players you can confidently say right now could be part of a title winning side and perform at a high level week in week out both domestically and in Europe. There's a reason our players don't get linked to the sides who've dominated Europe for the last decade.

Now everyone can't go all at once but there needs to be big changes over the next few transfer windows.

I look at this summer and think players like Bailly, Rojo, Valencia & Darmian could all go and not really be missed because they've contributed almost nothing this season add to that Fellaini who left in the winter window. I think a player like Mata is now luxury and Young will probably need to be kept one more season. These guys leaving isn't going to generate much revenue but it helps trim down what I think is a bloated squad full of some pretty average footballers.

It would seem like Herrera is off the reporting of it as a done deal in some places makes you think the cat is finally out of the bag on that one his comments didn't exactly kill the story, unless they're prepared to do what they did with Fellaini last summer and basically call his bluff it sounds like he's gone. If he's got that offer from PSG then he should take it as Utd can't just keep breaking the wage structure for players who are good but not great.

Would be nice if they could also offload Sanchez I think everyone just needs this one to be over it's been a disaster for both club and player. I don't think it's going to happen as I just don't see where he goes unless he's ready to call it a day in China our only chance will be some sort of loan deal where we at least get a big chunk of his salary off the wage bill. The most likely destination for a loan would be Italy as while they can't afford the big transfer fees they can still pay decent wages at some clubs but he'd be a massive gamble as not only has he lost his form and confidence he's also getting injured a lot.

If these players were all to leave in one summer Utd would need to by first team quality players capable of challenging for a title at RB, CB, CM & RW. I do think these are the key areas to improve ourselves this summer.

The elephant in the room as always is De Gea they've got to get his contract sorted if they can't they need to resolve that situation quickly and get a replacement in we don't want to be bringing in a new number 1 keeper on deadline day.

This won't happen sadly football thrives on that mad end of window scramble as everyone plays hardball chasing deals and Utd still without a sporting director are probably months behind on the planning so it'll be the usual scatter gun approach trying to sign players with no interest of coming rather than a well thought out plan.

It has to be doesn't it? I agree with rich on this. I could think of 7 or 8 players that could easily go. Bring in probably 4 high quality and promote the likes of Chong, garner and Gomes, without having to rush them through.

Absolutely mate. Need to move on Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Mata, Sanchez and some of the other fringe players. Maybe even move on from Matic who's really regressed this year and if that were top continue could hurt us.

@RichH2016 - Would you somewhat agree with the names I have mentioned ? although Im very aware that you wont move them all on in one window, but in an ideal world, I would.

We need to look at this and think how long has this problem been apparent, wrong signing after wrong signing, we need a guy who knows his stuff to come in and start the rebuilding.

Read today that we have offered Mata a new deal but he’s leaving his options open. Even though we’ve offered a new deal I fully expect him to leave as he’s not first choice anymore and he doesn’t quite fit in with the philosophy that Ole is trying to implement.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the only players to leave are Valencia, Rojo, Mata and Darmian. Sanchez is going to be so hard to move on and I can see Ole giving him one more chance next season. Whether Herrera stays is anyone’s guess, I have a feeling we will come to an agreement with him but the lure of PSG may be hard to turn down as he’s guaranteed trophies at least on the domestic side.

Read today that we have offered Mata a new deal but he’s leaving his options open. Even though we’ve offered a new deal I fully expect him to leave as he’s not first choice anymore and he doesn’t quite fit in with the philosophy that Ole is trying to implement.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the only players to leave are Valencia, Rojo, Mata and Darmian. Sanchez is going to be so hard to move on and I can see Ole giving him one more chance next season. Whether Herrera stays is anyone’s guess, I have a feeling we will come to an agreement with him but the lure of PSG may be hard to turn down as he’s guaranteed trophies at least on the domestic side.

Yeah his father who is also his agent said he's had an offer from Utd but he's seeing what else is out there rumours are Barca are interested as they see him as a useful squad player for them.

Lovely player but I don't think he's ever really fit under any of our managers always felt he was a player signed out of desperation by the club during the disaster Moyes season he just didn't fit in anywhere.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solksjaer on this summer's transfer window:

Yeah because I’ve been speaking to the club, we know that we have to be realistic and have a job to be done, there’s no quick fix, it’s not like buy seven players and we’re in the right shape, we have to take step by step and there’ll be signings made but also has to be thoughts about players, sit down, have a pre-season. I can’t wait for it to come, there’ll be some additions, the players have got to come back and know what is expected of them, take ownership of that while on holiday and it will be great to see who’s coming back and as I said first of all this focus has to be on Everton.

Sorry but I just don't have the confidence in Ed and this group to make the right decisions. They need to clear out and completely rebuild. We aren't in the position to just sign 2-3 players. Those were the days under Fergie where we just needed tweaks and freshening up. This squad needs a major overhaul and there should be no softly softly approach to it.

Solskjaer on transfer plans
I don't think you can expect six players coming in. No. That isn't in any club's wishes and I don't think any manager you asked would like to have that kind of change.

I'm realistic enough to think there will be less than six players coming in – in fact, I know there won't be six players coming in. It is a rebuild. We know it's going to take a few windows – and we're not going to get six or seven players in.

We have to take one step of time. Any new player has to be the right player, the right fit. We can't just take players in because we need a body.

See I don't disagree with the sentiment. You don't necessarily want major overhaul. But at the same time this squad isn't anywhere near good enough and that's the reality. A lot of players need to go and need to be replaced with new signings and some of the bright youngsters we have.

Ole is right this needs time and isn't going to happen overnight. We aren't going to be title challengers next year no matter what some might want. But there's a lot of dead wood that needs to go.

I think ideally you would do it quickly but he’s right Utd need to buy sensibly get in 2 or 3 players who will go straight into our starting XI then maybe 1 who’s going to develop through the season. Get 5 or 6 out and maybe bring 1 or 2 up from the academy as well.

Same again next summer and hopefully by then we will be much more competitive.

The issue as always is finding the players who can cope with the pressure and are coming with the right intentions

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back