The race to finish in the top four

Sideshow Bob

United are not going to win the league. Liverpool, City and Chelsea will finish 1-3; United are in a fight to finish fourth.

I said at the beginning of the season that we would not finish top 4. I still believe that. Nothing I've seen so far makes me think we are good enough. I guess the only positive has been that Spurs have so far struggled too.

Not totally convinced by Chelsea but can’t see us getting near the other 2 right now feels like best we can hope for is 3rd.

6 games in I think we’ve had 1 convincing performance over 90 minutes in the league vs Burnley.

Things need to change and quick that’s not necessarily sacking the manager but he needs to change something to get this team going.

Fairly easy start to the season and 8 points dropped in 6 games is not good enough going to need a lot more out of the harder games.

Things need to change but we've been saying that for years.

We will learn more about Liverpool over the next month though as they play Chelsea and City in the league and have Napoli in the CL I believe.

United's opening six fixtures:

Leicester (h)
Brighton (a)
Spurs (h)
Burnley (a)
Watford (a)
Wolves (h)

10 points and 8 off top spot given the relatively easier opening fixtures is a poor return.

It’s sad but race for top 4 is all we can hope for after 6 games.

Those fixtures should minimum 13 points 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

Shouldn't this thread be "the race to retrieve even the faintest bit of dignity this season and maybe beat Liverpool to stop them winning the title "?

It’s sad but race for top 4 is all we can hope for after 6 games.

Those fixtures should minimum 13 points 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

Absolutely agree mate. The race for top 4 may become a faint hope if things don't change soon too.

Absolutely agree mate. The race for top 4 may become a faint hope if things don't change soon too.

Sad thing is bloody September and I'm already thinking about not watching matches as I really don't care for this team at the moment.

I know it's doom and gloom but really it feels like FA Cup is all we can hope for now and as for finishing top 4 who really cares if it's Champions League or Europa League next season at least with Europa League we've got a chance of winning it. Winning the CL feels miles away right now.

Sad thing is bloody September and I'm already thinking about not watching matches as I really don't care for this team at the moment.

I feel the same bud. To me I can't associate with this team because the manager is a tool, the players either aren't good enough or don't work hard enough and the football is dire.

I feel the same bud. To me I can't associate with this team because the manager is a tool, the players either aren't good enough or don't work hard enough and the football is dire.

I see players playing for themselves and not each other, I don't think many of them really care about the club they've been inticed by money rather than wanting to win things at Utd because that is how we are attracting players now come to Utd you'll earn a fortune of the back of the brand. As for the manager I can't help but see him as Chelsea he was the enemy for so long and I still kind of see him that way everything I didn't like about him as the manager of another club I now feel like I have to defend because he's in charge of Utd.

Directly or indirectly that club are taking fortunes from the fans and they're p*ssing it up the wall without a plan and now we have to watch our 2 biggest rivals duel for the title for the 2nd time in 6 years. It really feels like every season we look like we are taking steps forward but next season comes along and very quickly we realise we aren't equipped to fight for a title.

I'm there too, feels like the last few months of LVG's tenure to me. I'm losing interest in reading the posts on the forum now due to all the division and it's not worth the hassle with the mrs to watch 2 games a week that are shite.

I can see a full on fan revolt if we lose a good few of the next 6.

If we lose against West Ham I can see Jose starting to lose the job to be honest, something at the club has to change, if it's Jose then so be it, I still want Pogba gone regardless.

The season is a mess already, partly down to the losses, but Pogba keeping us in the papers for all the wrong reasons is not helping. Whoever the mole in the dressing is, he has to go too, although I assume thats something to do with Raiola.

It's a bit depressing to be honest that the season is blown already. I just can't see a way out of this mess without them both going. I think I would hang on to Jose until the summer/Jan when I could bin them both at the same time to prove a point about behavior. Then their is not argument about the club backing one. It's both of you out of line, go.

If we lose against West Ham I can see Jose starting to lose the job to be honest, something at the club has to change, if it's Jose then so be it, I still want Pogba gone regardless.

The season is a mess already, partly down to the losses, but Pogba keeping us in the papers for all the wrong reasons is not helping. Whoever the mole in the dressing is, he has to go too, although I assume thats something to do with Raiola.

It's a bit depressing to be honest that the season is blown already. I just can't see a way out of this mess without them both going. I think I would hang on to Jose until the summer/Jan when I could bin them both at the same time to prove a point about behavior. Then their is not argument about the club backing one. It's both of you out of line, go.
The Jose-Pogba joint circus must gotten rid of ASAP and its not like Pogba is performing like a prime Roy Keane or Vieira either. What worries me is our ability to identify and capacity to lure their replacements especially whether Woodward would resist superstar acquisitions. Jose and LVG had the biggest CVs around when we got them in but the club is yet to appreciate that managers just like players do have a sell-by date. We need to be able to identify a manager who plays the football we want, allow a relative fallow period for a patient rebuild and purchase young, hungry players who can grow within the team.
This fixation with top 4 is too Arsenal like and it pisses me off, we have to build a side to compete in the Champions League with an aim of winning it not build a side to qualify for the CL only to get dumped by the likes of Sevilla. We need to patiently build a team and a team is not just built on multi million pound signings but you also need young lads that have grown from the academy who get what the club is all about.
One thing thats clear to me is that the club can not move forward with Woodward still making decisions on football matters.

Chelsea look like they’re about to pick up another 3 points the draw between Arsenal & Liverpool was a good result for us.

Still feels like it’s going to be a real struggle making top 4 this season especially the way we are starting games right now.

I actually think City run away with it. If I was to bet on it I’d go

City
Chelsea
Arsenal
United
Liverpool
Spurs

Liverpool are the most over rated side by the media and many on here I’ve ever come across

They certainly aren’t the attacking force they were last season but they’ve really tightened up at the back compared to last year and they’ve got a bit more depth.

I agree I think City will disappear into the distance sooner rather than later as eventually teams will drop off the pace.

I think Utd will end up 5th unless we really sort out the defence we can’t keep going behind in games we have to find a way of tightening up and starting games properly.

As much as I would love to see Liverpool fall down like that, I cant see it happening as games they would of cocked up last year, they dont seem to be doing it this year but obviously there is still plenty of time for a downward spiral.

Think everyone is in agreement about City running away with it, as much as it hurts to admit it .... they're just blowing everyone out the water.

Roll on next sunday !

United's opening six fixtures:

Leicester (h)
Brighton (a)
Spurs (h)
Burnley (a)
Watford (a)
Wolves (h)

10 points and 8 off top spot given the relatively easier opening fixtures is a poor return.

We got 10 points from our first 7 including the above 6 and West Ham. Since we've got 10 points against Newcastle Chelsea Everton and Bournemouth. Things are certainly turning in the right direction.

I'm dreading Sunday, I think we will get smashed 3 or 4 nil, more if we keep playing like we did at the back in the first half against B'mouth

The Gap is suddenly down to 8 and doesn’t feel insurmountable like 11 did.

And Chelsea seem to be imploding a bit. Hopefully Arsenal and Spurs will drop a few points too soon.

Still think it’s to much but if we can get 12 from 12 over Xmas you’d hope we will be back in the mix.

The problem for me is we need 2 teams to collapse not 1.

From 11 to 6 in 4 games. Certainly doesn’t seem impossible now!

I dunno, we’ve played well got four wins scored 14 conceded 3. Arsenal and Chelsea don’t look that great, I’d say momentum was with us.

Well... We are back in the hunt. Still don't think we will make it but hey who knows now.

Got ourselves back in the race but still feel like the outside bet can we get to January in the same position.

Europa League could catch out Chelsea & Arsenal that extra round of games is killer and Chelsea also have a league cup semi to squeeze in.

Going perfect 4 wins in 4 over Xmas is huge with all the top sides still to come at home.

Still don’t think we will make it but nice to be back in the race.

A good game against Spurs and coming away with a draw would do Ole no harm at all. Unfortunately we need all the points we can get for 4th.

I don't think there will be anyone saying in the dressing room 'lads, its spurs' this time around.

Think we have a decent chance, these four out of four have helped for sure and Chelsea and Arsenal don’t look amazing right now. If we can grab something out of Spurs then we have a couple more favourable home games - that Spurs will game will be a real test of our mettle though.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back