Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goal on U23’s debut tonight. He’s just a goal scorer, wonderful talent.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It would be a big ask, he is really young. These younger players do need some sort of encouragement though. Maybe chong could have had more bench appearances and maybe 15 minutes game time, particularly if we are chasing the game.

And with our lacklustre attack should be given a chance in the first team and yet he won't.
I am all for giving young players a chance but right now I think Greenwood would be bullied a little, he’s still quite sleight and probably a little lightweight for the rigours of the league. I would say integrate him in training and such but for now he needs to bulk up and just continue to develop. Don’t get me wrong I would love him to burst onto the scene right now but not just yet.

I think the first team jump is to big at this point the gap from academy to first team is huge shame we don't have league cup games maybe if we got a lower league team at home in FA Cup he might make the bench but I think Chong is probably ahead of him for that position at the moment. I think he's waited his turn and is next in line for a chance I was a little disappointed we didn't put him on when he made the bench in that home game vs Juventus as there was absolutely no pressure on him at that point as the game was going nowhere why not gamble.

I guess if we beat Young Boys in CL and Juventus beat Valencia which means we are through they might bring some of them to Valencia for the final game but they'd probably want him to play the youth game in the competition that runs alongside the CL.

There is no need to rush just make sure that there is a plan to get this kid from the academy to the first team being a striker that's going to be tough because of the pressure on that role at a club like Utd but at least have a development plan for him.

I am all for giving young players a chance but right now I think Greenwood would be bullied a little, he’s still quite sleight and probably a little lightweight for the rigours of the league. I would say integrate him in training and such but for now he needs to bulk up and just continue to develop. Don’t get me wrong I would love him to burst onto the scene right now but not just yet.

And Silva, Mata, Sane, Sterling, Hazard and other players are all big and physical? The EPL is a different beast these days. Lots of sleight players are massive successes these days.

Those players in the main have good upper body strength. Also they are all a lot older than mason and may not have been ready at his age. Hard to compare those players to him at this stage.

You can’t compare, Greenwood will be mostly playing with his back to goal if we think his best position is a number 9. You need a degree of body strength to hold the ball up and hold off defenders. Not saying he couldn’t do a job right now but I think let the lad grow a bit more and bring him in when the time is right. Also if you bring him in too early then it could most definitely counter productive.

Also Hazard is as strong as an ox. The others maybe not so much but they rely on their touch and again they are facing the goal for the most part so need other attributes.

Also Hazard is as strong as an ox. The others maybe not so much but they rely on their touch and again they are facing the goal for the most part so need other attributes.

Yep, he might win a lot of free kicks and sometimes a little soft but its purely tactical and he isnt daft - for his body frame and size, hes a tough lad, barges loads of players off him when he's on it.

Who was the last young 17 year old to really break in to the scene and set it alight. Was Rashford 17 at the time. Think he was a year further forward in to his development. If we’re gonna drift away from Lukaku let’s go with Rashford. He’s 21 if we’re going to go with youth he’s our guy for now. Greenwood has got loads of time last thing we want is to rush him forwards and the extra physicality of the league causing him injury and losing a year of his development.

Who was the last young 17 year old to really break in to the scene and set it alight. Was Rashford 17 at the time. Think he was a year further forward in to his development. If we’re gonna drift away from Lukaku let’s go with Rashford. He’s 21 if we’re going to go with youth he’s our guy for now. Greenwood has got loads of time last thing we want is to rush him forwards and the extra physicality of the league causing him injury and losing a year of his development.

Rashford was 17 when he made his debut from memory think he might have made the bench at 16 but there's also Chong who I think is the next in line for a chance ahead of Greenwood.

At times of desperation chuck in the youth is often the line but bringing young players into a team as chaotic as ours I think is wrong unless you were to put 3 or 4 of them in together as I doubt the way these boys play in the U18 or U23 sides is anything like the way the first team plays. Has the Mourinho style made it's way down through the youth team setup?

He wants his centre forward to be a target man like Lukaku it's why he nearly always picks him until injury basically forced his hand. From the clips I see of Greenwood he's not a target man type centre forward he's a runner who wants people to slide him in rather than dealing with long balls into him that he's expected to win. Under LVG we had the ball most of the time so it was much easier to bring a striker into the team who maybe wasn't physically developed as he didn't need to be a target man but in this current team it would be really tough for Greenwood.

The u18s have had a good style of play for a couple of years. Both the 18s and the 23s have adopted a city style of play this season. Lots of passing out from the back starting with the keeper. I agree it would be detrimental to masons progress to throw him in the first team now.

The u18s have had a good style of play for a couple of years. Both the 18s and the 23s have adopted a city style of play this season. Lots of passing out from the back starting with the keeper. I agree it would be detrimental to masons progress to throw him in the first team now.

This is going to be a problem for the players coming through if you want players to come into the first team you need to have your youth teams playing in a similar way doesn't have to be absolutely to the letter but the principle needs to be the same.

It's probably part of the wider argument about Utd losing its identity in the post Ferguson era which if you look at the choices in managers is no real surprise. With the youth teams playing that way it probably feeds into the theory that Mourinho was a short term hire to stop the rot and not really someone they saw as part of a long term project. That may be giving our board to much respect the truth was in a panic they turned to the biggest name available and hoped he'd solve all the problems.

Is there anyone here who follows youth team football closely? Is Greenwood a potential generational talent or do other clubs have players of similar quality coming through?

He is quality. I haven't seen anyone as good as him in the last 12 months at academy level. I think they are still deciding on his best position. He generally plays as a 9 but I have seen him as a 10 and on the flanks too. In the words of rvp, who mason is possibly the closest in style to, he is probably a 9 and a half.

Sounds similar to Rashford when he started to make a lot of noise in youth teams prior to his sudden break through.

I guess like Rashford Greenwood will have to hope for an injury crisis and grasp the opportunity when it comes because you don't get a lot of chance to prove yourself under the current regime just look at players like Periera & Fosu-Mensah who have struggled to make break throughs in weak areas of the squad.

Not trying to diminish Rashford in anyway but I think Greenwood has better technical ability and more attributes to his game. The one area where Rashford trumps him is pace, not saying Greenwood is slow but Rashford is that quick.

Greenwood is supremely two footed which is a joy to see, if you were watching a game for the first time I don’t think you could tell which is his better foot although the left is more dominant when looking at a bigger sample size. I also remember when Martial first arrived and his finishing was lauded, I would say Greenwood is similar with his ice cold look in his eyes when faced with a chance.

I’ve been very vocal on here about his ability and have waxed lyrical about his talent but I truly believe he will be a star. I would be very surprised if he doesn’t go onto have a long career with us and England. Not that I am trying to hype him up or anything! :p

You never really know how a young player will develop as he moves up the ranks, but I have to say with the right development I would be amazed if mason didn't make it.

Has the Mourinho style made it's way down through the youth team setup?
Oh I don't think we should chuck the young lads in to a Mourinho first team! But I'm still hopeful in the next too distant future he's going to be gone.

My understanding is that the younger age groups play a good exciting brand of football all thankfully Jose's style hasn't filtered down. Mind you he's not interested in the youth set up really so why would he.

One of the few shining lights at the club right now. Another two goals and he produced a masterclass performance.

Travelled with the squad for the Valencia game

Just saw a post saying he’s travelled with the team. Pointed out him and one other so I imagine the first team.

Mourinho has said he’s travelled as the 19th man will be on the bench if anyone has to drop out with a problem.

Still a great experience for the youngster.

At this level he is a machine, one of our brightest prospects. We were hanging on a bit at the end but actually managed it pretty well. Sort of reminded me of a league cup final against Liverpool in the 80s where we ended up with macar at right back and Stapleton at centre back.

Apparently he’s been told he will be involved for the FA Cup game vs Reading.

Would be great to see him involved vs Reading. Just to see him make his debut would be a joy for fans because I think he has a real chance of making it here.

Scored two goals against Stoke U18s today.

He now has 24 goals in 20 appearances.

He’s surely earned a spot in the first team squad and possible minutes if we’ve finished off one of the next 4 teams early doors

Two goals against Liverpool U18s.

This kids just seems to have it. Him, Chong and Gomes get me excited for the future. If Ole or Poch gets the job next year then no doubt we’ll see them around the first team getting some time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back